.45 Colt

GAR

Anyone going to hunt with this cartridge this year?

If so, what load are you going to use?

GAR

redlevel

250 grain semi-wadcutter ahead of anywhere from eight to ten grains of Unique. I have never chronographed this load myself, but 10 grains of Unique supposedly pushes the 250 grain bullet at 1000 fps from a 7.5 inch Blackhawk. I think my progressive loader is set to throw 9.7 grains. This is an excellent, not mild, but medium recoil load. It shoots well from the Ruger as well as the 94 AE Trapper rifle. If you need a hotter load, you need to go to a .44 Magnum or one of the various .45 pistols from Bowen, etc.

GAR

45 Colt

Shooting a Ruger Redhawk and a NM Blackhawk. Both have no problems digesting heavy handloads.

HODGDON has some pretty heavy loads that are specifically tailored for the Rugers, Dan Wesson and small frame Freedom Arms weapons.

Currently shooting a lot of WW 296 powder with bullets from 270-300 grains. Mostly heavy for caliber LBT style.

Going to have to look at Unique like you stated. Should perform well with a 255gr SWC.

GAR

docduncan

44 ruger hunter

I have been using 25gr of H110 behind a 240gr jacketed bullet in my 44 Ruger Hunter. This year I will also use 25gr of H110 in my Ruger 7 1/2 Vaquero with a 250 gr jacketed bullet. Hee Hee
I would use black powder or 777 but it just doesnt get the velocity for deer killin.
Doc

Larry Rooks

255 gr Keith type cast bullet over a dose of Blue Dot, works great, several hogs that went down in their tracks.
The Ruger Blackhawk can stand some pretty hot stuff too.

Jason280

255gr cast bullet over AA #7, with a muzzle velocity of right around 1000fps. I'm using this in two guns, one a 4 5/8" Blackhawk, and the other a 7.5" Bisley.

GAR

45 Colt

For a while there I thought I was the only one that shot this old round.

Have some 300gr Keith style bullets on order and they should be fun to play with.

Did load some 255gr SWC with 30gr of PYRODEX and fired them out of my Blackhawk. That revolver got hot right quick!! Fired a total of ten rounds and called it quits. Heck of a mess to clean when I got home.

Can not wait to get home and shoot some more!

GAR

Stu

It is a good round, it probably killed more Indians and Banditos than all the other rounds combined. I use the .45 Long Colt for a self defense weapon, never thought about using it for deer hunting, but loaded properly with the right bullet it should be a good round.

if i run out of money for my .460 rounds i just might pick some of them up to hunt with out of my x-frame!

Larry Rooks

I just got some of the Barnes 250 gr XPB's that I'm gonna try in this Ruger Blackhawk of mine. They should be awesome

GAR

45 Colt

Went out and shot the Redhawk with some 300gr Keith style gas checked bullets last week. Sure was fun. Shot some plastic bottles at a 100yds.

Been doing so much travelling for my company that I have not had a chance to hunt. Hopefully that will change soon.

GAR