Ugh! Help

hipster dufus

Looks like my boat is going back to factory for repairs. Weld issues. Anyone been thru this? Tips? Timeline? I really appreciate any experiences, positive or negative.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I imagine the timeline will depend on the manufacturer.
I haven't heard good things about Tracker factory repairs being speedy.

GeorgiaBob

Welding aluminum is much more difficult than iron or steel and even the automated factory welding machines sometimes produce poor quality welds that quickly fail. Most of the time, poor or inadequate aluminum welds are found at the factory with stress tests and visual inspections. Sometimes they miss!

How long it takes to do the repairs really isn't the question. The actual welding won't take more than a few hours at most. But there are other factors that will take time.

How long will it take for your dealer to deliver the boat to the factory? How long will the boat wait until they can survey, identify the damage, and plan the repair? Is their a backlog of jobs for the welder? Once the welding is done, how long until they complete inspections, put the boat back in "like new" condition, and sign off on the job? And finally, how long will your boat sit at the factory waiting on transport?

So the answer to your question depends on a lot of steps that have nothing to do with welding a leak. You might get your boat back in a week. Or it might take months! Ugly truth.

hipster dufus

Good news n bad news, boat not under warranty so it's not goin to factory.
Bad news repair on me.
Bougie problems

Redbow

Looks like my boat is going back to factory for repairs. Weld issues. Anyone been thru this? Tips? Timeline? I really appreciate any experiences, positive or negative.
I bought a new Alumacraft boat years ago bad aluminum from the factory in places. They did pay for a local shop to do the welding but it still leaked and alumacraft would do nothing more for me with the boat still under warranty.

I hope you find a good welder to fix your boat.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
It takes a skilled welder to weld aluminum.
Welding a boat is an even higher skill.

If it was around Tallahassee, I know somebody that builds aluminum boats as a by-product.

crackerdave

The Smokercraft pontoon factory here in Lagrange had some good aluminum welders.Don't know where they are now that it's closed down.
Southern Ambulance Builders had some good ones,too.