Altamaha mullet?

Nimrod71

While at the river Friday I saw a good number of Mullett jumping. I also saw some fresh mullet in Thriftway so I know someone in catching them.

aemosley

what is the best time of the year to catch some Altamaha mullet? And can they be caught above the Ohoopee River

Nimrod71

Right now is as good as it gets. Most of my frilloends are fishing for mullet now and they are catching coolers full. I am stuck on house work this week but next week I'm planning 3 days on the river. Water is down and sand bars are out and the mullet are running. You ask about fishing above the mouth of the Ohoopee, yes I have caught mullet all the way up to Hazlehurst Bridge. There are several good sand bars just below Hatch Plant. Mullet are all up and down the rivers here, just look for them jumping or running in the shallows. If you spot some, drop a salt block and put out your rabbit food and fish. Good Luck

BriarPatch99

Had a friend that fished for mullet at Lumber City, GA a lot...

I have seen them jump as far up as Red Bluff West of Jacksonville, Ga... My cousin fishes for them at the landing at 441 just below Jacksonville....

aemosley

Right now is as good as it gets. Most of my frilloends are fishing for mullet now and they are catching coolers full. I am stuck on house work this week but next week I'm planning 3 days on the river. Water is down and sand bars are out and the mullet are running. You ask about fishing above the mouth of the Ohoopee, yes I have caught mullet all the way up to Hazlehurst Bridge. There are several good sand bars just below Hatch Plant. Mullet are all up and down the rivers here, just look for them jumping or running in the shallows. If you spot some, drop a salt block and put out your rabbit food and fish. Good Luck

Thanks got to try some mullet fishing

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
You can catch em around Clark`s Bluff on the Oconee too. One of the baits the old folks used was the green moss that grows on the side of the well. That`s what Daddy used.

Ihunt

They’re all the way up in Macon on the Ocmulgee.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

What are you baiting your hook with in this setup?

Nimrod71

I use a #6 Aberdeen hook and I fish with red wigglers or as small a worm as I can get on the hook. Also I use weighted corks on 8 lb line and bb sinkers. When baiting the hook use several small worms and let them hang about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the hook. Do Not wind all of the worm up on the hook. Another good bait is green slime moss like you see growing in small slow moving streams. If you use the moss just wrap the hook in the moss and let it drift down to the salt block.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I use a #6 Aberdeen hook and I fish with red wigglers or as small a worm as I can get on the hook. Also I use weighted corks on 8 lb line and bb sinkers. When baiting the hook use several small worms and let them hang about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the hook. Do Not wind all of the worm up on the hook. Another good bait is green slime moss like you see growing in small slow moving streams. If you use the moss just wrap the hook in the moss and let it drift down to the salt block.
Thanks!

Bream Pole

A here i sit at the house recovering from surgery grrrrrrrrrr

My two favorite fish to catch and eat are mullet and jack

bvi

Do I have to have the salt blocks in order to catch a mullet?

Nimrod71

You do not have to have salt blocks or rabbit food to catch mullet. However, these will help you be more successful and it will speed up the catching. The salt and rabbit food is for chumming, fish attractant, to pull the fish in to your location. I have fished without both when I would see them on sand bars. I would just anchor the boat on the bar and bait up and cast to them. I usually would pick up one or two but it was not fast fishing. All I can say is try it and see how well it works for you.

Reactions: bvi