ditchdoc24

I love my .308 and it's pretty much all I use for deer and hogs. My go-to load is 150 grain Core-Lokts or Power Points. I keep getting the itch and trying different calibers but I always come back to the .308.

SC Hunter

A 308 is an excellent choice for deer in this part of the country. Any decent bullet put in a good spot is going to dump deer with a quickness. Partitions in 243 is bad news on deer I imagine a 308 will perform with similar results.

john243

4256E5E3-ED9B-4341-8CB6-BAA01F31694C.jpeg
Trusted old Ruger .243. It has been a great gun. It has hunted many a rainy day as well, from drizzle to full downpour. I made a muzzle break for my kids to shoot it when they were small (6yrs old). It only kicks like a .223 with it in place, but a little louder. It’s funny how an old gun can feel like family.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
View attachment 1209452
Trusted old Ruger .243. It has been a great gun. It has hunted many a rainy day as well, from drizzle to full downpour. I made a muzzle break for my kids to shoot it when they were small (6yrs old). It only kicks like a .223 with it in place, but a little louder. It’s funny how an old gun can feel like family.
That’s what I shoot in .308. Had the trigger worked to smooth it. It’s about 2.5 lbs now, they are great rifles.

SC Hunter

I've had 5 I think in different makes and models of 308 I still own 1. I'm wanting a ruger american in 308 I believe for climber and ladder stand hunting. For what ammo cost it's crazy not to have at least 1.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
This Bar in .308 killed a couple of 8points last year, using Federal 150gr. Nosler Partition -- bam & dead***** and I too,like your Bar as well as that Ruger !!!!(y)

View attachment 1209465

Sweet gun.

.308 is the most adaptable round for all kinds of hunting. It's not enough round for almost nothing and it's only too much round for squirrels, unless you can make a clean head shot. :bounce:

john243

Sweet gun.

.308 is the most adaptable round for all kinds of hunting. It's not enough round for almost nothing and it's only too much round for squirrels, unless you can make a clean head shot. :bounce:
I go totally different for squirrel head shots. FX Wildcat pcp .22 pellet rifle(silencer on the end) Headshots at 60 yards. If I could just post videos. I film through my scope with iPhone.

Attachments

• 3E83036D-E063-4BF0-B841-D859CF51F9C7.jpeg
    3E83036D-E063-4BF0-B841-D859CF51F9C7.jpeg
    437 KB · Views: 12

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I go totally different for squirrel head shots. FX Wildcat pcp .22 pellet rifle(silencer on the end) Headshots at 60 yards. If I could just post videos. I film through my scope with iPhone.

I like the challenge of the 308. Either way, if you miss, you got no squirrel meat. :bounce:

madsam

SWEEET BAR !!! used 308 always BLR ....150 grain to 165 grain.. best group
with 165 grain.....thats a really nice rifle. Maybe momma will get me one
for Valentines.

35 Whelen

This year I used the first 308 I have ever owned, a Remington Model Seven Blued/Synthetic with a Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 scope. Loaded up some 165 grain Hornady Interlock soft point bullets with 42.5 grains of Reloader 15. At the range it put two shots in the same hole at 50 yards (after initially sighting in with 150 grain Norma Whitetail.) Definitely liked the 165 grain bullets over the 150's. Killed two bucks with the 165 grain load this last season, no problems, neither of them went more than a few steps after being shot right behind the shoulder.20220626_104511.jpg

Last edited:

WishboneW

This year I used the first 308 I have ever owned, a Remington Model Seven Blued/Synthetic with a Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 scope. Loaded up some 165 grain Hornady Interlock soft point bullets with 42.5 grains of Reloader 15. At the range it put two shots in the same hole at 50 yards (after initially sighting in with 150 grain Norma Whitetail.) Definitely liked the 165 grain bullets over the 150's. Killed two bucks with the 165 grain load this last season, no problems, neither of them went more than a few steps after being shot right behind the shoulder.View attachment 1209756
I use that exact same load for my 2 bolt .308. Browning micro medallion and Ruger m77 mkII compact stainless

If I use 150 gr bullets they prefer Varget

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
Dad and I have been shooting a 308 for many years. He's had his for 50 yrs and I've had mine for 30+ yrs. We loaded Nosler ballistic tips for many years and changed over to the Hornady Superformance SST when it come out. Their round is loaded up hot like the one's we were loading and it has the polymer tip as well. Dad likes the 165 grain and I like the 150 grain. Neither bullet has let us down yet. From 20 yds up to 250 yds they give a complete pass thru and they drop within 50 yds if they do run at all. Each gun is different just have to find what works best with it.

transfixer

As others have said, most any good 150gr bullet will do fine, I've used a .308 since the early 90's , but I reload, I use Hornady btsp's 150gr, and have even used 150gr sierra bthp match also, but I'm a stickler for shot placement, high shoulder shots are realistically all I'll take, never had either load not drop them where they stood

Hillbilly stalker

View attachment 1209452
Nice rifle. They call those “ Boat paddle” Rugers around here. A .308 with a 150 grain bullet is just about perfect medicine for our South Eastern whitetail. If I was hunting up in Saskatchewan or something similar, I might move up, but not around here.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Man congrats on a FINE rifle! That is a BEAUTIFUL piece of walnut! Very nice!!!!
We've run many 308's in our family and friends.
They've worked great for us for deer, elk and moose.
I read most all the post above and I would just agree. with them. Most 150gr and 165gr from most manufactures will kill Ga whitetails with ease! Find the bullets your particular gun groups best with and go from there.
My wife shoots 165gr ballistic tips, she does behind the shoulder lung shots and there's a blood trail a blind man can find every time

Latest posts