Osprey International Scope

bluejonesbrothers

I traded a gun for two Osprey International scopes this past weekend at the gun show in Gainesville. One is a 6x24x50 and one is a 3x9x42. Both have illuminating recticles. the deem to be nice for the money. Just wondering if anyone on here HAS or Had one, and what their thoughts were.

you see them everywhere at gunshows because they are cheap chinese scopes that have alot of "features". you really see them all over the AR15 rifles because of their tact-i-cool apperances. lots of people don't know better and see a "cool" scope and it adds to the lust factor over the weapon in question. i would pass, to many other quality scope makers out there to settle on chi-comm units.

bluejonesbrothers

Its a little too late to back out since I already have them, but I do understand they wont compare to a fine optic, but on the bright side the gun only cost 150 in 1990, and I didnt like it any way. The larger scope is on my 7mag and its gotta be better than that crappy bushnell. Haha. Thanks for the input though.

NOYDB

BANNED
Did some reading on different forums.

1. as usual there's a lot of smoke from people that: have not even looked thru one, but were going to tell you all about them.

2. Folks that sneer at ANY scope that doesn't cost north of $500.

3. There were people that said they had problems and those that said they used and abused them and everything worked fine.

The overall impression I got from people with actual hands on experience was that those that worked, were acceptable and seemed to continue to work well if they worked at first. Those that had problems seemed to have them right out of the box.

One of the "problems" seemed to be the way the adustment rings were secured, three small screws that if not done evenly caused problems.

Try them and see if you have "good" ones.

gkdir

If the scopes were new , they came with a "very small" allen wrench. There is a small hole in the side of the verticle, horizontal, and theAO knobs. Make sure the allen screws that are in those holes get tightened regularly, that way the knobs won't come off as you throw the scopes out the window at the first opportunity. Been their--done that !

Did some reading on different forums.

1. as usual there's a lot of smoke from people that: have not even looked thru one, but were going to tell you all about them.

2. Folks that sneer at ANY scope that doesn't cost north of $500.

3. There were people that said they had problems and those that said they used and abused them and everything worked fine.

The overall impression I got from people with actual hands on experience was that those that worked, were acceptable and seemed to continue to work well if they worked at first. Those that had problems seemed to have them right out of the box.

One of the "problems" seemed to be the way the adustment rings were secured, three small screws that if not done evenly caused problems.

Try them and see if you have "good" ones.

no smoke from me, i've looked through them before, they seem ok. at the end of the day, you get what you pay for. i honestly hope the OP "got one of the good ones". i always try to give acurate info when asked, i will never give a chi-comm scope the time of day. they rip off real scope companies from the US and sell tacticool look alikes. that's good enough for the average gun/hobbiest i guess.

NOYDB

BANNED
We should all drive Ferrari's, have Yachts and date Super Models.

Some times you have to make do until then.

There's no way to prove one way or another, but if there were, I'd put good money down that more deer and whatever have been killed by guns with "cheap" scopes than the expensive ones. Mainly because the shooter could afford to both have the scope and go hunting.

We should all drive Ferrari's, have Yachts and date Super Models.

Some times you have to make do until then.

There's no way to prove one way or another, but if there were, I'd put good money down that more deer and whatever have been killed by guns with "cheap" scopes than the expensive ones. Mainly because the shooter could afford to both have the scope and go hunting.

I'd agree with you on that one. I spend a lot of time around gun stores (a lot of my free time), and the large majority of scopes I see purchased are < $500.00. People don't see the need, and rightfully so, to plop a $2K scope on top of their Savage 30-06 to kill a white tail deer.

let me make my self clear, there are plenty of quality scopes that aren't chi-comm garbage. i'm not a glass snob, but also believe you get what you pay for. burris, weaver, bushnell, and yes leupold, etc... all have scope lines that are affordable and retain quality. i never said you had to have a 2k scope on a deer rifle, i'll never understand why someone would buy a chinese over a a quality scope. with very little research excellent deals can be found and hunters, sportsmen, plinkers can have quality glass at a decent price. i always try to purchase optics that i can hand down to my kids and not support the chinese all in the same purchase. it's a free market, so by all means vote with your wallets and buy what pleases you. the OP ask about a scope brand and i add my opinion, which is what he ask for.

NOYDB

BANNED
You're kinda hung up on the location of mfc.

Might as well get used to it. And add India to your list of things to get used to. Between the two they represent half the people on the planet.

Don't know how old you are, but I remember when "made in Japan" meant cheap, low quality carp. Now people brag about having something from Japan. The Chineese had Japan as an example and their quality has increased much faster then the Japaneese did. Their internal markets are becomming more demanding too.

"Made in China" doesn't automatically mean junk.

Want to start a pool on the date of the first 4x4 full size "Chineese" truck sold in California?

i agree that the chinese will be selling car/trucks here soon. i'm 38 and do remember the made in japan stuff being junk. i know that the optics company vortex sells chinese made optics, just like millet. both have good reputations and are American owned. i shop around, research and do my best to buy American. i want to support our nation and it's work force any time i can. i have only recently joined GON because AR15.com is blocked at work, what i see constantly is people buying "tacticool" looking over function and quality. NCStar, Barska, Leepers, etc...rip off and reverse engineer products from this country and it cost American in many ways. for example aimpoints are expensive but a cost effective alternative is the SPOT red dot, solid, comes with mount, flip covers and made in south korea for 165 bucks. someone doesn't have to break the bank to get a red dot that you can punch paper, hunt, etc....with and not by some knock off chinese copy. i really feel like people have the freedom to vote with their wallets and should, when i first got into black rifles in the 90's i bought "cheaper" so i could afford more, now i have had to replace almost everything i cheaped out on, buying twice has cost me more money in the long run. the OP will probably never have trouble out of his Ospry optics, i have seen them at gun shows and some seem pretty solid, just like the millet scopes. i just feel giulty supporting a country that is biulding it's military to confront the U.S. with the funds that we give it by buying their products. at the end of the day, i just want the money i spend to stay in the US, not go to a foriegn country. as i posted before Leupold and Burris both have affordable lines of scopes for many different roles. i just hate that American business men have to have factories in other countries in order to stay in business. when all is said and done, everyone needs to buy what they want and what they like. Me, i'll always buy American first

abrannon

I got an Osprey 10x40x50 for Christmas. It is a decent scope with some nice features. I have it mounted on a NEF 308 and so far it holds Zero.

