After season Trap Prep

Mike81

What do you guys do with your footholds to keep them in good conditions after the season is done. I have pressured washed my footholds, but do I need to get them down to bare steel again and start the rusting process for dye and wax?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
What do you guys do with your footholds to keep them in good conditions after the season is done. I have pressured washed my footholds, but do I need to get them down to bare steel again and start the rusting process for dye and wax?

I hosed mine off good, boiled them in dye for a while, re-applied the Zep, and threw em in a box under my work bench in the shed...

sportsman94

In the past I’ve always put them away as is and dealt with them the following November. This year I went ahead and got everything ready (cleaned, dyed, waxed) so I would be ready to go next time I’m ready to set. Even made sure I had earth anchors attached this go around. I’m more organized than I have ever been and trapping was still on my mind so it wasn’t as much of a burden as it was in the past. I’m gonna try to set a few more over the next couple months and will likely go ahead and re dye and wax when I’m done with those

Mike81

In the past I’ve always put them away as is and dealt with them the following November. This year I went ahead and got everything ready (cleaned, dyed, waxed) so I would be ready to go next time I’m ready to set. Even made sure I had earth anchors attached this go around. I’m more organized than I have ever been and trapping was still on my mind so it wasn’t as much of a burden as it was in the past. I’m gonna try to set a few more over the next couple months and will likely go ahead and re dye and wax when I’m done with those
Did you clean the traps back down to steel before you dyed and waxed

sportsman94

Did you clean the traps back down to steel before you dyed and waxed

I just sprayed and wire brushed the traps then put them straight into the dye. I used to boil in clean water first a couple times, float the excess wax off the top, then let them dry for a couple days, then dye and wax. I will do it like I did this time from now on. Saves a lot of time and propane not boiling them in clean water first