All Wheel Drive pros or cons

DannyW

I think "cons" in the early days of AWD were cost, complicated repairs, and reliability. Today, I think those concerns in comparison are minimal and far outweighed by the "pros".

My Montero has both AWD and 4WD/low range in one system called Super Select. My 4WD Hi (no locked center differential) is AWD. I tow in that mode, when it's raining, or any other foul weather. When I switch from RWD to 4WD Hi on the fly, I can feel the front wheels "grip" just a bit. It handles better, is much more sure footed than in RWD mode, and there really isn't a penalty except maybe a tick of fuel mileage, but it's pretty much a bear in that category anyhow.

This writeup explains the system (Australia-style). So as far as AWD is concerned, 4H in this article w/o LC explains it. (Sounds similar to @earlthegoat2's Jeep system, I think it used to be called Quadra Trac in earlier days)
Mitsubishi Super Select 4x4

My vote is for AWD hands down. (And I wish they would still import their Pajero Sport which uses the same 4WD system today, except "fly by wire" instead of linkage control).

Side note: we passed a medium sized Nissan SUV nosed into the ditch last weekend on the way to the dump. No foul weather, driver appeared to have over corrected in the curve. It was an AWD and all 4 wheels were on the ground, but no matter what, it would not move out under it's own power, no wheel spin, tried to push, nope.

Went home, got my Montero and recovery gear, pulled him out easy-peasy, and he was on his way, after getting a phone "correction" from home for getting his wife's car in the ditch. I wonder if the Nissan CVT (transmission), just wouldn't apply power with the front end angled or lifted a bit from the ditch?

I think my 2004 Toyota 4-WD is similar to yours. I have the ability to shift into 4-WD drive LOW, but it stays in 4-WD HIGH otherwise. Not sure if this is considered AWD or 4-WD.

I have had rare occasions to go with 4-WD LOW.

Will say gas mileage sucks...around 14-15 MPG...the ONLY negative I have to say about the 2004 Toyota 4Runner. Solid car...whether it's an AWD or 4-WD.

hayseed_theology

We have an AWD KIA Telluride. It does seem very surefooted. I have more confidence in it on wet roads than I do our RWD vehicles.

It has a feature where you can lock the center diff which is supposed to make it like a standard 4x4 (but in reality, if the torque differential is too great the center diff will break over and slip). All that to say, it gives a lot of confidence and can emulate 4x4 under certain conditions. It's been nice to have on rainy days, on some nasty dirt(mud) roads here in South GA, and for occasional light offroading.

hipster dufus

I had a 99 honda crv w awd. Rear end was makin noise. After trip to mechanic w no fix. I changed rear diff oil, noise gone. Afterwards i changed it every 25k miles. Only issue i had with it. Took it to w va a few times sking. Was surefooted in snow and rain. Quit sking yrs ago so my newest crv is fwd. my truks r all rwd, tow my boat n pull up ramps w no issues. 20+ yrs wo 4wd. Just more stuff to break in my opinion.

transfixer

I had a 99 honda crv w awd. Rear end was makin noise. After trip to mechanic w no fix. I changed rear diff oil, noise gone. Afterwards i changed it every 25k miles. Only issue i had with it. Took it to w va a few times sking. Was surefooted in snow and rain. Quit sking yrs ago so my newest crv is fwd. my truks r all rwd, tow my boat n pull up ramps w no issues. 20+ yrs wo 4wd. Just more stuff to break in my opinion.

Unless you go offroad on a regular basis a 4wd truck really isn't necessary for most people, a 2wd pickup has very little weight over the rear axles unless the bed is loaded down with stuff, and the front end having the engine and front end components weigh a lot more, its harder to push weight than to pull it, (where fwd vehicles have an advantage) , so for me to own a 2wd pickup is useless ,, I go offroad regularly, and I need a truck because of how I use a vehicle,

For 2wd rear wheel drive vehicles weight distribution is critical if you're going to drive in mud,snow or ice, some of the suv's are okay because of the weight of the body in the back, adds traction to the rear wheels, its all about physics really, power without traction is useless, weight over the driving wheels gives you traction

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Do like my AWD Outback, its taken me in and out of places a RWD truck wouldn't go.
As far as Subaru's in the ditch - sounds like pilot error to me.
Not in over a foot of snow. The Subie has its limits.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, Subaru's are for city dwellers, they'll be fine with a little snow or ice, but they are woefully inadequate for serious snow or mud.
Yep. I was getting squirrely in an F-350 Superduty tricked out snowplow truck.