1st 2 days Buck Only

ddd-shooter

If I take an old doe for ratio purposes or quality deer management I would rather do it before they are pregnant with next year’s buck instead of after.
You realize that whether or not she's pregnant when you kill her, it doesn't change the fact that you're killing next year's fawn? If you kill her before she's impregnated, there's no fawn next year. If you kill her afterwards, there's still no fawn next year.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
What is the rationale behind keeping 10 doe tags every year (besides to reduce the overall herd population due to timber clearing, development, and appeasing the car insurance companies)? If we can reduce the number of doe tags to 2 or 3 per year they would have a better chance of survival. If I take an old doe for ratio purposes or quality deer management I would rather do it before they are pregnant with next year’s buck instead of after.

The number of tags was set in state law until recently and we still need another law change to be able to make adjustments to the bag limit in regulation. Additionally, there are very few people that kill more than 3 does but there are tens of thousands that kill 1 or 2. Buck-only days can help reduce harvest where it's needed most, on over-crowded clubs.

Taking out a doe before or after the rut has the same net impact on next year's reproduction since virtually all adult females will get bred. You are either removing a doe that is pregnant or one that will be pregnant with next year's buck.

jakebuddy

Primitive weapons season (either sex)
Youth season ( either sex)
Firearms season better check the map.
Correct?

jakebuddy

Just as an after thought how could you get opening weekend changed to either sex? Reason being the crops had the worst damage in years. I would think the farmers would appreciate the help.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Just as an after thought how could you get opening weekend changed to either sex? Reason being the crops had the worst damage in years. I would think the farmers would appreciate the help.

It's not new, been that way for 3 years now. SW GA, where most of our agriculture is, opens firearms either sex. SE GA has a considerably lower deer density and agricultural damage there is driven more by poor habitat rather than too many deer.

Preston00

You realize that whether or not she's pregnant when you kill her, it doesn't change the fact that you're killing next year's fawn? If you kill her before she's impregnated, there's no fawn next year. If you kill her afterwards, there's still no fawn next year.
Yeah - but if she gets bred and not killed the new fawns will not be as healthy as those that come from the younger does.