Georgia Hunting experience

buckpasser

This started as a thread I was interested in. Being a public land guy until I lucked into a lease with an open slot for this season, the public vs private hunting, if there could/should variation of regs dates harvest limits of public vs private, and the growing number of public guys who are switching from private because they lost their lease...I think there's real merit to discussion of how regs should be modified as the state hunting landscape evolves, if at all.

Also the perception a lot of new public guys have that deer populations are low vs DNR data there's more than people think - me personally, when I started learning to scout better, I started finding deer on public land. I suspect guys used to private food plots, corn piles, and farms aren't seeing the deer because public land is a different style of hunting altogether and the no deer around belief is a function of not yet having learned to find 'em for newer public guys.

Great topics to talk about. Instead it's a farmer flame war now. I wish there was a super like button for the trainwreck picture.

Basically any thread topic you could post has been posted before, many times, and fleshed out at great length. DNR or the legislature won’t care what great ideas we spitball up here anyway, so don’t be too disappointed.

As for my part of the train wreck though, I apologize.

Nimrod71

Waddam, you are right, hunting public land is different than hunting private, no corn piles and few food plots. It's a different game on public land. I use to hunt WMA's a lot but back then baiting was illegal and learned how to scout and track from my early days. I soon learned to hunt deer sign and I learned how to interpret it. There was no fast way of killing deer back then, you had to put in the work and time to get one.

As for deer numbers, there are a lot of deer out there, you just have to work for them You have to follow the sign and pick the right stand and sit quite, pay attention and be patient. I learned these things over my many years of hunting and killing deer, and I can kill more deer now than I could when I got started.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
@buckpasser do you agree???

Debates / disagreements aren’t dirt clods fights lol
Well y’all where going back and forth for a while and I was add humor to a friends post. As in jioking with him.
BTW A dirt clod fight goes like u pitch something. I pitch back. We both dodge the dirt clod. I pitch. U pitch back.
It’s a Metaphor.
Guess if u want to u can turn it around into something else.
Carry on.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Well y’all where going back and forth for a while and I was add humor to a friends post. As in jioking with him.
BTW A dirt clod fight goes like u pitch something. I pitch back. We both dodge the dirt clod. I pitch. U pitch back.
It’s a Metaphor.
Carry on.
Everything is cool. I know what you meant. You’ve always been a good one to cut up with :cheers:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
It’s a Metaphor.
Carry on.
Not in north Georgia.

Those clay dirt clods are hard as bricks, and we use to chunk them at each other with the velocity of a 30mm cannon. If you did manage to not get popped up side the noggin, you were sure to catch one on an arm or leg and get a big scrape. It seemed like it was always the youngest brother that caught one with a noggin lump.

Try explaining that to Mama.

bigblocktransam

No topic is going to run 100 posts and be “on topic”. Years ago the corn verses food plots argument turned into chicken livers.

Pressure on any tract affects deer movement. I’ve learned on public land that the closer to the roads you are, the more people you run into. The numbers are fine, if you have too many does, shoot more, if you don’t have enough, shoot less. I’m glad the state gives us a little room there to make decisions for ourselves.

One thing I think would help public land is accessibility of the gated off side roads. There’s a ton of land out there that’s gated off.

Bingo. There’s really nothing to change from a regulatory point.

It’s actually connected to the low numbers propaganda, and forcing any landowner into opening up their land isn’t the answer.

