“Shed to house”

kayaksteve

Anyone ever converted a portable storage shed to a house? I’m planning to buy and convert one for my dad to live in behind my house. Just curious if anyone has any experience I could learn from, particular brands, heating, cooling, insulation, anchoring? I’ve been looking into maybe a 16’X30’ or so and maybe building a covered porch off the side.

Core Lokt

My concern would be something that will hold up to bad weather the best. Steel is pretty strong and insulation is the second thing of my concern.

kayaksteve

Look at what people have done with shipping containers.
I’ve saw some cool designs online with storage containers and there’s actually a couple around here I’ve seen built. I’ve considered several different routes but pretty much landed on an upgraded shed because I have enough skills and equipment to do nearly all of the work myself(we’re on a fairly tight budget). It’d be a big jumpstart having it delivered, set up and anchored by a company and then jumping in myself for wiring, plumbing, insulating and finishing and such.

buckmanmike

My deer cabin is 16 x 26 with a 12 x 16 covered front porch and a 8 x 8 rear storage room. I could comfortably live there by myself. Wife, no way, but she loves going there for a week or so. If I was in your dad's position, being close to family would be utmost important.

kayaksteve

Also, not knowing where you live, be sure to check zoning regulations and septic/water requirements.
I’ve talked with the county building dept and pretty much have to go through the same process as a new construction house. I had to survey out a separate acre and am gonna try to get my soil test done soon. This is my first experience building so it’s been a learning curve for sure. I haven’t looked into water yet but I hope I can just tap into our existing well.

kayaksteve

Core Lokt

That’s a nice set up. Pretty similar to what we’re going for. Nothing fancy. Small kitchen, washer/dryer, bedroom, pantry, bathroom and maybe a closet.
Get the smaller stackable washer/dryer to save space. I have an older friend that has one for him and his special needs son that live in a small house. One bedroom, small living room and kitchen divided by waist high bar, one bathroom and a pantry where his stackable is along with food.

kayaksteve

I’ve still got to check on water because I’ve heard the county is not allowing new construction on bored wells anymore but, it’s looking like county water may be an option soon. I’m considering a mini split heating and cooling unit. An instant hot water heater. Over/under washer and dryer. I’ve drawn up some simple plans on graph paper for 14X30 and 16x30.

Jimmy morg

I would check into a fifth wheel camper. Everyone is going to those smaller campers and the price of used larger ones have went down. You will have less money in the camper and all your necessities are already in place.

Reactions: Mac

kayaksteve

I would check into a fifth wheel camper. Everyone is going to those smaller campers and the price of used larger ones have went down. You will have less money in the camper and all your necessities are already in place.
I considered that because it’s much easier dealing with the county on. Practically zero inspections or permitting for a camper. I was just concerned about longevity. My dads only 60 and hopefully has many many years left. This project will take a significant amount of his savings so I think a more permanent structure would be better and his mind is set on a small “cabin”.