260 Remington

returntoarchery

Not really returntoarchery, you can creep up on 7 mag ballistics with the .280 with some careful reloading....

Not with the published loads from the reloading manuals I have and I've to a bunch of them. Now if you have the pressure measuring equipment to test your chamber pressures and with some of the newer propellents you may have a case.

But granted the 280 does have the advantage over the 270 with 160 and 175 grain bullets.

Definitely no cheap factory loads for the 260. Cheapest 260 factory rounds at Midwayusa and other online sources is about $35.

Cheapest 280 Rem looks to be in the $29 range.

$18 for the 270 Win. ::ke: ;) :D

Flaustin1

You can "creep" up on em. Not match or surpass them but you can get close. Just watch your pressure signs. Ive seen it done.

cmshoot

Yep, if that's your goal then run the .280AI instead. If you already have a .280 Remington all it takes is a good gunsmith and a chamber reamer.

georgiaboy

I shoot a 280AI and love it.

If I get another built it will likely be a 260 in something light. 6.5s penetrate very well and are pleasant to shoot.

I somewhat regret not having my 280 chambered in 6.5/284 but I have a heavy one and was at a time when I thought I needed more calibers to play with. Now with kids and increased workload I'd do it different.

There's not much you can do with a 260 because of the varied bullet selection.

*the little 90-95 grain bullets are a hoot in 6.5mm. Very little recoil and they explode well on water bottles and such in a very satisfying way. Kind of the opposite of the fun you get shooting steel with a 338 or 45-70.

returntoarchery

You can "creep" up on em. Not match or surpass them but you can get close. Just watch your pressure signs. Ive seen it done.

i rest my case. Not without exceeding the published reloading manuals maximum loads. If you follow the reloading manuals the 280 and 270 are virtual twins with the exception of the 160 and 175 bullets.

thurmongene

this has been a great article to read. I have a Savage model 110 left hand in .260 with a 3-9x40 illuminated scope. Its beautiful, easy to shoulder. Just the price of ammo is making me wonder about trading it for another 7mm-08.

CraigM

The shop I work at generally has three or four .260s on the shelf and at least a case each of three different loads. But then again the assistant manager shoots a .260