has anyone heard wma's might close

buckfever86

i was talking to game wardin and he told me 16 wma's are on a list to be slayed off. that means its turns into forest land and no game wardins . it also means it gets hunted every single day of the season,which in the end means less dear being seen, and no more nice managed deer. no more adult/child hunts. we need these set dates to hunt so that we can have these hunts for our kids and other people to get interested in huntin.

its all b/c they r cuttin on cost of labor and the cost of keeping up on the land. to me it sucks and they only way to hopefully save them is to send letters in to the in control of this decision.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Has anybody heard which 16 WMAs it is?

Hoyt man

I was told cedar creek and BF Grant were two of em. not for sure though. just what Ive been told

buckfever86

cohutta, johns mtn, blue ridge, r in the next two weeks. pigeons on the line of being on this list.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I was told the State would drop the ones on US Forest Lands.

contender*

cohutta, johns mtn, blue ridge, r in the next two weeks. pigeons on the line of being on this list.

I've heard they were going to cut back on patrols of those areas. Hard for me to believe that they would shut them down.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
BF Grant is owned primarily by UGA. I understand if it happens it is to be those on Federal land, like national forests. Places like Cedar Creek and Redlands will be in that group.

Should we be writing the governor or sumpin :huh:

SGaither

because of the state budget crunch a lot of services available to us are being considered for "cutting." I believe there are 13 state parks that are also being discussed for fund cutting. One budget cut we all will quickly experience is game wardens have a budget of only $300.00 per month for gas. With the rising cost of gas it is hard to imagine how many of the rural areas will be covered.

GA DAWG

BF Grant is owned primarily by UGA. I understand if it happens it is to be those on Federal land, like national forests. Places like Cedar Creek and Redlands will be in that group.

Should we be writing the governor or sumpin :huh:
I heard that some leased wmas may be on the block as well...That very well could be BF....Somebody needs to call uga and get our name on the list to lease it..Woodys or Gon hunting club:shoot:

Minner

As has been said, it's WMA's on USFS land in north Georgia. They won't be "closed down" exactly, but there will be no DNR management I believe. No food plots, roads maintained, and especially, no managed hunts. This is the part that really bothers me. John's Mtn., Cohutta are two that I know will be affected if this happens.

I'm definitely sending off letters. My Dad has already contacted his representatives as well as called the governor's office. You can contact the governor here: http://gov.georgia.gov/00/gov/contact_us/0,2657,78006749_94820188,00.html . I'm not sure what the mailing address is for him.

buckfever86

:(i hated to start this thread simply b/c so many people dont know. but i figured i let the cat out to let everyone know. sorry guys.:(

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
It`s better to find now.

diamondback

Thanks Minner for the link to the governor.I sent him a nice letter telling him what I think .With this forum having over 22000 members,if only half of those let him know what we think about these cuts I think he would listen.

k_g_b

We don't need WMAs. We need to send the Gov back to China for a couple more trips so we can get their crappy products into Georgia.

I honestly believe there is plenty of money they just don't know how to spend it properly.

Minner

Thanks Minner for the link to the governor.I sent him a nice letter telling him what I think .With this forum having over 22000 members,if only half of those let him know what we think about these cuts I think he would listen.

You're welcome, diamonback. It would be nice if half the Woody's members would do that, but as I have been a prime example in the past (but am working hard to change in the future) hunters are notoriously silent on the issues that affect them.

win280

Here is what I don't understand.
If cutting the budget has to happen. Why close the federal and Corp of Engineer lands.Why not drop the leases from the timber companies. That land would still be leased from private clubs.

whitworth

Well if the state gets real desperate

they can shut down some of those South Georgia high school football teams, along with their high schools.

Some of these small South Georgia counties should consolidate and some school systems need consolidation. We have counties attempting to operate with 7,500, 10,000, 12,500 people in their entire county.

With hunting, we might see the end of the Quota hunting system, that requires the specific presence of wildlife officials.

Lots of jumping on barbed wire with the above.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Here is what I don't understand.
If cutting the budget has to happen. Why close the federal and Corp of Engineer lands.Why not drop the leases from the timber companies. That land would still be leased from private clubs.

The land is not being closed. The upgrades made by WRD are being lost but the public land such as National Forest lands will still be open for hunting.

That aside, this is still a serious crisis and the need for response by Georgia's Sportsmen/women is great!

www.camocoalition.org