The optics are clear in Full Sun light. The clarity drops fast as the light fades at the end of the day. Again so far so good.

It does not come close to my Night Force 12x42x56, but at 1/10th the price that is to be expected.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
As far as scopes go....buy whatever floats your boat. You're never going to get a united consensus on a scope here.

I'm not sure I really understand the purpose of the original post of this thread anyway....it seems that you would ask about the quality of a scope (or anything else) before you buy or trade for it. After you already have it, what difference does it make what other people think about it? You either like it and use it, or you don't.

As far as whether or not you got a good deal....are you happy with it? If you are, then it was a good deal. You can take a deal that you are happy with and make it a bad deal if you ask enough people their opinions.......

bluejonesbrothers

As far as scopes go....buy whatever floats your boat. You're never going to get a united consensus on a scope here.

I'm not sure I really understand the purpose of the original post of this thread anyway....it seems that you would ask about the quality of a scope (or anything else) before you buy or trade for it. After you already have it, what difference does it make what other people think about it? You either like it and use it, or you don't.

As far as whether or not you got a good deal....are you happy with it? If you are, then it was a good deal. You can take a deal that you are happy with and make it a bad deal if you ask enough people their opinions.......

The purpose was just to hear what the general consensus was on the scopes. i am happy with my deal as I did not have 600 to spend on one scope. I had a gun to trade that had been sitting in my closet for close to 20 years. It was purchsed for 150 back in 1990 by my dad. I took it shooting once and really disliked it. At the gun show I asked one company that had high end american optics if they wanted to trade, to which they replied thier license really didnt allow that. The guys with the ospreys said yes, that they would let me pick any two they had and give me a t shirt. One scope is for my AR. It is made to mount on my carry handle, the other for a seven mag, to replace a crappy 3x9x40 bushnell. I use my rifles for fun, and for hunting. I am more than pleased that for one gun I didnt use and didn't like I was able to get two scopes. I just wondered what the good bad and ugly were on them. As far as my purchase Im a firefighter paying a ton of money to an exwife, so 600+ for a scope isnt an option. I would make the deal again today. I do wish they were made here, however so little of what is made today is american, I have to buy what I can afford. With the post I also wanted factual argument and no opions, to which I think it got a good amount of. So thanks to all who posted, whether it was for or totally against the Osprey!

NOYDB

BANNED
i just hate that American business men have to have factories in other countries in order to stay in business. when all is said and done, everyone needs to buy what they want and what they like. Me, i'll always buy American first

While voting with your wallet works. It would be more effective if you never vote for a Liberal (not saying that you do), of either party. Our Government has forced companies to move jobs offshore. The Chineese would have risen anyways and our companies should be along for the ride. But that could have happened with out the massive transfer of jobs our tax and regulatory system caused.

I have no fears of China or India or Russia, they can't do half the harm of our internal traitors.

While voting with your wallet works. It would be more effective if you never vote for a Liberal (not saying that you do), of either party. Our Government has forced companies to move jobs offshore. The Chineese would have risen anyways and our companies should be along for the ride. But that could have happened with out the massive transfer of jobs our tax and regulatory system caused.

I have no fears of China or India or Russia, they can't do half the harm of our internal traitors.

internal traitors, lol. please don't get me started:mad:

The purpose was just to hear what the general consensus was on the scopes. i am happy with my deal as I did not have 600 to spend on one scope. I had a gun to trade that had been sitting in my closet for close to 20 years. It was purchsed for 150 back in 1990 by my dad. I took it shooting once and really disliked it. At the gun show I asked one company that had high end american optics if they wanted to trade, to which they replied thier license really didnt allow that. The guys with the ospreys said yes, that they would let me pick any two they had and give me a t shirt. One scope is for my AR. It is made to mount on my carry handle, the other for a seven mag, to replace a crappy 3x9x40 bushnell. I use my rifles for fun, and for hunting. I am more than pleased that for one gun I didnt use and didn't like I was able to get two scopes. I just wondered what the good bad and ugly were on them. As far as my purchase Im a firefighter paying a ton of money to an exwife, so 600+ for a scope isnt an option. I would make the deal again today. I do wish they were made here, however so little of what is made today is american, I have to buy what I can afford. With the post I also wanted factual argument and no opions, to which I think it got a good amount of. So thanks to all who posted, whether it was for or totally against the Osprey!

buddy, in way way do i blame the decision you made. scopes cost alot of money and it;s hard to see through the fog sometimes. hope the scope works great for you, if you ever are looking for good used guns, scopes, etc... check out the equipement exchange on AR15.com. lots of guys buy gear, sometimes VERY nice gear, use it then buy something else and just sell it off. i've seen Zeiss go for 400 bucks, they don't last long at all, but sometimes it's another avenue to find the gear you want

Latest posts