2016 Oglethorpe County Reports

revans4661

Headed in tomorrow. Got this week off. Conditions won't be ideal, but l have to go when I can. Going to check cameras in the a.m. and decide what to do from there. I need one foe the freezer, but am a little torn on what to shoot. Some say shoot does foe meat , some say shoot young bucks because a doe kill this time of year could be taking 3 out of the future population. But, I want to see bucks grow as well. Opinions are usually split on this issue, and I'm not sure how I feel either. Feel free to chime in if you have a strong opinion.

RinggoldGa

If anyone has club openings, looking for one in the Ogelthorpe/Athens area next year.

Myself and one other father who have campers we keep at Bulldog RV Park in Athens and are looking for a club to hunt when we are in town for ball games in the fall. Mainly will be to take our elementary aged children hunting. We aren't brown it's down types and both like/appreciate QDM type set ups.

Any leads will be greatly appreciated.

And yes, mods, I know there's a lease page but this is a nice thread to find people in the exact county we're looking for!:bounce:

Todd E

revans, buddies were pulling fetuses Monday. Some almost three inches long. With coyotes the way they are, no guarantees on fawns anyway. I say shoot whatever makes you happy.

Buford_Dawg

Final deer hunt of the year...

Spent Monday thru Thursday this week down at our clubs. It was slow as expected, but did see several does on my hunts here and there. Trailcams showing deer are using our foodplots heavy right now, but no shooter bucks on camera over last 2 weeks. Small bucks and multiple does hitting the plots at various times of the day, much of the activity was between 1 and 3 pm in afternoon. Winterized my camper and shut down camp. My 2 boys got a FoxPro predator call and AR's 223 for Xmas so they spent their time playing around with those. They called in 2 coyotes on their first attempts, but no coyotes hit the ground, one was shot at and missed and the other ran off before a shot could be done. I have a feeling they will be spending time down there over the next few months trying to cull our coyotes some. Good luck to all you OC hunters, time to get ready for some small game and turkey hunting.

revans4661

Been at it pretty regular since Christmas. Action has been light. In the stand now, looking for one more. I pulled a camera card and saw 4 different bucks, all at night. 2 were fighting, right at the scrapes I found earlier in the year. That was on 12/30. Not much of anything during the day. Time is getting short. Hopefully a little stand time this weekend and wrap it up.

Triple C

Done for the year. 3 doe(s) and 1 buck taken off of our property. We prolly should have taken more doe but just didn't get it done. Got a nice graduating class for 2017. Sat in our largest plot on 12/31 and 1/1 during the day and had deer feeding. Just didn't have the desire to pull the trigger on any of em. Here's couple of pics from the sit on New Year's Eve and New Year's day. Hope they all make it with fawns hitting the ground in May.
IMG_2802.jpg

IMG_2818.jpg

Plots came in real nice after we finally started getting rain. Snapped this pic New Year's day.
IMG_2824.jpg

Buford_Dawg

Nice Pics Triple C

Good to see you left a bunch of seed for next year. As far as I know, our 2 clubs took more deer this year than I have ever known us to take. I am not sure if that is good or bad for next year. We seemed to have more deer on both properties this year and we took more does on both clubs than we usually do, but we also had several new members in both clubs and they harvested some does. Personally, I ended up with a 117 class 9 point and my youngest son took a ~105 class 8 point. As usual we took no does this year again. I saw right at 100 deer sightings this year from my stands which is a increase over the last 5 years. Up until Thanksgiving it was easy to see deer at every sit. Got tough after thanksgiving. Logging is about to take place on our Clouds Creek club so it will be interesting to see how it looks in a couple of months and if my club decides to lease it back. If anyone has any leads on other club opportunities, please let me know as I may be interested depending on how our CC club looks once logging is over.

Triple C

Good to see you left a bunch of seed for next year. As far as I know, our 2 clubs took more deer this year than I have ever known us to take. I am not sure if that is good or bad for next year. We seemed to have more deer on both properties this year and we took more does on both clubs than we usually do, but we also had several new members in both clubs and they harvested some does. Personally, I ended up with a 117 class 9 point and my youngest son took a ~105 class 8 point. As usual we took no does this year again. I saw right at 100 deer sightings this year from my stands which is a increase over the last 5 years. Up until Thanksgiving it was easy to see deer at every sit. Got tough after thanksgiving. Logging is about to take place on our Clouds Creek club so it will be interesting to see how it looks in a couple of months and if my club decides to lease it back. If anyone has any leads on other club opportunities, please let me know as I may be interested depending on how our CC club looks once logging is over.

BD...Just doin' our part to keep the herd growing in our neck of the woods! :yeah: Truth is we prolly should have harvested 2 or 3 more does but just didn't do it. We have more deer now than when we started this whole thing back in 2011. As for bucks...1st year since 2012 we didn't take a keeper. Chased a couple but never sealed the deal. Got a good crop of 1.5 and 2.5 yr olds that made it thru so hopefully we'll have a few to chase next year as well. Only buck taken was a yearling buck by a guest and he had the green light to take a yearling buck or doe. Son will be down the rest of this week still chasing one of the keepers so you never know...may have something to report before it ends on Sunday.

Looking forward to seeing the Oglethorpe thread fire up for 2017 in the near future. Always enjoy reading posts from you guys and feel like we have a good bunch of guys contributing to the OC thread. Best wishes to all in 2017!

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

It takes a good while to get a good herd in place.
I finished out my season New Year's Eve. Chased one buck all year saw him one time didn't have a very good clear shot so I didn't take it. New Year's Eve by 8:15am I had 4 does down so I called it a year!
Over all it was pretty decent as far as deer sightings. The non existence of food plots I'm sure hurt my sightings this year although I saw deer at every sitting just not the numbers I usually see

hicktownboy

Thanks everyone for the 2016-2017 deer season updates. I did not take a deer in Oglethorpe but saw several good young bucks and numerous does. We are upping our supplemental feeding program this year and I am in charge of that. Will be filling protein feeders shortly. If any of you guys are interested in starting a supplemental feeding program on your property then you can PM me and I can get you in touch with someone that can give you some information.