Georgia Hunting experience

furtaker

Yep.

Hate is a word that I try to keep out of my vocabulary but I have an awful powerful dislike that infernal place. Been a long time since I`ve been there. I don`t plan to ever go there again.
I have family members who live there and love it. I'll never understand it but I'm glad that everybody doesn't love the woods and remote places like I do. That would definitely cause a problem.

kayaksteve

I think we have it very good in Georgia. Sure, things can always be better in any situation but I think there is a good balance to please most everyone whether they stand on the opportunity or quality side of the discussion. There’s places in the state to do both. I love the idea of more access and public land but I don’t know if it’s feasible as DNR aren’t able to manage some lands we have now as much as we or they would like. I don’t think most private land owners or hunters would be happy about the neighboring property being opened up to public access either. Your never going to please everyone but I think they do their best to please as many as possible

ucfireman

57% of Georgia population live in the Atlanta area. The Atlanta area can control the whole state. It is estimated that over 6,000,000 people live in the Atlanta area. Getting them to support the purchase of new WMA lands would be a win fall, but what are the chances.
You may be able to get the metro to say ok to WMAs. You would just have to sell to them as "green space" and not WMAs Preserved for ever as wild and undeveloped.
Sportsmen need a few loud and vocal lobbyists. That spin things for the sell but are really for their own interests (like the dems do)

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Where did I mention more government? I was talking about an app on you phone to link land owners who want to decrease their local deer population and hunters.

In the way in which I understood your post it was here:
Agreed if the farmers want the deer cleared off their land to protect the crops let them open their land to hunters.

Most farmers would not open their land to just anyone voluntarily, their right to refuse would have to first be taken from them by the .Gov. Post #71 above explains how the try of a similar idea of a volunteer system but with hogs instead of deer went. It failed dramatically with 3.600 hunters signing up for each of the 5 farms that were volunteered. The poster is one of the most knowledgeable people I am aware of about deer in GA. I will quote it here so you don't have to go back to look:
We tried something very similar with hogs a few years ago, 18,000 hunters signed up but only 5 farmers signed up. The reality is that most farmers that want to lease their land to hunters already do, and many of them complain that their lessees don't kill enough deer. Another very common situation is that the landowner is not the farmer, but leases farming rights to one person and hunting rights to another.

Latest posts