Status report on 300 win Mag for Elk hunt

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Some of you May remember when I bought this rifle - posted in “bought a gun today thread” I have never owned a rifle so long and not shot it… but I want everything to go perfect. I finally found 100 rounds of hunting ammo got another hundred of the same stuff on the way. Ordered my CDS dial from Leupold for Altitude 9000 feet… set my eye relief yesterday (not on the picture). I am gonna zero rifle at 200 yards when dial comes in. Shoot the rifle at range with 500 yards and see how that does? Rezero in WY when I get there. Guide says most shots will be around 300 yards and sometimes as close as 50 yards - this is possibly a once in a lifetime hunt with my son. So I will shoot that rifle a lot and plan to work on endurance fitness - horseback and hiking with load. Draw has not come yet but could be early October this year. Any suggestions are welcome49293E33-E051-432E-8A2C-1E82BD7A7137.jpeg

rmp

I like your plans. Especially the part on fitness. Adrenaline and elevation often takes its toll.
The only suggestion that comes to mind is practice plenty of off-hand shots. Rarely is an elk hunt a textbook hunt. If it is, great. If not, try to be prepared.
Put your sling in a hard to reach spot so you can’t get to it. A rifle on your back instead of in your hands can cost you. Gun slings save more animal lives than PETA.

Nimrod71

Harry, you are in for a great adventure = Be Prepared. I remember my first Elk hunt in New Mexico, it was fun and I enjoyed it very much, I saw a lot of elk and some really nice bulls but I didn't get a shot. The Pinion trees were dropping nuts and the elk were in the thick brush. I made 6did a lot better the next year, got a big 6 x 6.

Your plan sounds good. I suggest you start horse back riding as soon as possible. Riding horses in the mountains can be rough. You will also need good boots for climbing, I suggest a pair of Danner Hood Winter Lite boots. I got my first pair after a bad time with Rocky's. You need a hard bottom boot to walk and climb on rocks. I know these are not cheap boots but they will last a long time if you take care of them, get at least one size larger than normal. Next you need to walk with a load on you back. I suggest and army Alice Pack loaded with at least 35 lbs. If you don't have access to high hills or mountain trails I suggest climbing stairs or bleachers in a stadium. Ask guide about weather and carry all the clothes for warm, cool, cold and wet weather. Weather changes fast out there. I have seen the temp. drop 40 degrees in 3 hours. Good Luck.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Harry, you are in for a great adventure = Be Prepared. I remember my first Elk hunt in New Mexico, it was fun and I enjoyed it very much, I saw a lot of elk and some really nice bulls but I didn't get a shot. The Pinion trees were dropping nuts and the elk were in the thick brush. I made 6did a lot better the next year, got a big 6 x 6.

Your plan sounds good. I suggest you start horse back riding as soon as possible. Riding horses in the mountains can be rough. You will also need good boots for climbing, I suggest a pair of Danner Hood Winter Lite boots. I got my first pair after a bad time with Rocky's. You need a hard bottom boot to walk and climb on rocks. I know these are not cheap boots but they will last a long time if you take care of them, get at least one size larger than normal. Next you need to walk with a load on you back. I suggest and army Alice Pack loaded with at least 35 lbs. If you don't have access to high hills or mountain trails I suggest climbing stairs or bleachers in a stadium. Ask guide about weather and carry all the clothes for warm, cool, cold and wet weather. Weather changes fast out there. I have seen the temp. drop 40 degrees in 3 hours. Good Luck.
E20C0400-5124-4A00-B1C1-58CB0AB48576.jpegI have had these boots for many years - I have not put many miles on them. It just never gets cold enough round here. I plan to wear these. They are broke in.

Guide told me that the #1 reason hunters can’t get an elk: fitness. So that is my focus.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Go ahead and fire it now and start to get acquainted with it. You can zero the scope now and swap the turret and still be on zero and have range time and experience already in the works.
I was thinking about that… I think your right, might as well use the turret I already got. Get familiar and easy to swap later. Then I already got my “SE dial zeroed”

Reactions: Dub

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Does the turret already allow for the elevation change?
Yes, it comes with a generic one suitable for around here (I hope). I thought I would zero that one with 150 grain bullets for when down at 700’ altitude for local hunting and in Texas (which I doubt I would do much of). Shorter range stuff. Leupold custom engraves the turret dial so you have a everything perfect for your specific round (m velocity and bc) rifle setup (ring height) and environment (temp and altitude). So I wanted that. I bought 200 grain for Elk and will likely shoot power point in 150 and shorter range stuff. Switch turret for elk or switch dial again for shorter range SE deer. Honestly this rifle will go to my son one day and I want it to be perfect. He is actually paying for this trip to WY so least I could do. I would love for him to use it many more times and possibly take a moose one day.

Elkbane

I've done 20 western elk hunts. Here's my advice:

This
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/primos-polecat-steady-stix-magnum

And this
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/nikon-monarch-7i-rangefinder

Learn how to use both and don't leave home without either one. IME, the most stable shots are from a sitting position, often on sloping ground. Those sticks are the most stable and easy to deploy/adjust of any I've found (I detest trigger sticks, they are noisy, quirky to use and difficult to use on anything but flat ground).

You'll also need some decent binoculars and a not- too-large day pack. Start considering your clothing - it's not the cold that gets to you on western hunts, but rather the constant wind. Think layering rather than single heavier garments.

