300 win mag questions

FD716

So for years I have wanted a 300 Winnie. Today I made it happen and picked up a Tikka T3 with Leupold glass. I am wondering what would be a good starting point for whitetail rounds? What is your preferred grain and why? My preferred brand of ammo has been the Federal Trophy Bonded line. With the cost of today’s ammo, I would like to narrow it down to a few different choices to see what this rifle liked the best without breaking the bank.

JeffinPTC

Here's a response to that question about 300 WBY from sierra Bullets. Don't imagine the winmag would be much different at Ga shooting distances:

Is the 2160 the best choice for GA Whitetails at 200 or less in a Vanguard 24" 300WBY?

You should be able to use our #2145 165gr SBT GameKing or even our #2140 165gr HPBT GameKing with great success on whitetails at close range.

Philip Mahin
Ballistic Technician
NRA Life Member
1400 W. Henry St. Sedalia, MO 65301
Questions? Call us toll free 800-223-8799

ThatredneckguyJamie

I shoot a 150 gr because of the superior ballistics, my reason for buying a 300 win mag was to get something with a higher maximum point blank range, 300 win mag with a 150 gr fit the bill better than anything that was still easy to find ammo reasonably cheap and easily

Buckman18

Congratulations!! You purchased a great gun!!!

Like the 30-06, 308, 270, 7-mag, and 30-30, you can find 300 win mag ammo practically anywhere and in a wide range of flavors. Good news, you need to do nothing more than go to the local Wally World and pick up several boxes of Winchester deer season XP 150 gr. Simple as that.

Larry Rooks

I use the Barnes 130 gr TSX for any deer hunting in mine. I use the 130 in my 308 also, why, because it performs like a heavier bullet of other manufacture The bullet is very accurate and stays together, and penetrates very well

Will45

For deer and a max PBR in 300WM, I'd stay with bullets in the 150-168 weight range (can go down to 130 gr if you go TTSX).

As you know shot placement is key, so whichever bullet groups to your liking, you may need to choose shoulder, boiler room...etc depending on the type of bullet you choose. I've seen bullets from 270, 270wsm, 7mag... and up pencil through deer at short ranges when going broad side.

Just my opinion. Others may agree or disagree. Good luck. And be sure to post up the results with pics.

SCDieselDawg

I shoot the 200gr eld-x in Hornady's precision hunter line in my .300 win mag. Crazy accurate and impressive wound channels.

hooksnhorns

I shoot the 200gr eld-x in Hornady's precision hunter line in my .300 win mag. Crazy accurate and impressive wound channels.

That's what I shoot in my 300 sendero. They are bad on these lil ol MS deer. Overkill? Yes, but I like having too much rather than not enough.

FD716

Thanks to everyone that replied. Still doing some homework on rounds but the replies have helped me to narrow it down a bit. Hopefully I find some she likes. Got a bean field that I can’t wait to try it out in!

jnorton

My 700 likes everything from 150 gr to 200 gr hand loads. I prefer the 165 for whitetails.

The Winchester 180 grain power points shot very well when I used store bought.

oppthepop

It's been my caliber of choice for decades and i really like the 180 grain Nosler Partition. I know that's a little heavy for whitetails but I've hunted elk, bear, mule deer, antelope, and whitetails with it with complete success. And most of all, my rifle really likes that load - Federal Premium, 180 grain Nosler Partition for me all the way.

jmoser

I have 2 .300s; honestly it is way overkill for deer but one of the best all around calibers ever.

I load primarily 180 - 220 gr bullets; I do have some 165 sierra Game Kings loaded up and that is what I would use for whitetail.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have a '70s model Browning that I can't get to stop shooting Winchester Silver Box 180gr Power Points in the same hole. Only shot 1 deer with it that didn't fall straight down...and he didn't make it 20 yards.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I like 180 grain bullets or bigger. I didn't buy a .300 mag to shoot little bitty bullets out of it. If I wanted to shoot little light bullets, I'd buy a .243 or something. Hammer of Thor for deer. I used Barnes TTSX for awhile, but I think the Speer HotKore or other regular softpoints are much better for deer-sized game, especially if you shoot for vitals. The bonded ones don't get much expansion at that speed unless you hit bone. I have had the Barnes pencil through a deer's lungs with the exit hole the same size as the entry, and a 150 yard sparse blood trail.

GunnSmokeer

Congrats on the .300 Win Mag.
I was torn between that round and the 7mm Rem Mag for a long-range hunting round, for years.
Then I found a good deal on the 7mm Rem Mag and got it.
I never had a shot at a deer with it, BUT from shooting reactive targets at distances out to 200 yards, I think it didn't really THUMP the target with the authority I had in mind.

I wish I'd done the .300 mag instead.