DIY deer cooler

Arrow Flinger

I always hated trying to find somewhere to hang my deer after an evening hunt (especially during early season when it is very warm) so I solved the problem by building my own, I have a pole barn and framed in a 4 x 8 area with 2 x 8's. Put 8 inches of insultion in the walls, ceiling and floor and built a 2 x 6 insulated door and sealed it all up with Great stuff foam. For cooling, I use a 220 volt ac unit. It will turn off at 36' and back on at 40'. I had a problem with the unit freezing up at temps below 45' so I added a small fan blowing into the unit and that took care of the problem. Once it gets to temp, it runs very little if the door is left closed. I put one of those inside-outside temp gauge in it so I can see the inside temp without opening the door.

I also built a lift system so I can back up the truck, hook the deer up to the hoist and lift it from the truck to the cooler door. Another hoist inside pulls the deer to the hanger rod. I used it all last year and it sure was nice to have somewhere to hang my deer, hogs ect at home. It also makes a great place for off season storage of all my stands and other hunting stuff.

The same setup could be built free standing by adding some roofing.

100_3004.jpg

100_3006.jpg

Arrow3

Thats a nice set up Tim!!

Chuck C

My old club made one years ago out of a closet. We used the refrigeration unit from a walk in cooler and a bunch of Styrofoam insulation.

Froze the whole thing solid, it turned two deer into solid blocks of ice the condensation froze the door shut.

Beehaw

Why does the hunting clothing and stands need to be kept so cold n the off season? Just kidding, but it you will post it that way (say it reduces the UV signature) you will have people doing it.

Great idea. Now you have me thinking.