307 winchester

Haven't had this rifle out in a long time, got to wondering how many people on here hunt with a 307 Winchester. Or in fact, how many people have even heard of a 307 Winchester?

Attachments

• IMG_4561.jpeg
    IMG_4561.jpeg
    265.4 KB · Views: 24

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I've heard of one, never owned one.
Over summer I acquired 5 boxes of 356 Winchester ammo.
I never owned one of those either, but I was able to get rid of them quickly to someone who does.

Reactions: 021

chase870

Possum Sox
I've heard of it and might still have a few box's of ammo laying around somewhere

I don't think they classified the 307 as a 94 Big Bore, but it certainly rates as one with the thicker rear part of the receiver being the same.

Last edited:

Pretty much all the Big Bores were commercial flops but they were essentially the best 94's ever made. Forged receivers and internals, great bluing and wood, and great chamberings considering how an open sighted levergun was meant to be used. Part of it was bad marketing, part because they were introduced at a time when leverguns were not popular anymore. Sad.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
You could have sold the 356 to me also.
Ammo is a pain to ship anymore.
This is what I had tho. Was 8 boxes not 5!
One was a box of reloads.
20230519_141111.jpg

earlthegoat2

There have been 10 boxes of 307 ammo for sale at PSA in Savannah for over a year now.

Apparently nobody around here has one.

RomeWolf

Those 10 boxes showed up during the pandemic ammo shortage. I had never heard of the round until I saw they were the only thing left on the shelf at the Savannah PSA. 308 performance in a lever action. Cool idea.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
In my opinion the more blunt profile bullets needed to be used in the mag tube never allowed the 307 and 356 to live up to their full Ballistic capabilities and that a person could by a Browning BLR and use the spitzer bullets were the two main reasons those cartridges never really took off.
If Hornady had the flex tips back then the story may be different. I bet if Hornady ran some current ammo for each with flex tips they would create a new craze for people wanting those rifles again.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
you can't ship it USPS but with the diamond on it UPS will take it anywhere they can Ground.
About a year or so ago UPS was in the middle of an ammo shipping policy change. It was a 45 minute process and 4 phone calls fom the desk clerk to management until they finally did it.
I read the new rules ahead of time and had everything ready to go properly labeled and I had to explain the new policy to them. A customer used to be able to draw the hazardous symbol on the package, and UPS now required a 4x4 sticker...which UPS (at that time, did not provide , and may still not providefor all I know). And this was at the same Center that my wife worked at for 18yrs..and I knew the desk clerk personally.
After it finally got figured out he said that starting the next month, that they will not be accepting ground ammo shipments from non FFL senders.
Since that time, and because of the backlash they received, they changed policy yet again. You are at the mercy of the knowledge of the desk clerk.

They made this. Expensive and hard to find.

Attachments

• IMG_5648.jpeg
    IMG_5648.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 11