2023 Oglethorpe County

Triple C

Well me and pops had a great weekend spending time in the woods. Saturday morning I had a nice 8 pointer come through about 7:45-8:00 am trailing a doe trail. Took the shot on him and put him down. About 30 minutes later my pops took a good doe. So we doubled up yesterday morning.
Well this morning when me and my pops stopped at got us a Golden Pantry biscuit dad asked what I wanted today. Jokingly I told him I wanted him to shoot that big 10 on our cameras.
We both got a sausage n baked egg biscuit and headed on out to the hunting club.
Once we arrived I headed to my ladder stand and pops drove my truck to his blind down in the bottoms.
It was a beautiful mornin to be in the woods. Sat there watching the sunrise taking it all in. Pops checked in with me on the walkie talkie to let me know he was good.
Settled in for the morning as the woods came alive. Around 7:45 I heard a rifle shot down to my left about 1/4 mile in pops direction.
Bout 15 mins later pops came across the walkie talkie. Mumbling fast and excited. I couldn’t understand a word until I heard the words. BIG 10.
Needless to say, I was tickled to death.
Got down and jumped on the four wheeler to go help him.
I’ll never forget that chilly ride about a 1/4 mile to get down to Dad. I was tickled to death for him.

We’ve made a lot of memories hunting over the years, but folks this shared morning is top of the list.
Ol killer got the Big 10 View attachment 1270617View attachment 1270618
As good as it gets right there! Precious memories and certainly frameworthy.

Buford_Dawg

Some great bucks guys, Congrats to all that killed in the last few days. And great seeing you Brandon as always. I Spent Saturday AM thru this AM in the OC woods... Had a great time as always. Deer sightings slowed down the last 5 days I hunted and trailcam pictures did as well. Bucks continued to move well and are continuing to follow does and chasing. I finally took a buck this AM after it ran a doe out of a food plot, one of those 3 second make a decision time. Not the buck I thought he was, never had this one on camera as far as I know. After seeing him, realized I have let at least 4 others larger than him walk over the course of the season. Actually had let a better buck walk not 20 minutes before I shot this one. He was busted up big time, both brows were broke down low and a G3 was broken 1\2 off. Not disappointed at all, but if I had a few more seconds to look him over I would have passed. He will eat well, Gregs doing me some Sausage which my family loves. At home for Thanksgiving, but will take the family back down tomorrow evening and hunt thru the weekend. We got some hogs that need thinning and several nice bucks that showed up this week I would like to see in person.IMG_5625.jpgIMG_5628.jpg

MYRX

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

I only hunted Monday this past week but it was a fun hunt. I had one eight pointer come by at 7:35. Then around 9 AM two eights were running a doe all around in front of me. A poor little four pointer followed and just being frustrated started rubbing a small sapling. Best of all I pulled a card from a camera on the way out. Well, finally a really mature buck, I believe to be an eleven pointer! So, I shall be back in the woods Friday AM.

Congratulations to all who have harvested bucks this season.

Buford_Dawg

Back at home after a short trip back to OC after Thanksgiving. Our camp crew was light this time down, only 5 of us hunting on Friday and Saturday but out of 5, there were 2 really strong bucks taken, one buck showed up about 2 weeks ago on our cameras and the other showed up on Friday AM after Thanksgiving. He was harvested yesterday AM about 500 yards from camera capture. I love November 10th thru Thanksgiving weekend hunting in OC, the bigger bucks just magically start showing up on cameras and sightings from tree stands begin. Gonna take a couple weeks off and get some rest and let woods settle back down, deer been hunted hard for the last month and most of our members will put their guns up after this last weekend. It will only be me and several retired members spending much more time down, that is how it works every year. Good luck rest of you OC'ers, time to kill a big ole OC buck is dwindling down now, but you just never know, we have taken some fine December bucks over time, especially around Xmas.

chase870

Possum Sox
Some great bucks guys, Congrats to all that killed in the last few days. And great seeing you Brandon as always. I Spent Saturday AM thru this AM in the OC woods... Had a great time as always. Deer sightings slowed down the last 5 days I hunted and trailcam pictures did as well. Bucks continued to move well and are continuing to follow does and chasing. I finally took a buck this AM after it ran a doe out of a food plot, one of those 3 second make a decision time. Not the buck I thought he was, never had this one on camera as far as I know. After seeing him, realized I have let at least 4 others larger than him walk over the course of the season. Actually had let a better buck walk not 20 minutes before I shot this one. He was busted up big time, both brows were broke down low and a G3 was broken 1\2 off. Not disappointed at all, but if I had a few more seconds to look him over I would have passed. He will eat well, Gregs doing me some Sausage which my family loves. At home for Thanksgiving, but will take the family back down tomorrow evening and hunt thru the weekend. We got some hogs that need thinning and several nice bucks that showed up this week I would like to see in person.View attachment 1271276View attachment 1271277
Nothing wrong with that buck besides them horns are hard to eat.

Triple C

2023 Update from the Triple C

3 deer killed

Youngest grandson (8), killed his first deer, button head, with a youth model Savage in .243.

Oldest grandson (19), killed his first buck with a bow.

Oldest son killed a nice 3 yr old 8 pt.

Yours truly missed a very nice 8 pt Saturday afternoon at 20 yds with my recurve. Nicked his front shoulder and thru front portion of his brisket. Best buck I've ever released an arrow at with a trad bow. Can't imagine the adrenalin rush you get when you see one at 80 yds and having to wait until inside 20 yds with broadside or quartering away shot.