Here’s the thing, and I’ve seen it posted here before the classic, hunt harder, hunt deeper find the sign… trust me, i know. It’s not a fact of clubs and food plots. In 1 weeks time, first week of November, not going to name the area, it is popular and it is large, also in an area that should have a good many deer, I put 6.2 miles of boot leather down, 6.2 miles! I found 1 place with good buck sign, but more people sign to go with it. The lack of sign and deer sightings was poor. As a matter of fact the only deer seen in those 5 days were on private land about a mile up the road. I’ve been through swamps, pine thickets, a ton of private land edges along creeks, ridges ect. I could find a little sign here and there around significant food sources. Most of the food sources aren’t even utilized. We’re below our carrying capacity, especially on public lands. As far as gated access I have 2, not 1 but 2 ebikes, they’ve got 180 miles on them already each. I hunt the mountains too, ironically I’ve found more buck sign in the mountains than I’ve found on said “WMA” some of the mountain access 1 place in particular is 2.2 miles from the gate to where I park the bike and walk another 400 yards. Lack of scouting and knowledge is not the problem here. I’d love to really say what I think about our management but it falls on deaf ears and most are to ignorant to know any better. The comments about what it was like in the 60s 70s is even more ignorant LOL. Go tell a black dude if he thinks he dealing with racism, tell him well it’s better than the 60s. I don’t understand why anyone is satisfied with mediocre and don’t expect better results. I get it, it’s all run by the government after all. I see a lot of hypocrites as well, one obviously is blessed with great private land, he post the photos and most of you drool over it and worship the guy, then he says some stupid like it’s better then it was. Ok wise guy, let’s turn you lose on these lands a while and see if you have a change of heart?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Here’s the thing, and I’ve seen it posted here before the classic, hunt harder, hunt deeper find the sign… trust me, i know. It’s not a fact of clubs and food plots. In 1 weeks time, first week of November, not going to name the area, it is popular and it is large, also in an area that should have a good many deer, I put 6.2 miles of boot leather down, 6.2 miles! I found 1 place with good buck sign, but more people sign to go with it. The lack of sign and deer sightings was poor. As a matter of fact the only deer seen in those 5 days were on private land about a mile up the road. I’ve been through swamps, pine thickets, a ton of private land edges along creeks, ridges ect. I could find a little sign here and there around significant food sources. Most of the food sources aren’t even utilized. We’re below our carrying capacity, especially on public lands. As far as gated access I have 2, not 1 but 2 ebikes, they’ve got 180 miles on them already each. I hunt the mountains too, ironically I’ve found more buck sign in the mountains than I’ve found on said “WMA” some of the mountain access 1 place in particular is 2.2 miles from the gate to where I park the bike and walk another 400 yards. Lack of scouting and knowledge is not the problem here. I’d love to really say what I think about our management but it falls on deaf ears and most are to ignorant to know any better. The comments about what it was like in the 60s 70s is even more ignorant LOL. Go tell a black dude if he thinks he dealing with racism, tell him well it’s better than the 60s. I don’t understand why anyone is satisfied with mediocre and don’t expect better results. I get it, it’s all run by the government after all. I see a lot of hypocrites as well, one obviously is blessed with great private land, he post the photos and most of you drool over it and worship the guy, then he says some stupid like it’s better then it was. Ok wise guy, let’s turn you lose on these lands a while and see if you have a change of heart?
All I can tell you is I would consider a few things:

1. Ever fished on credit (no bait)? When scouting, you’re not supposed to hunt poor sign. Probably not going to see much action, either - hunting on credit. Find new dirt. There’s many more WMA’s out there besides the one you’re referring to.

2. Those from the 60’s and 70’s are consistently finding and killing deer. Their comments might not be so ignorant.

3. Attend public meetings. Express yourself where it counts. Many complain here that their voices are unheard. Their voices are unheard because they remain silent or don’t attend the public meetings.

bigblocktransam

All I can tell you is I would consider a few things:

1. Ever fished on credit (no bait)? When scouting, you’re not supposed to hunt poor sign. Probably not going to see much action, either - hunting on credit. Find new dirt. There’s many more WMA’s out there besides the one you’re referring to.

2. Those from the 60’s and 70’s are consistently finding and killing deer. Their comments might not be so ignorant.

3. Attend public meetings. Express yourself where it counts. Many complain here that their voices are unheard. Their voices are unheard because they remain silent or don’t attend the public meetings.

