280 Remington or other for build

Hello everyone! I believe this is my first post since 2008. I figured I would ask some questions here to get some different points of views and opinions.

I admit, the only larger caliber rifle I have ever hunted with has been an old Marlin 30/30 my dad passed down. I do, however, own numerous higher end rimfire rifles that I shoot some rimfire benchrest with which is relatively inexpensive and loads of fun. Plus my daughter love it too.

For the last few years my brother, who is probably one of the better shooters I have ever met, has been shooting some centerfire benchrest competitions. He shoots a custom gun built on a Remington 700 action. I think it's 30x57 or 30x47, some kind of odd round that he has to reload. In our talking, he has asked me about doing some shooting with the group he competes with. It sounds like a lot of fun, but WOW, it's pretty expensive to get started.

Last week he found me an older Remington 700, 280 with 7mm Exp. marked on the barrel. It has the nice wood stock and a very cheap Tasco 2-10x44??. The guy let my brother keep the gun so I could shoot it and left 7 hand loaded rounds. Yesterday I shot 3, 100 yd shots with a grouping of 0.753. Which I thought was pretty good for the scope I was using and being unfamiliar with the gun. My brother said I could take this gun and build a 280AI and have an awesome bench gun to start with. Last night I checked the availability of just plain 280Rem rounds and there's not much out there and I don't have reloading equipment. I do intend to purchase some, but it will come later.

What I'm going to have to do is build in stages, but I still want shoot until it's built. So I'm torn, should I buy this 280Rem rifle or purchase something like a 308, 30-06 or 270 that I can go ahead and start shooting without reloading and that also has a broad selection of off the shelf ammo?

What is the older 280 Remington worth in pretty good to excellent condition?

Should I look at something in a 308, 30-06 or 270 for better off-the-shelf ammo selection?

And Last, I hate even asking this, What action should I look at? Remington or Savage?

Again, I'm just looking for input and opinions.

Thanks for any input and have a blessed day.
kwh

Last edited:

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
What distances are you planning on bench rest shooting. If it is 100 yards the calibers you mention are large for such a short distance. If you plan on shooting competitively out to 1,000 yards you might want to go heavier similar to the ones you mentioned. For long range the .308 is probably the best one that you mentioned.

Let us know the distances and "we" can give you better advice.

gt40

What distances are you planning on bench rest shooting. If it is 100 yards the calibers you mention are large for such a short distance. If you plan on shooting competitively out to 1,000 yards you might want to go heavier similar to the ones you mentioned. For long range the .308 is probably the best one that you mentioned.

Let us know the distances and "we" can give you better advice.

gt40

They are currently shooting 100 yd and 200 yd targets. The targets have six individual targets. One is a sight in target and the other five are scored. The 100yd target is smaller than the 200yd and they win based on score and X's. The high score per target is 50-5x. The place that he shoots is apparently beginning to clear land for farther distances.

chadeugene

You aren't going to want a 30-06 or a .270 for a rifle you're going to do a whole lot of shooting with. Those cartridges are barrel burners. Cartridges that are easy to come by and don't eat up barrels are hard to come by. The .308 is probably your best bet... although with all the madness going on lately, they aren't very easy to find.

chadeugene

They are currently shooting 100 yd and 200 yd targets. The targets have six individual targets. One is a sight in target and the other five are scored. The 100yd target is smaller than the 200yd and they win based on score and X's. The high score per target is 50-5x. The place that he shoots is apparently beginning to clear land for farther distances.

If that's the case, I'd just buy a .243 or .223

If that's the case, I'd just buy a .243 or .223

I was actually thinking about a .223 to begin with, but I know they are wanting to lengthen out their shots and I want something to grow with, so to speak.

A .308 may be the way to go, especially if it takes longer to burn out a barrel.

chuckdog

Modern barrels are tougher than ever.

Shooting target weight bullets @ target velocities there won't be any measurable difference in quality barrel life between any of these calibers.

I'm not fan of the long action calibers but the .280 Rem is one of the exceptions.

It's one of those under loaded, under rated cartridges that's a handloader's dream.

You have tons of .284 bullets in a nice efficient package.

Nothing wrong with an 06' though. It's the only thing I own in a long action now.

As for the action, between the two you're considering the 700 is my preference.

miles58

Banned yankee
OK lfirst, pay attention to what chuckdog has to say.

Second, your brother already loads. Presumably since he's promoting you doing this he'll help. 7mm bullets are just as available as any others. If push comes to shove you can take 25-06, .270 Winchester or 30-06 brass to make ammo for this rifle.

Third, shooting 100 and 200 yards means you will be just fine with light bullets and reduced charges which is easier on you.

Store bought ammo is harder to find. No question about it. If your brother will help you get started all you have to do is buy components and dies to get started. Plus you have a local mentor to teach you how to load safely and properly.

Lastly, you have a rifle that you know is pretty accurate now. If the trigger has not been worked on and someone has not worked hard at getting the best out of it you should be able to get even more out of it.

I say go for it! Jump with both feet and don't look back.

Dave

br6ppc

I was actually thinking about a .223 to begin with, but I know they are wanting to lengthen out their shots and I want something to grow with, so to speak.

A .308 may be the way to go, especially if it takes longer to burn out a barrel.

Talk to ScottD on this site about this.

