2023 Goals

jbogg

It’s been pretty quiet up in here. I’m not big on setting New Year’s resolutions, but I did set a few goals for myself this year.

First, I’m hoping to complete what I am calling the 12 night challenge. My goal is to spend one night each month sleeping under the stars with my backpacking gear. Hoping this will help me get my gear dialed in for all seasons and weather conditions. I recently purchased a new backpacking tent and air mattress. I’ve been a hammock camper for the past 10 years, but since I am a side sleeper I hope that going to the ground will help me get a better nights sleep.

Second, I plan on hunting bears with traditional archery equipment this fall. I purchased my first recurve in October of this year, and have fallen in love with archery all over again. I try to shoot 20 to 25 arrows every other day in my backyard, and joined the North Georgia traditional archery club, so I could participate in their shoots every month.

Anybody else set any goals for this year ?

Last edited:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
It’s been pretty quiet up in here. I’m not big on setting New Year’s resolutions, but I did set a few goals for myself this year.

First, I’m hoping to complete what I am calling the 12 night challenge. My goal is to spend one night each month sleeping under the stars with my back packing gear. Hoping this will help me get my gear dialed in for all seasons and weather conditions. I recently purchased a new backpacking tent and air mattress. I’ve been a hammock camper for the past 10 years, but since I am a side sleeper I hope that going to the ground will help me get a better nights sleep.

Second, I plan on hunting bears with traditional archery equipment this fall. I purchased my first recurve in October of this year, and have fallen in love with archery all over again. I try to shoot 20 to 25 arrows every other day in my backyard, and joined the North Georgia traditional archery club, so I could participate in their shoots every month.

Anybody else set any goals for this year ?
I think u will do great. Congrats on the bow shooting.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Well my gear is all dialed in I just need a dang bear! Like @jbogg I got back into trad bow again recently after a very long break from it. We'll see where that goes. My main goals are mostly physical and to improve my lower back every single day with stretching and inversion. Would like to learn more small taxidermy skills like tanning hides and get better at certain skinning techniques. I'm ready to go after some mountain turkeys also. I would love to stick a gobbler with the longbow.

jbogg

Well my gear is all dialed in I just need a dang bear! Like @jbogg I got back into trad bow again recently after a very long break from it. We'll see where that goes. My main goals are mostly physical and to improve my lower back every single day with stretching and inversion. Would like to learn more small taxidermy skills like tanning hides and get better at certain skinning techniques. I'm ready to go after some mountain turkeys also. I would love to stick a gobbler with the longbow.

Low back health can’t be overstated. I have dealt with back issues since football days, and being diligent about strengthening and stretching has helped tremendously. I still have flare ups, but it’s much more manageable since I started being proactive.

splatek

UAEC
You got this @jbogg
I think next bear season you’re going to tag out with the stick.

I love the 12 night challenge. Please report back on those adventures!

My goals:

1) really try to explore more areas. Find the time to do it

2) get on another animal with my 2 year old boy again. But maybe not miss this time.

3) get more proficient with my weapons. Recently took up the compound bow to add to the trad bow collection. Just playing around with it. And practice more with the rifle. I missed too many animals this season with my rifle including the all white buck! Better than injuring then I guess. If I hunted an area with higher animal densities I’d stick with the bow all season but not in the mountains.

Swampdogg

Goals for this year are:
learn more ground
Try to fill a bear tag either by archery or lever action .
Find a late season bear .
Get a clear photograph or video of a biggun
Make sure vehicle has no issues to complete the above goals .

@jbogg not sure if your sleeping pad has it or not but i thinned down some seam sealer and painted lines on the pad to keep from sliding around with the bag .

jbogg

Goals for this year are:
learn more ground
Try to fill a bear tag either by archery or lever action .
Find a late season bear .
Get a clear photograph or video of a biggun
Make sure vehicle has no issues to complete the above goals .

@jbogg not sure if your sleeping pad has it or not but i thinned down some seam sealer and painted lines on the pad to keep from sliding around with the bag .

That’s a good tip regarding the pad. The 12 night challenge has officially begun. Ran up to the mountains yesterday afternoon with my oldest friend that I’ve known since eighth grade. Crawled out of the tent this morning in the 16°, and that was without the windchill. The old dudes still have some gas left in the tank. The North Georgia mountains are my favorite place in this world.
3F7E53BB-07BE-4E51-8653-22B3C2358043.jpeg9D5142D8-740A-4C28-A947-376E15314792.jpegBA4F7082-E9BD-488C-9BD1-8A14630C7DE1.jpegBDE8627D-E8D4-45D1-9E7E-7C33971D1CA9.jpeg

Latest posts