Avid fisherman here.. I don’t fish on credit and don’t hunt on credit. That’s the whole point!! Miles of boot leather and can’t find anything that gets exciting. Sure I could hunt about anywhere eventually going to see a deer. I’m not looking for small bucks and does, heck I can’t even eat a deer, or any mammal for that fact and that’s not by choice. I consider myself a pretty successful hunter, but I have seen this state better in the past. We act like we can’t have quality and quantity. We can, this is Georgia, no it’s not Midwest Ag country, but it isn’t north Michigan either. I really don’t know how of y’all settle for mediocre anything. Do you settle for a mediocre paycheck? Or are you improving and striving for better? Don’t get me started on our states fishing either, that’s about as bad as our deer management. That has declined as well. Same stories on that side, you got to fish harder. Yea well TVA has got it figured out with excellent fisheries, yet our DNR stocks a bunch of non native fish, meanwhile spotted bass have taken over just about all lakes i20 and northward, they combat it by stocking fingerling largemouth that if I had to guess the survival rate is probably worse than our fawn survival rate.

As far as public meetings and voices heard, we have a state biologist that is regular here, voices are heard. He knows exactly what’s said, that’s about a solid of a voice to have. So that’s all I’m going to say about that..

dang

DANG !!!
Avid fisherman here.. I don’t fish on credit and don’t hunt on credit. That’s the whole point!! Miles of boot leather and can’t find anything that gets exciting. Sure I could hunt about anywhere eventually going to see a deer. I’m not looking for small bucks and does, heck I can’t even eat a deer, or any mammal for that fact and that’s not by choice. I consider myself a pretty successful hunter, but I have seen this state better in the past. We act like we can’t have quality and quantity. We can, this is Georgia, no it’s not Midwest Ag country, but it isn’t north Michigan either. I really don’t know how of y’all settle for mediocre anything. Do you settle for a mediocre paycheck? Or are you improving and striving for better? Don’t get me started on our states fishing either, that’s about as bad as our deer management. That has declined as well. Same stories on that side, you got to fish harder. Yea well TVA has got it figured out with excellent fisheries, yet our DNR stocks a bunch of non native fish, meanwhile spotted bass have taken over just about all lakes i20 and northward, they combat it by stocking fingerling largemouth that if I had to guess the survival rate is probably worse than our fawn survival rate.

As far as public meetings and voices heard, we have a state biologist that is regular here, voices are heard. He knows exactly what’s said, that’s about a solid of a voice to have. So that’s all I’m going to say about that..
So what would you change?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy

dang! I would take up golf if I were you, and not bother going to the lake or woods

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader

I really don’t know how of y’all settle for mediocre anything.

I admit, I don’t understand your problem……….I’m seeing deer, and my freezer is full.

They may be mediocre, though,

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Geez, Louise.. facepalm:

All it takes is a brief stroll thru these forums to see that deer season is going VERY well in Georgia.

Lot's of folks are killing nice bucks, and have you noticed all the KIDS that have had success so far?

There have been a butt load of fine stories told and experiences shared among the best bunch of like minded hunting buddies that I have ever been a part of..

I can say without a doubt that The Georgia Hunting Experience, is NOT the problem...

Last edited:

bigblocktransam

So what would you change?

Apparently nothing then, I was curious how every one else felt. what I’m told is it can’t get no better. Just still can’t figure out why we’re paying YouTubers $23,000.00 to promote hunting since we’re such a destination state. Used to be told DNR was under budgeted, apparently it’s so good now we got money to blow. Killmaster has y’all on a tight leash.

buckpasser

What the heck is going on in here?

across the river

What the heck is going on in here?

This is the redneck equivalent of someone living in public housing complaining that their house isn’t big or nice enough and saying the shouldn’t have to “settle” for it when the people in the gated community up the street have a nicer and bigger house.