2018 Oglethorpe County Hunt Reports

fredw

Retired Moderator
We are also. Have Georgia Forestry scheduled to disc on Friday and a club workday on Saturday to get the planting done.
Our planting didn't happen. Had Georgia Forestry out on Friday to plow. On the first plot (a new one), the disc broke. We're rescheduled for Friday with Georgia Forestry and with club members to plant on Saturday.

Arrow3

WTG Brandon, so did or did we not get alot of rain in Sandy Cross / Glades / Palmetto areas. I was at the beach on 30A and was watching on my cell phone what I thought was some heavy rain across OC on Thursday and Friday. Am I mistaken?
I got a good rain Saturday afternoon at my house on Loyd Smith. Thursday it rained just a few minutes.

Triple C

Way to get it done Brandon! Seems we've become fair-weather hunters at our place this year. Not a single sit so far.
Worked most of the day planting plots on Saturday.

This morning I went on my 2nd hunt of the year and killed a nice doe.View attachment 944662View attachment 944663
Congrats Brandon on one fine looking doe! I've yet to sit for a hunt. Set more ladder stands this past weekend but just too dern hot for me to want to sit. Think I"m becoming a fair-weather hunter. Won't be long though and we'll all be in the woods. Can't wait for that first really nice cool snap to hit our neck of the woods.

transfixer

Way to get it done Brandon! Seems we've become fair-weather hunters at our place this year. Not a single sit so far.

I guess I fall in that category this year as well, I had big plans for bow season, but the hot humid weather changed my mind, its not looking like I'll put the crossbow into play this year, maybe the last week before primitive weapons ? this coming weekend is supposed to be back in the upper 80's I believe.

edit : according to weatherman we can expect the hot temps to last at least until mid Oct,,, facepalm:

Last edited:

Arrow3

Went yesterday afternoon and got in the stand about 10 till 6.... wound up seeing 11 does, 1 small buck, and 6 hens on a starving clover food plot.

Triple C

Went yesterday afternoon and got in the stand about 10 till 6.... wound up seeing 11 does, 1 small buck, and 6 hens on a starving clover food plot.
Our clover plots look like they are on life support right now. Newly germinated grain and brassica plots will go on immediate life support if we don't get rain soon. Weather is crazy hot with no end in sight! Against my better judgement, went ahead and planted last week with all the "guaranteed" rain in the forecast. Wish I had waited till middle of month.

fredw

Retired Moderator
We had Georgia Forestry back for round two yesterday. This time the plots were plowed without breaking the disc plow. Five club members planted our plots this morning, spreading wheat/fertilizer with a UTV and dragging the plots with an ATV. Sure hope the rain forecast for the coming week holds.

Buford_Dawg

Made it down to camp and some final scouting Friday and Saturday. We planted our food plots at SC club Sunday 2 weeks ago. 6 plots are doing really well but the 2 which get the most sun are struggling. The plots we did a month back in Palmetto are struggled and may be gone already. I believe rain is coming on Wednesday down that way. Got tons of pig pictures on my trailcams across my clubs, deer not so much, but should get some pork this fall for sure :)

Arrow3

Hunted a fresh, struggling food plot Saturday morning . Also had put out a little corn but the hogs had about gobbled it all up. About 8 o'clock this big, mature doe came in feeding. I shot her at 25 yards. I wound taking her to Apple valley processing for jerky and slim jims. 4 hunts and 2 deer taken. I ran 2 big hogs out as I got to my stand. FB_IMG_1538961384846.jpg

Triple C

Hunted a fresh, struggling food plot Saturday morning . Also had put out a little corn but the hogs had about gobbled it all up. About 8 o'clock this big, mature doe came in feeding. I shot her at 25 yards. I wound taking her to Apple valley processing for jerky and slim jims. 4 hunts and 2 deer taken. I ran 2 big hogs out as I got to my stand. View attachment 945329
Congrats on getting it done in this hot weather Brandon! And...love the climber. Bought one of those API Grand Slams in the early 90s and loved hunting in that thing. Interesting enough, my son got married this past weekend and while I was wandering around his place I looked in one of his sheds and there that stand hung on a nail. I just grinned when I saw it and looks like it's still ready to go up a tree. At 62, I'm all about ladder stands these days but if I was gonna climb, it'd be in that climber.

Todd E

My son n law has been having quite the archery season, since getting himself a crossbow. He tagged a sow hog. Then got an 8pt yesterday evening. Both in the OC.

Arrow3

Congrats on getting it done in this hot weather Brandon! And...love the climber. Bought one of those API Grand Slams in the early 90s and loved hunting in that thing. Interesting enough, my son got married this past weekend and while I was wandering around his place I looked in one of his sheds and there that stand hung on a nail. I just grinned when I saw it and looks like it's still ready to go up a tree. At 62, I'm all about ladder stands these days but if I was gonna climb, it'd be in that climber.
Thank you sir..I can take it off your hands if you'd like ?

Buford_Dawg

Love my API climber, great stand, had mine for 20+ years. As I have aged, I prefer my ladderstands or box stands or OTG in a nice camo chair hidden back in the bushes, but there are times I break my API out and climb a tree, especially if I find some hot buck sign and there are not permanent stands in the area. Mine will be headed to OC this Friday for the year, it stays at camp thru the season. And Congrats Brandon on the does and Todd to your son in law with his harvests.

Attachments

• IMG_1485.JPG
    IMG_1485.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 4

Buford_Dawg

OC guys (Brandon and Todd), how was the wind last night down that way. We had checked all our ladder and box stands recently, but somewhat concerned if high winds we need to recheck them. It wasn't bad here in Buford. Hope everyone has a terrific ML weekend and lots of game encountered and safe hunting.

Triple C

Interested here as well. Farmlogs shows we only got 2" of rain over past 2 days. Was hoping for more. Hopefully we'll get another 1/2 to 1" this morning before it blows out. Hoping for no wind damage.

Arrow3

The wind wasnt bad at all. I didnt have any limbs down this morning. I would say 15mph winds. We got 2 to 3 inches of rain

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I don’t have any land in OC but FarmLogs shows my Taliaferro land got 2.3 and my Putnam land got 2.5 from TS Michael

And Brandon good to see you finally got a man sized ATV ?

Arrow3

?? what do you mean??
I don’t have any land in OC but FarmLogs shows my Taliaferro land got 2.3 and my Putnam land got 2.5 from TS Michael

And Brandon good to see you finally got a man sized ATV ?