john243

So I’ve hunted a .243 with Federal Premium Nosler Partition 100grain bullets for deer my whole life. They are devastating on whitetails no matter the mid Ga. Size. I’ve never had a problem with bone, distances up to 250yrds, and never had one run off. I mostly choose neck placement, but an occasional shoulder. There is usually a pie sized hydrostatic shock blister on the inside of the hide at the exit wound, which to me shows a good transfer of energy. I purchased a .308 and would like to have some input on favorite rounds for whitetails in this caliber. 250 yards or less is all I would need. I have had friends tell me that the Federal Premium Nosler Partitions in .308 don’t work as well as they do in the .243. Their experience has been the deer are knocked down, but then jump up and run off. I’ve purchased some Winchester 120gr. ballistic silver tips, federal fusion 165gr., 150gr Nosler partitions and Winchester pdx1 120gr defenders, which is a self defense round. My thinking on the pdx1 was good expansion instead of just punching a hole. If you have tried the .308 and have had good results with a particular round, please share your results, as it will take me a while to trial and error the ones I have. Thanks.

HughW2

.308 has never failed me on GA whitetails; and has become my favorite cartridge. I have always preferred the partition, but Nosler has priced them up to the point that I have started to use other bullets. I am currently using the Norma Whitetail 150 grain.

I would say to try several different loads at different grain weights. .308s depending on twist rate will typically show a preference. 1-10” twist try the 165 grain or above.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I am a fan of 150 grain bullets in the .308.

I shoot SST's, but the partitions would be great. Core Lokts and Power Points have killed a bunch deer in the south.

165's are also a good weight, but just not necessary.

I'm a fan of 150 gr Power Points myself. :rockon:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
You can get Barnes TSX 150s loaded in Federal premium ammo.

Buckman18

Winchester Deer Season XP are my favorites.

Power Points are #2.

Reason: both work, both are accurate, both are cheap, both are easy to find, and both perform well on game. The XP blow a bigger hole. Less tracking, and easier tracking.

Hunter922

Hornady Superformance 165 GR / CX.
Run this thru our TC Encore pros in .308 and they work very well.
The Hornady Match has grouped well also.

Deerhead

150 gn is a good bullet weight. It shot well out of my rifle. There are a lot of choices and the previous comments are great. There are lots of choices that will work well. I like bonded bullets. Accubond bullets are my favorite. Have shot partitions will good results. Hope this helps but lots of good options.

Jim Boyd

Just remember - don’t overthink it.

Deer are lightly skinned, lightly muscled with a slight skeleton.

They are very easily killed.

Any decently constructed bullet moving at decent speed will do the job.

It is more about where you shoot them than what you shoot them with.

We kill them with arrows all the time.

.308 is a great caliber. Have fun!!!!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I used the Hornady whitetail in 165 gr has been good for me and wasn’t crazy expensive….and available! I think any decent load would be good so long as you have shot them and are confident it is going to go where you want. My Savage seems to like a 165gr, but I’m gonna give the 150s another try this year.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
You can catch the Hornady Whitetail 150s on sale very reasonable.

earlthegoat2

In 7mm and above, I think the Nosler Ballistic Tip is a better choice.

Used them in 150 gr with 30-06 and had the only bang flops I have ever had with a sub-45 cal non magnum.

308 is all I use for deer. X3 on Hornady whitetails, Ive shot both 150 & 165, don’t really notice a difference but all my shots are inside 100 these days. When I was hunting fields with longer shots I used Barnes 150 w good success.

That bar will not kill a whitetail deer any where in the US in 308 caliber. Feel free to forward me your address and I will gladly take it off your hands. Lol.Good looking rifle and any of the above comments are spot on for ideal loads in your rifle also check out the Barnes Vortex line of ammo especially in the 130 grain flavor their fast flat and always a pass thru on broad side shots, good luck on future success with that rifle. BHS