I'd start shooting now - in case your rifle doesn't like that load (it happens, a lot) to give you plenty of time to change to a different load. If that load doesn't work for you, try Nosler ammo - while I reload, everything I've ever shot of their loaded ammo worked well in my rifles across a reasonable range of calibers.
Elkbane

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Some of you May remember when I bought this rifle - posted in “bought a gun today thread” I have never owned a rifle so long and not shot it… but I want everything to go perfect. I finally found 100 rounds of hunting ammo got another hundred of the same stuff on the way. Ordered my CDS dial from Leupold for Altitude 9000 feet… set my eye relief yesterday (not on the picture). I am gonna zero rifle at 200 yards when dial comes in. Shoot the rifle at range with 500 yards and see how that does? Rezero in WY when I get there. Guide says most shots will be around 300 yards and sometimes as close as 50 yards - this is possibly a once in a lifetime hunt with my son. So I will shoot that rifle a lot and plan to work on endurance fitness - horseback and hiking with load. Draw has not come yet but could be early October this year. Any suggestions are welcomeView attachment 1140966
You will like those terminal ascents 300 WM on elk, I had one punch through both shoulders, the spine and stop just under the skin on a 750 lb. bull. I also shot a cow nearly as big behind the shoulder and she only made it 20 yards.

oppthepop

Man oh man you have me wanting to go! True on the Danners - best boot IMHO for the climb. I also shoot a 300 win mag but with handloads. 180 grain Nosler Accubonds. Depending on where you are going you might want to consider a good supplement for altitude sickness AVOIDANCE. It can ruin a good trip quickly - trust me.
I agree - start shooting now, shoot a lot. get the best set of binoculars you can afford AND THEN SOME. and yes, get in shape. My last bull died at 9000 feet, 9 miles from the truck, in 13 degree weather blowing snow, AND I LOVED IT! good clothing, good boots, good physical condition, and you will be planning your next hunt before you get home!

menhadenman

You're in for a great trip... WY one of my favorite states.

- You nailed in on exercise. You can toss a 50 lb bag of sand in a pack and hit the hills (or 30 minutes on stair climber several days a week).

- A great pack with a water bladder goes a long way. Same with boots and glass. And it's much easier to cover ground with glass.

- Always be prepared to be miserable and out for a long time (or until 2 AM packing meat).

- See if there's any chance to get your eyes on some animals before the hunt.

- I always carry a shooting stick... offhand is good to practice but better left for emergencies ;)

Good luck and send pics! Here are a few from my last deer hunt in WY (2020)... wish I had a bull tag but we got a few nice bucks.

Attachments

• IMG_5377.JPEG
    IMG_5377.JPEG
    213.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5378.JPEG
    IMG_5378.JPEG
    479.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5385.JPEG
    IMG_5385.JPEG
    240.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5398.JPEG
    IMG_5398.JPEG
    444.7 KB · Views: 23

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Man oh man you have me wanting to go! True on the Danners - best boot IMHO for the climb. I also shoot a 300 win mag but with handloads. 180 grain Nosler Accubonds. Depending on where you are going you might want to consider a good supplement for altitude sickness AVOIDANCE. It can ruin a good trip quickly - trust me.
I agree - start shooting now, shoot a lot. get the best set of binoculars you can afford AND THEN SOME. and yes, get in shape. My last bull died at 9000 feet, 9 miles from the truck, in 13 degree weather blowing snow, AND I LOVED IT! good clothing, good boots, good physical condition, and you will be planning your next hunt before you get home!

I got a prescription for Diamox for altitude sickness from my doctor before I went just in case, but I didn't really need it. It was a lifesaver for one in our group though, the altitude really hit him hard.

sleepr71

True…but that’s better than training down here at 300’ ..?. I’ve never been mountain hunting..but getting there a few days ahead…sounds like a good idea!

rmp

When it comes to the gear mentioned above, trust your Outfitter. It's what they do and they know what it takes. Plus, the terrain varies over the state and I've never hunted anything as flat as shown above.

Before I became a resident, I was fortunate enough to hunt elk 2x and got bulls both times. I can't say the same about everyone in camp. Both shots off-hand and it all happened very quickly hence my suggestion above. Being able to shoot is never a detriment.

Our Outfitter told us to be in as good of shape as possible and that you'll never kill an elk without a gun in your hands.

menhadenman

How about heading to the N.Ga Mountains & “training” just before leaving? Get used to less Oxygen..?

Hit me up anytime - happy to run blood mountain with you. 20 minutes from my porch. And it’s not the same as 9k but it’s a good substitute with a pack.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
[QUOTE=

Guide told me that the #1 reason hunters can’t get an elk: fitness. So that is my focus

I went Wyoming backcountry on my elk hunt in 2015. Our outfitter told us same thing. #1 reason people didn't get a bull is fitness.
If you have a good guide they will find elk everyday. If you can keep up with yer guide you will see them too.
I'm excited for ya! I had a great time on our hunt!! My brother n I both got bulls.
Yes sir go ride some horses first, yer butt will get used to it. Walk up and down steep grades to practice. Everything is straight up or straight down up there! Nothin can compare you for the elevation shortness of oxagen. And by the the time you get accustomed to it the trip will be over. Clingmans Dome off 441 in the Smokies is the only place around here that has come close to makin my lungs burn like the Rockies. But it's still not the same but it's the closest.
Good luck man that's gonna be an AWESOME hunt.
And nice lookin rifle!