30-06 .55grain accelerator bullets

KentuckyHeadhunter

I recently told a buddy of mine that my next rifle purchase would be a .223. He asked me why I don't just by the Remington Accelerator .55 grain in 30-06 (since I have an 06). I didn't know they made such a light load for this rifle but I found some. Anyone have any experience with these rounds and if so, what is the accuracy etc? I usually shoot 150 grain cor-lokts but wanted a lighter round for coyote and varmint hunting.

miles58

Banned yankee
I have never used them myself, but I have seen them used when they first came out. They ran about 4000 Fps and shot about an inch. Not bad. Normally velocities above 3500 FPS tend to be hard on throats. I know nothing about that with these.

Dave

KentuckyHeadhunter

thanks, I read somewhere that they were expensive, hard to find, and not very accurate. Another guy told me that the twist rate is all wrong for this light of a bullet at that speed.

fishtail

Keep in mind this is a sabot round, being pushed hard. Accuracy and expansion should be diminished and exaggerated.
I'd expect good to fair performance, bullet and accuracy wise out to 100 yards but have no experience with it.
The same projectile is very effective and accurate (minus the sabot) in a .223 on Deer at velocities of 3500fps and lower, which I do reload for it.
But this has no basis in the '06 situation.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I have some for a .30-30 and they are great. They group good, are super fast but they are very expensive and hard to find. Never shot the .30-06 version, but I will if I find them.

I had a box of them given to me years ago. I was afraid to shoot them because I didn't know anything about them. I pulled the bullets, dumped the powder, and reloaded the primed cases with 150's. Wish I still had them. Sounds like I could sell them for a good price.

polaris30144

I have used these to shoot chucks and coyotes in upstate NY on a family farm. They shot good and I never saw any damage to our rifles. They are explosive on critters out to a couple hundred yards. The twist rate on most rifles is not going to give optimal accuracy, but they served a purpose for the one gun hunter that didn't reload. I think I still have a box some where. I have since bought commercial rounds in caliber that have very light bullets and decent velocity. Accelerators never gained much popularity for a number of reasons. The first one was that true varmint hunters usually had rifles in varmint calibers and the need never developed for saboted, high velocity rounds with marginal accuracy for the average hunter that may go after varmints occasionally. The second reason was that the price was high for a "novelty" round.

Ronbow

Polaris gets it right, the twist rate of the standard 06 will give sub par accuracy to no accuracy with that light of a projectile, hence the hard to find them problem a 22 lr would be a way more practical choice.

Win1917

I used to shoot accelerators a fair amount out of an '06. Accuracy was ok, not great. The twist rate may not be optimal but I think there's a lot of other inherent issues with system that are bigger issues.

dtala

I shot a bunch of em out of a Rem 700 30-06...

sub par accuracy ran around an inch at 100 yards.....:biggrin2:

troy

ps, they would blow a crow into 1,276 small pieces.....:shoot:

Win1917

Wow! Is your '06 a standard 10 twist?

I was shooting them 20 years ago so I don't remember the exact group sizes but I would guess they shot around 4". By modern standards that's terrible but out of an old 1917 service rifle I thought it was ok accuracy at the time all things considered. Nothing like my 22-250 I also had then but they still dispatched a few coyotes around the house.

dtala

whatever twist was standard on a 700 in 1970....

the gun was glass bedded, trigger worked, and would shoot 150gr Nosler Partitions into 3/4 inch 3 shot groups....

troy