Knee Replacement

dslary

I am debating on having knee replacement surgery. I would like to know the opinion of those who have had it done themselves. Particularly would like to hear from those who are significantly overweight like myself, 345#.
Was recovery difficult? Would you do it again?, Etc.

cball917

i personally have not but my grandfather just had it done. he is 62 yrs old and around 300lbs. had bad knees for years. had it done within the past year and is walkin and feeling better than he ever had before. he said the other day he wished he had done it sooner. i think he is gettin the other one done soon

shotgun

I had it done Oct '08 and DO NOT recomend it unless you are in bad pain all the time. I lost 60lbs and that didn't do me any good.
Went to phycial therpy for six months and still can't bend my knee.
The pain is gone until it rains!
But having said that if I was going to have it done again I would go to one doctor and only one. That is Dr Jim Andrews in Birminham AL.
Once you have it done and if you have problems there is nobody that will take you trust me I have tried!!!!!!!!!!
Andrews is the best.
Shotgun

30 06

Have too knee replacements, don't regret either sure feels better. Takes about a month plus i'm over weight no real problems noted with knee replacements there are limitations your Dr will explain like walking on the roof of your house a no no, skiing, walking on slopes, ladders.

trb1031

Physical Activity

As a physical educator I can voice my opinion based on he knowledge I have from studying physical activity and health. I would follow some of the other advice on this thread and begin with a serious diet and physical activity (not necessarily running a mile everyday or working out in the gym, even though that is a good goal to shoot for, but doing things as little as parking at the end of parking lots and taking the stairs to stay active and increase muscle and bone strength). Knee surgeries are basically only as good as the rehab put back into them.

:biggrin3:

ponyboy

As a physical educator I can voice my opinion based on he knowledge I have from studying physical activity and health. I would follow some of the other advice on this thread and begin with a serious diet and physical activity (not necessarily running a mile everyday or working out in the gym, even though that is a good goal to shoot for, but doing things as little as parking at the end of parking lots and taking the stairs to stay active and increase muscle and bone strength). Knee surgeries are basically only as good as the rehab put back into them.

:biggrin3:

what he said .................

jmfauver

My father-in-law just had his done in March...He is 6ft4in and 350.He tried losing weight and all,but he just put it back on,he is now playing golf pain free.The recovery time is really up to you and the effort you put into it...Make sure that whatever you do you and your doctor are working togehter.....

Two New Knees~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`>

Hello, I am not bad over weigth but over 200 pounds.

I have had both off my knees replaced, By Dr. Mahoney in Athens, Ga.

Would Do it again, but Sooner. I am a rabbit hunter and walk a lots, was about to have to give up my hounds, as my knees were wore out at 65 years old!

Dr. Mahoney said if I did what they ask, I would be back in wanting the other one repalce in about 90 days!

Yes, he was right had them both done and never have experance any problems, at All!!

Best thing I ever did!!

Keep looking Up.
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Royston, G:banana:a.~~~~~~~~>:banana::banana:

Brassman

Before, the surgery, see if your Dr has a particular physical therapist he wants you to use. Otherwise, select one you like & let them evaluate both knees. This way, they know how you were before the surgery. This is much better than them only seeing you after the surgery.

TimBray

I go back to work June 16th after having both of mine done Mar. 22nd. I was up to 311 @ 6' in '07 but am now at 245. I put surgery off as long as I could by doing the synthetic joint fluid injections for about 8 yrs. When the last round (Oct. '09) gave no relief, the doc said it was time. Dr. James Roberson at Emory Ortho did mine and did a superb job. He told me I would have considerably less pain afterwards and that it would be surgical pain for the most part. He was right and my rehab went very smoothly. I was released 2 days early after walking the halls (w/ a walker) the 3rd day after surgery. I did go after my exercises like a madman even though there was some pain but it was worth it. The therapist who came to my house said I was a therapists dream and told me she didn't need to come any more as I was way past her help after 1 1/2 wks. At my 6 wk. check-up the Dr. was floored by my mobility and that I was walking w/ a cane and told me if I was comfortable w/out it, I could stop using it. :fine: My outside PT only had me come 2X week for 3 weeks, then 1X week for 3. Everyone says I am the exception to the rule. :clap: Your experience may vary but hopefully not. ;)

