Nosler Partition Replacement bullet in .308

Xeroid

I've always used Federal Premium Ammunition with the 150 grain Nosler Partition bullet in .308 but they're getting hard to find. What would be a comparable replacement that would provide superior expansion like the Nosler Partition?

Big7

The Oracle
If you are trying to stay with Federal, try Fusion or Terminal Ascent, IF you can find them.
That's the high end lead core offerings from Federal. I think they might have stopped using Partitions but don't quote me on that.

They make PLENTY of suitable Whitetail ammo like the regular "Blue Box" is what I'm shooting right now in 30- 30 Win.

Any expanding 308 designed for hunting will work on a deer.

Last edited:

HughW2

Good advice from Big7. Federal Blue Box is quality economy ammo. Federal Fusion is high quality bonded core. I don’t have experience with Terminal Ascent; but Federal claims that they took all of the proprietary technology from Trophy Bonded Bullets and then added a polymer tip to make the bullet more aerodynamic and the Terminal Ascent was created!
I have used Trophy Bonded bullets for African game and elk and can vouch for their reputation as tough and deadly.

Liberty

I like the blue box also, but some guns wont shoot it well. Hornady Whitetail is loaded with Interlocks. Interlocks are mighty fine bullets in appropriate weights for the game being hunted.

Dub

@Xeroid , I've never pushed my .308 Win hunting rifles fast enough to feel like the awesome Partition was warranted.

I've had great luck with handloaded 165gr Nosler BT & 165gr Sierra GameKings. That was many years back....my next .308 handloads may very well be tipped with 110gr & 130gr Barnes TTSX.

Gator89

The Nosler Accubond is a darn fine rapidly expanding bullet that holds together well. Not sure who loads them in factory ammo, but if you can find some they'll serve you well.

Nosler has a line of ammunition and offers Accubonds as an option, be prepared for sticker shock if you find some.

I have 5 rounds of 270 left from a few boxes of Winchester Supreme I bought close to 20 years ago. The old black coated bullet with a red tip. I also still have a box of the same in 7mm mag.

140 grain Nosler Accubond, best bullet I have ever shot.

Last edited:

Lilly001

Like was mentioned, you do not need premium bullets for Ga white tails.
But neither do you need a safe full of guns.
To the OP’s question, I believe a few premium bullet manufacturers like Swift make bullets similar to the partition. But in todays world they will be just as hard to find and just as $$.
Like others suggested just find a bonded premium bullet that your gun will shoot well.
The plethora of ammo selections that we were spoiled to have may well be a by gone luxury.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
If you reload, Nosler makes a ballistic tip bullet that is very accurate and retains its weight close to the specs of the partition. It’s an excellent bullet on white tail. Midway USA has a contract for the Nosler over runs. Absolutely the same bullet but sold in a white box at a discount.

If trying to stay with Federal I’ve had success with the Fusion line.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Shooters Pro Shop is Nosler's retail outlet. They offer loaded ammo, brass and bullets...1sts, 2nds, and overruns. Their available products vary so it pays to check regularly.

Xeroid

Like was mentioned, you do not need premium bullets for Ga white tails.
But neither do you need a safe full of guns.
To the OP’s question, I believe a few premium bullet manufacturers like Swift make bullets similar to the partition. But in todays world they will be just as hard to find and just as $$.
Like others suggested just find a bonded premium bullet that your gun will shoot well.
The plethora of ammo selections that we were spoiled to have may well be a by gone luxury.
I got started using Nossler Partition in .280 but .280 ammo is nearly impossible to find now.

Liberty

Shooters Pro Shop is Nosler's retail outlet. They offer loaded ammo, brass and bullets...1sts, 2nds, and overruns. Their available products vary so it pays to check regularly.
I’ve ordered an awful lot of their bullets. I’ve noticed the factory 2nd Partitions to have a little flatter lead tips, but no worse than being loaded and carried into a magazine a couple of times. I just get overall length off the cannelure. No difference in practical accuracy has been noticed.

Xeroid

@Xeroid , I've never pushed my .308 Win hunting rifles fast enough to feel like the awesome Partition was warranted.

I've had great luck with handloaded 165gr Nosler BT & 165gr Sierra GameKings. That was many years back....my next .308 handloads may very well be tipped with 110gr & 130gr Barnes TTSX.
My son uses Barnes TSX ammo in his 25-06 and has done so since he started hunting 13 years ago. He has always been well pleased with it. Drops them right where he shoots them. I picked some up to try when I finally run out of Nossler Partition.

Dub

My son uses Barnes TSX ammo in his 25-06 and has done so since he started hunting 13 years ago. He has always been well pleased with it. Drops them right where he shoots them. I picked some up to try when I finally run out of Nossler Partition.

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

I have some 80gr TTSX that I want to try in .243 Win and 130gr that I will try in .308 Win & .30'06.

Hopefully the light-for-caliber bullets will be driven to the velocities these bullets need. I don't foresee any issues as my barrels are 22" and I'll try different powders.

Xeroid

I got into the habit of using Nosler Partition bullets back when my .280 was my primary deer rifle but ammo is as rare as hens teeth for that caliber now. I always felt that the smaller calibers needed a well expanding bullet. I started deer hunting many years ago using a .270 using a Sierra Boat Tail in 140 grain and always had to blood track a deer 75 yards even with a perfectly placed shot.

I started my son with a .25-06 when he was a mere lad (due to lighter recoil). Always used Barnes TSX Federal Premium ammo in his riffle and never had a problem. Always dropped them where he shot them. He still uses that rifle and bullet combo to this day 13 years later. He took a buck last week with that setup.

I recently switched to .308 due to ammo availability. Seems .308 was fairly available even during the height of Covid. I'm just trying to settle on which ammo I'm going to use right now. Took a pretty nice 9 point with 165 grain boat tail soft point yesterday using some Federal Premium ammo my late father used and it performed well. Not to mention it wasn't a well placed shot due to the deer running by my stand doing about 90mph. lol

On a sad note I have a Ruger .280 with a Leopold 3.5-10 Vari-X3 scope that the only ammo I can even find for it is Remmington (which I'm not very impressed with). Thanks for listening to an old cogger and for your advice.

Xeroid

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

I have some 80gr TTSX that I want to try in .243 Win and 130gr that I will try in .308 Win & .30'06.

Hopefully the light-for-caliber bullets will be driven to the velocities these bullets need. I don't foresee any issues as my barrels are 22" and I'll try different powders.
I believe my son's .25-06 is using 110 grain Barnes TSX bullets and it performs unbelievably well.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I believe my son's .25-06 is using 110 grain Barnes TSX bullets and it performs unbelievably well.
I’m working loading .308 with 130 grain TTSX now. My in-laws use them out west on much heavier game with great success.

Liberty

I’m working loading .308 with 130 grain TTSX now. My in-laws use them out west on much heavier game with great success.
If “traditional powders” aren't doing what you need. My early experiments with copper bullets in .223, .243 and .308, H4895, Tac, CFE223, and Ramshot Hunter have given positive results.

Buckstop

The Nosler Accubond is a darn fine rapidly expanding bullet that holds together well. Not sure who loads them in factory ammo, but if you can find some they'll serve you well.

I'd second this if you can find them in factory loads. Buddy was hunting with his new 308 win last week shooting 150 NAB's that I'd hand loaded for him. Killed 4 does. None took a step. All were pass throughs.