After 40 years of hunting I am done

oldguy

I almost died from Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever couple of years ago. A small percentage of people don't break out in spots and I'm in that group. My Doctor has some experience with it, was reading over the blood work, stopped, looked me dead in the eye and asked if I hade a tick on me or had been bite within the last few days. It took a long time to get over it
Dang! Glad you OK.

Jim Boyd

Why kill it if you aren’t going to eat it? Sounds reasonable to me.

So the OP should stop hunting because he cannot eat the deer meat?

What about family, friends, etc?

TurkeyDreamer

The med community can't make no $$$$ without selling drugs!

I’ve been reading and keeping up with this thread as I find it very interesting and informative. However, I hope comments like this one do not dissuade folks from going to see their physician if they are having symptoms of concern. Yes, physicians do prescribe medications. But, don’t assume all physicians just want to prescribe meds to make money any more than the other doctors mentioned just want to do needling to make money.

Rather, expect to get what you go for. Otherwise that’s like saying “I don’t go to Chick-fil-A cause all they want to sell me is chicken!”

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
I keep the ticks I get off my person. I label the date, where they came from, and the location I removed them from. I’m not a DR, but I’ve heard it can be easier to test the tick for disease/infection than to test us. I dunno, it can’t hurt to have the specimen should the need arise.

gregg

Very interesting thread, I have had Alpha Gal for approximately 20 years, just don't eat mammal meat. The acupuncture option seems interesting and legit for some, will look into that for sure.

ryanh487

Just caught a lonestar tick crawling up my calf after spending the morning at camp. Didn't even go in the woods so spraying didn't cross my mind. Thank God I caught the thing before it latched on!