Tim

bobman

Gastric bypass surgery would be something you should look into if you can not diet it off

Not being insulting I let my weight creep up to 330 and my knees and everything else was hurting. Atkins got me back to 190 and no pain any more.

dbodkin

I had TKR on 9/9/09 The recovery went very well. I was walking un aided in 3 weeks. My Physical Terrorist was great and released me two weeks early. Now the bad news. On Christmas day I slipped and broke my fibula. A spiral break and a very bad sprained ankle. Thats not the worse part. The break caused trauma to the nerve going down the leg & toes. I now have drop foot. I cant pull my foot up, lift my toes or spread my toes. Terrible nerve pain which the normal meds dont help with. I trully believe had I not been worried about the knee as I went down I could have rolled and had less damage. But all I could think of was please Lord.. Not the Knee::; I saw my ankle in my peripheral vision I heard snaps & pops. Horrible pain and a 911 call.... Just a boot splint , no cast. I was told that the new protocol they seldom cast small breaks.. So I hobbled around for 9 weeks with a boot splint. I now wear an AFO for the drop foot & walk with a cane :mad:

I also was somewhat disappointed when I asked the ortho Dr about prospects of hiking, joggin or running and he replied the appliance was meant to stop the pain and allow you to walk. NO running and if you hike you will wear it out sooner.

Bottom line.. In hind sight I would live with the pain and not have TKR... My left knee is also going and I will not have it done...

The TKR has ruined my hunting, hiking, Harley riding...:mad:

cbaldwin

farther in law had one about six weeks later he was cutting his own lawn with a push mower and has helped in the garden some however he did just what the dr said

DYI hunting

Today I went to the doctor for knee pain and them giving away. They gave me a huge syringe in each knee behind the kneecap. It was painful but seems to be working great. I don't know if something like that might be an alternate to surgery.

I am only 200 pounds right now, but I have severe cartilage damage to both knees from years of abuse from the Army and skateboarding.

dbodkin

I had the synvisc done twice it helped but is just a "Band-aide" Lasted about a year both times. Here are my X-rays after the break...:mad:

Attachments

• broken fibula.jpg
    broken fibula.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 298
  • front knee.jpg
    front knee.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 311
  • new knee.jpg
    new knee.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 291

TimBray

Today I went to the doctor for knee pain and them giving away. They gave me a huge syringe in each knee behind the kneecap. It was painful but seems to be working great. I don't know if something like that might be an alternate to surgery.

I am only 200 pounds right now, but I have severe cartilage damage to both knees from years of abuse from the Army and skateboarding.

Probably cortisone- usually good for about 90 days, IIRC. And yes, SynVisc is a "band-aid" and that is what it's for. It started off lasting a year for me, then down to every 6 months. But it allows you to put off surgery until absolutely necessary. :fine: :flag:

Tim

oldmanbill

Had both done about 6 months apart, best thing I ever done. Do what they tell you and you will be fine.

dbodkin

Before you get it done ask the Ortho DR if you can run, jog, hike.... Post TKR.... If he is honest he will say yes but I'll be seeing you in the OR much sooner. TKR last maybe 15-20 years. Running or jogging will wear the plastic out ... Had I known this I would have put up with the pain. My left knee is nearly shot but I refuse to have the second operation. I did everything they told me. I have excellant mobility and well over 120 degrees flexion but the TKR took a lot of physical activity out of my life.... By the way my drop foot may not be attributed to the break in the fibula. It is a very common thing that during TKR surgery the Peroneal nerve can be stretch and nerve damage will result in numbness on the top of the foot, burning nerve pain, and the inability to flex the foot up or spread the toes. End result is drop foot and the need to wear an AFO brace. Possible release of the nerve area but thats another story and a trip to the OR.

Bottom line.. Ask all the questions first....