Most shot opportunities never develop. Either busted while trying to draw...just our of range...or not proper shot placement. This one was right at my limit at 20 yds and proved to be just beyond my effective range.

Upside is we saw him next morning with a slight limp and chasing a doe. Hopefully will get him killed.

Other observations...
Any of you regulars know that we've worked hard since 2011 improving our grounds and habitat. Very selective in harvests. Too selective in removing doe(s).

With that said, our place has never looked better. Last timber harvest was in 2022 when I clearcut 73 acres of mature pines and 2nd thinned 105 acres of now 23 yr old planted pine.

Forgot how exciting it was to hunt a clear cut. You see deer like rabbits roaming thru the clear cut. Not ideal for trad bow hunting but fun for younger grand kids to see deer.

2nd thinned pines look amazing. Almost like a south GA quail plantation. Burned this past Spring and aerial spraying to kill privet and competing hardwoods.

Bucks love cruising the edges of the planted pines along hardwood draws and food plots. The buck I missed Saturday came into the plot from a hardwood draw into the planted pines bordering a 6 acre food plot. I was just inside the tree line at the south end of the plot with a young doe about 35 yds in front of me when I caught movement in the edge of the pines and knew he would be coming in to check the doe. He did just that with more deer in the upper end of plot and deer below me in an adjacent hardwood draw.

All in all, another great year of memories in the making. Only thing missing is the ability to keep deer 4 yr old and older. As much as I love hunting OC...it's tough to get em past 3 yrs old. Just too much hunting pressure on any piece of land pretty much all across the county. 2 yr olds get hammered and just about any 3 yr old is gonna get shot if the opportunity presents itself for many hunters. Me included. I figure anything I choose to shoot with a trad bow is a trophy.

This is turning in to a long post. My apologies.

Wife and I built our retirement home in 2021 in south Oconee County on an old farmstead. 56 acres total. Son hunts more there than OC for one reason...very little hunting pressure and much higher chance for a 4+ yr old encounter. He loves chasing mature bucks. I often wonder why I don't hunt more at home.

Truth is, I am emotionally attached and invested in our place in Oglethorpe County. I love the people I've got to know there. I love how we've been able to keep this thread so active over the years with so many contributing. I love driving thru Lexington on the way to the farm. I love the feeling I still get when pulling thru the gate. I love the fact that they do a great job in keeping the roads safe by strictly enforcing the speed limit throughout the county. I love the pole barn cabin we built in 2011, very rustic but with all the amenities of home. I freaking love OC and my little slice of heaven there.

So...with all this said, if you get to enjoy hunting or living in OC, count your blessings. Many people across the state would love to have what we have in OC.

I plan on being a lifer and then, passing along to kids and grandkids to carry on our traditions we've been building since 2011.

More to come as the season progresses and plan on dumping a post season photo dump when we end it up. Keep swinging for the fences boys!

Todd E

Great seeing everyone enjoying the outdoors. Wonderful updates.

It has been a long time since I took a young child to a stand. Blessed to be in the woods with my daddy, my son, and my grandson.
All three of us piled into a quad pod. He did fairly well for his first trip to a deer stand.
Then, the eyes got heavy.
I forgot what it is like to hold a sleeping child in a deer stand. My age showed up. FB_IMG_1701122576277.jpg

No bucks were harmed in the making of this memory. Time to teach him gun safety and how to shoot.

Triple C

Great seeing everyone enjoying the outdoors. Wonderful updates.

It has been a long time since I took a young child to a stand. Blessed to be in the woods with my daddy, my son, and my grandson.
All three of us piled into a quad pod. He did fairly well for his first trip to a deer stand.
Then, the eyes got heavy.
I forgot what it is like to hold a sleeping child in a deer stand. My age showed up. View attachment 1272367

No bucks were harmed in the making of this memory. Time to teach him gun safety and how to shoot.
Awesomeness. BTW...Your dad looks as young as you! :bounce:

MYRX

All good post to read. I enjoy reading about what's going on with OC Hunters. Well yesterday morning at 7:42 I broke my pledge and took a nice 8 pointer following a doe. I am thinking he is 3.5 years old. He had a 17.5" spread. Beautiful deer. My goal all year had been to harvest a 4.5 or older trophy that would score 125 - 140, and I sure spent a lot of days in the woods. Anyway, at 69.5 years old I shouldn't complain or beat myself up. He is going to Andy's where I can enjoy him for a long time Lord willing.

Taking some time off. Then, I will again focus on the mysterious 11 pointer that showed up on camera two weeks ago and has proven to be quite a challenge. I still have hope, as three of my best bucks were taken the last two weeks of December in past years. Two chasing yearling does.

So, that being said, lets hope the Dawgs get it done Saturday! If any of you spot a silver Dodge Ram with deer carrier attached to the hitch driving around Oglethorpe County, its probably me. Stop and say hi.

Grunt-n-bleat

Well guys i havent been huntin since a week ago. My oldest son, who spent 10 months overseas came home last friday for a visit.
Spent my days off with him doing things he wanted to do.

I am so anxious to get back down to the OC and our slice of paradise. @MYRX i have a mysterious 11 pointer also show up out of the blue a couple weeks ago. 3 night time captures on the Reveal, and one early morning daylight glimpse as he was cruising the edge of the hardwoods and the select cut pines.
I am hoping to get down this weekend some. But does look like the rainy weather may put a wrinkle in my plans.

Good luck to all of you the rest of the season. Go Dawgs!

Latest posts