How many of you eat goose??

Arrow3

I have never tried it...Just looking at a goose you would think he would have a big thick breast like a turkey....I was hunting this morning over at S. Freeman's and watching goose after goose fly over....I know they can't be a good as a turkey or more people would be hunting them....For those of you who eat it, how do you cook it and how does it taste???

red tail

GONetwork Member
I have never ate one myself and was wondering the same thing. I heard they were gressy.

Mrs. Arrow3

Dang baby!

Arrow3 said:
I have never tried it...Just looking at a goose you would think he would have a big thick breast like a turkey....I was hunting this morning over at S. Freeman's and watching goose after goose fly over....I know they can't be a good as a turkey or more people would be hunting them....For those of you who eat it, how do you cook it and how does it taste???

I know times are kinda rough with gas prices and all, but eating goose?????? I don't know if I wanna come down there now or not.... :eek: ::gone:

:bounce:

Dean

I have eaten them

and wild turkey as well - wild turkey breast is a 'white meat' while goose breast is 'dark meat'. I prefer wild turkey a whole lot better.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
I LOVE it..........

ex wife used to make it, some recipe called Brandy Christmas Goose......it was awesome............also have grilled and BBQ'd it.......good either way..........ya don't want yours, drop 'em by the house, Brandon..... :cheers:

Nick_T

Banned
The way I do it is after I felet out the breast, I freeze mine in a fairly strong salution of Dale's Seasoning and water, then when it's thawed out it's already to cook. Cut it up into small cubes and batter and lightly fry. Don't over cook it or it will taste like liver. I call'em Goose Poppers, great snack for Sat. afternoon ballgames.

Nick T

Arrow3

Old thread...Anybody else eat goose?

teethdoc

Man I miss Coon Dawg.

As far as goose goes, I'll quote Crocodile Dundee, "Tastes like ****, but you can live on it."

Arrow3

Man I miss Coon Dawg.

As far as goose goes, I'll quote Crocodile Dundee, "Tastes like ****, but you can live on it."

Yeah...I wish John would come back over here too!!:cool:

Havana Dude

Brandon

About the only goose I've ever eaten is snow goose. We killed 3 on Lake Seminole about 4 years ago. All we could think of to do was smoke em. It actually turned out good. We had supper on em then cleaned the carcasses for sammiches later, with a litle mayo, and it was good eating.

I've eaten them. Reminds me about an old joke about bowling balls and Polish women.

One of the biggest problems is telling their age. If they are not the young of the year, they are about as tough as shoe leather.

Sometimes the meat is tasty, sometimes it tastes almost like liver.

The only consistent way that I've found to eat them is to breast them, marinate in something with a little acid and oil, grill to very rare, and slice thin like you would a London broil.

I have tried to roast them like you would a chicken and have never been very successful.

Goose is not greasy unless you shoot someones pet. I always found it to be drier than a popcorn **** unless you cooked it in a crockpot or slowly on a grill, i have eaten more goose breast than turkey. In NYS, we have resident populations and our bag limits were always very generous.

Best way i found was to breast them out and crockpot them with some veggies and good broth for about 8 hours or so. Another way is to cut them into strips and slow cook them on the grill with basil, rosemary, seasoning salt and a couple of strips of bacon in tinfoil...yum yum...

dixie

I've never had goose, but I have a recipe around here someplace for duck cooked inside a goose, you bake the duck inside it and then toss the goose

Smiley

GONetwork Senator District 44
I use this recipe and they are good.

Cut breast into small chunks. Marinate 4 hrs. Marinate: 2/3 soy sauce to 1/3 sherry Dissolve 4 to 8 tbs. honey in microwave and stir into soy sauce and sherry mixture.
Add 3 garlic cloves.
Press down with weight ( we use a plate) to cover goose with marinate.
After goose has finished marinating--wrap each chunk with a thin slice of bacon add a water chestnut secure on a skewer ( if you use a wooden skewer be sure to soak it in water first) Grill to medium rare. Sprinkle with brown sugar ( very important to do after grilling )

Balvarik,...Congrats...your educated!!! Upstate NY is definitely got killer deer hunting and i have only eve rbeen in NYC once when i was a little snot and i do not care to ever and i mean EVER go back to that cesspool ever again. I take pride in the fact that when i fish on the Cannonsville, Downsville or Pepacton reservoirs and i take a leak in the water, that it is the drinking water for the fine people of New York City!!!

I still stand behind my recipes for goose though...;)

Kdog

I use this recipe and they are good.

Cut breast into small chunks. Marinate 4 hrs. Marinate: 2/3 soy sauce to 1/3 sherry Dissolve 4 to 8 tbs. honey in microwave and stir into soy sauce and sherry mixture.
Add 3 garlic cloves.
Press down with weight ( we use a plate) to cover goose with marinate.
After goose has finished marinating--wrap each chunk with a thin slice of bacon add a water chestnut secure on a skewer ( if you use a wooden skewer be sure to soak it in water first) Grill to medium rare. Sprinkle with brown sugar ( very important to do after grilling )

Did you make these at the Vogel cook out? Can't remember who it was, but someone made them similar to this and they were great. Think I ate about 20 of them. :bounce: :bounce:

Kdog

Hogtown

My Dad's recipe for goose is as follows: Stuff the goose and roast it like you would a turkey. Take it out of the oven, and make a gravy with the drippings. Throw the goose and stuffing away and eat the gravy.