If you are thinking about shooting Hunter class score or Varmint for score, stick with a .30 cal. The .308 is okay for starting out. The 30 cal is a bigger diameter bullet and it DOES help,if you get competitive with VFS. I shot some varmint for score years ago when the 30BR (the Remington BR case was a shortened 308) was just getting hot on the score scene. There are match grade 30 cal bullets available. IIRC, the preferred weight was 115-130 gr.

Nimrod71

But the 280. How much do they want for it. Heck, I mite want to buy it myself. Like above your brother already reloads, all you have to do is buy a set of dies, "Reddings" 3 die set with neck sizer. Get some brass, bullets, powered and primers and go at it. I have a 280 now and I love it. I am having a 280 AI being built at this time. But with the rifle shooting as good as it is I really wouldn't change it, just start with a trigger job. I wouldn't worry with the scope either at 100 & 200 yards on targets.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
If you are going to build a rifle for shooting at the targets you stated and want to be competitive there is one good choice and that is a .30PPC. The other calibers would be #1=6PPC then for 200 yds. and beyond 6mm Norma BR.

Here is one of my better 200 yd. targets shot with my 6mm Norma BR. hunting rifle. It usually shoots way under 1/2". My best 100 yd. 5 shot target measured .084".

And yes I hope Scott D gives some more and better advice than I.

gt40

PS: I use a 50 power scope. It makes it much easier to see where your bullets are going in relationship to your "dot". When the wind changes shoot at the sighting "dot" and then move your reticule IMMEDIATELY the distance and shoot at your score "dot".

Attachments

• 200 yd. target 1.JPG
    200 yd. target 1.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
If you are going to build a rifle for shooting at the targets you stated and want to be competitive there is one good choice and that is a .30PPC. The other calibers would be #1=6PPC then for 200 yds. and beyond 6mm Norma BR.

Here is one of my better 200 yd. targets shot with my 6mm Norma BR. hunting rifle. It usually shoots way under 1/2". My best 100 yd. 5 shot target measured .084".

gt40

WOW!!!! Awesome group!

chadeugene

Modern barrels are tougher than ever.

Shooting target weight bullets @ target velocities there won't be any measurable difference in quality barrel life between any of these calibers.

I'm not fan of the long action calibers but the .280 Rem is one of the exceptions.

It's one of those under loaded, under rated cartridges that's a handloader's dream.

You have tons of .284 bullets in a nice efficient package.

Nothing wrong with an 06' though. It's the only thing I own in a long action now.

As for the action, between the two you're considering the 700 is my preference.

Makes me wonder why my .308 barrels outlasted my .338 Win Mag barrel from the same manufacturer by about 2000 rounds. This was about 5 years ago when I was into long range shooting. Maybe it was a bad barrel.

Abel

Buy the Remington 700 280. If you buy a set of regular 280 Rem dies now, won't your brother be able to load your ammo? It sounds as though the old boy who currently own the rifle has already worked up a nice load. You may want to find out if she's had the action glass bedded yet. If not, you could reduce that group size pretty quick by doing so, I would think.

chuckdog

Makes me wonder why my .308 barrels outlasted my .338 Win Mag barrel from the same manufacturer by about 2000 rounds. This was about 5 years ago when I was into long range shooting. Maybe it was a bad barrel.

With many of the same bullets there's little more than 100 to maybe 200 fps difference in velocity between the 308 and 30-06.

I've just don't recall anyone referring to the .270 or 30-06 as any more of a barrel burner than any other 3K velocity range round.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
If you want a good factory rifle that can be competitive and very easy on the shoulder take a look at this one in 6mm Norma BR. You will get long barrel life with extreme accuracy with no neck turning and very little brass prep before reloading. It is also inexpensive to shoot. It also has very close ballistics to a .243 without burning up your barrel and can use 105 gr. Berger VLDs for shooting competitively out to 1,000 yds.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12BENCHREST

NOTE: The (6mm BR.) has a shorter neck then the (6mm Norma BR.) The longer neck is better for seating longer bullets & is much easier to get brass for.

gt40

PS: The MSFP is a lot higher then a gun store will charge to order one from a wholesaler.

Look here, the one for $1,258.00:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...st&osCsid=1a5jlgq06mf1fidi723hmu4fr6&x=13&y=9

Attachments

• savage .jpg
    savage .jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

harryrichdawg

OK lfirst, pay attention to what chuckdog has to say.

Second, your brother already loads. Presumably since he's promoting you doing this he'll help. 7mm bullets are just as available as any others. If push comes to shove you can take 25-06, .270 Winchester or 30-06 brass to make ammo for this rifle.

Third, shooting 100 and 200 yards means you will be just fine with light bullets and reduced charges which is easier on you.

Store bought ammo is harder to find. No question about it. If your brother will help you get started all you have to do is buy components and dies to get started. Plus you have a local mentor to teach you how to load safely and properly.

Lastly, you have a rifle that you know is pretty accurate now. If the trigger has not been worked on and someone has not worked hard at getting the best out of it you should be able to get even more out of it.

I say go for it! Jump with both feet and don't look back.

Dave

I agree with Dave. Buy a set of dies and use your brother's reloading setup until you can afford to build your own. If I ever buy another long action rifle, it will most likely be a .280/7mm Express. I've got it's little brother in the 7mm-08 and like the idea of having multiple calibers that use the same components (.308/.30-06/.300 Win Mag, 7-08/.280/7Mag, etc.)

NCummins

Remington, .308 possibilities are endless. And you can buy - I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH - good off the shelf ammo also.

golffreak

Love my .280 Best caliber I've ever hunted with.