Status report on 300 win Mag for Elk hunt

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
He told me #1 is fitness

#2 is shooting

and #3 is client wanting to get back to camp. He said a lot of hunters want to get back to camp well before dark. Not willing to hunt late in day, he said, the rule is if we shoot one late we gotta stay with it until packed out cause of predators to include griz. Asked if my son and I would do that? We said yes absolutely. We want to leave it all out there.
Also said the plan is if we kill early, we can spend the rest of the time fishing so bring a flyrod. We both fly fish so - bonus, I forgot to ask what size rod? I assume 5?
yes I am so excited. Hope we get the draw this year? He booked last October. I found out in July my birthday.

menhadenman

At this point..I would need the Wambulance to follow ME?! My suggestion was more for the OP…but getting in better shape would be good for me too?
Most of us could stand to lose a few lbs after the last couple years ?. But making sure you’re in shape for a western hunt is a fine motivator!

Reactions: Dub

FlipKing

I have 2 Ridgelines. 6.5cm is a laser. .308 is a bit ammo picky but I'm shooting half moa with the right ammo. That rifle will 100% get the job done.

Dub

I've never been out West for Elk.

I've done the MidWest archery deer hunts, though. Amazing animals that were much larger than I expected.

I do have some relevant experience that I'll pass along.....for what it's worth. It may not seem like it's worth much at on the front end....but it can save your hunt if needed.

One vacation I took found me having a ball....until the third day. Ole tricky back locked up bigly. Left me whimpering like a grumbling mutt. An emergency supply of a highly effective steroid, Dexamethasone, had be back in action in just 24hrs. Absolutely amazing.

I'm way overdue for knee replacements and a right shoulder replacement. I'm only 53 and don't have the time to fool with 'em. I keep after it grinding away on the job and having fun on days off.

I was forced to take a month off after having a disc replacement a few years back. Every blue moon I'll have back pains that will end in spasms....like on the vacation mentioned above. My ortho surgeon keeps me supplied with an emergency dose that I'll replace once a year and through the unused dose in the trash.

You simply never know.

Benefits of that particular steroid in me is the reversal of back spasms, diminished pain in those other joints, super breathing and etc. Your milage may vary.....but it's worth it to have that conversation with your doctor.

I'd hate for a hunt of lifetime to find you sidelined due to pain.

My two cents....

Last edited:

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
He told me #1 is fitness

#2 is shooting

and #3 is client wanting to get back to camp. He said a lot of hunters want to get back to camp well before dark. Not willing to hunt late in day, he said, the rule is if we shoot one late we gotta stay with it until packed out cause of predators to include griz. Asked if my son and I would do that? We said yes absolutely. We want to leave it all out there.
Also said the plan is if we kill early, we can spend the rest of the time fishing so bring a flyrod. We both fly fish so - bonus, I forgot to ask what size rod? I assume 5?
yes I am so excited. Hope we get the draw this year? He booked last October. I found out in July my birthday.

Very accurate from what I remember too and what we were told.
We hunted till dark too. Wasn't a problem for us. My brother shot his bull the evening of day 2 about a half hour before dark. It was DRT with 180 gr accubond. What our guide led us to do was we gutted it and rolled the guts down the mountain, the griz can go eat that for free. Then we pee'd around the elk and left an artical of clothing on the elk. The grizzlies know that the elk is ours, it will scare off and wait until we're done. The same bears have been on these huntin grounds for years. They know humans are gonna pack out meat and leave all the rest for the bears to eat in peace.
Our outfitter told us the issue can be if you kill an elk before dark and you CAN'T find it that evenin. When you go back the next mornin and find your elk and a grizz is on it, then the grizz thinks the elk is his.
So according to that YES practice practice and put the lead in the boiler room! Good luck I can't wait to read the story after y'all go! I hope it is this fall too

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Just found out last night. We did not get drawn for this year… fingers crossed for 2024. Guide said better than 50% next year. We are buying preference points. Till then more shooting.

earlthegoat2

I did a lot of shooting with my 300 before my Nilgai hunt. I tested 7 different factory loads until I got the accuracy I wanted. Easily bought $500 worth of ammo.

The Federal 200gr Terminal Ascents worked best for me and I was able to knock a Nilgai down with one quartering to shot.

HughW2

Federal acquired the rights to Trophy Bonded Bullets; they then spun the Trophy Bonded technology into two different lines in their ammo offerings: Trophy Bonded Tip and Terminal Ascent. The Terminal Ascent is supposed to be their most technological advanced bullet in terms of marrying high bc and high quality bonded bullet technology. I don’t have any experience with the Terminal Ascent being that they are so new, but have Lots of experience with Trophy Bonded and they are very tough bullets.