Anchor wag solution?

bighonkinjeep

Is there way to anchor a canoe in light river current where the canoe wont wag back and forth behind the anchor?
I've been using a small muahroom anchor.
Any tips appreciated.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Need 2 anchors front and back

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
A sea anchor deployed from the stern should do the trick while adding minimal weight and gear to the outfit.

Rabun

When you deploy your anchor how is it positioned in relation to the boat…straight out or off the side of your boat a bit?

bighonkinjeep

When you deploy your anchor how is it positioned in relation to the boat…straight out or off the side of your boat a bit?
I've just had the rope tied to the grab handle on the stern and ease it into the water when I see a spot I want to fish for more than a cast or 2. Pretty darn close to straight back.

Rabun

I would try to rig something that would allow you to deploy the anchor line directly out the center of the deck (end) and maybe payout a little more line and see if that doesn’t help with the waggle. If the keel is canted at all to the current it will waffle back and forth. If that doesn’t help, try the bucket (as suggested above) out front and see if that helps. Be sure and drill holes in the bucket to allow water to flow through it. I’d try a small bucket…not necessarily a five gallon. Let us know if you solve the problem as I’m sure you’re not alone with this issue

longrangedog

All of the rivers I've been on have trees washed into them, some visible and some not, that would snag anything, bucket or sea anchor.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
An anchor trolly would keep the bow pointed into the current and allow adjustment for wind, that should minimize drift. It’s what I use on my kayak.IMG_2083.jpeg

Rabun

I use a trolly on my kayak as well. Never seen one rigged on a canoe but guess it could work. My kayak doesn’t have much of a keel though.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I use a trolly on my kayak as well. Never seen one rigged on a canoe but guess it could work. My kayak doesn’t have much of a keel though.
Good point, it would depend on how big a canoe we’re talking as well.

Rabun

All of the rivers I've been on have trees washed into them, some visible and some not, that would snag anything, bucket or sea anchor.
I tend to agree. In moving water I prefer to use a drag chain and I always have a knife at the ready JIC, but I won’t go if river has high flow rate

BDD

Don't tie the anchor to the grab handle, it needs tied a few feet down the side, maybe to the runner on the back seat. This will have the canoe sit on a slight angle. Never anchor a canoe in fast water and have a knife close by in case you need to cut free.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I tend to agree. In moving water I prefer to use a drag chain and I always have a knife at the ready JIC, but I won’t go if river has high flow rate
I use a drag chain often in moving water. Put a cut bicycle tire over the links and they are unlikely to snag and still provide weight.

Latest posts