And folks say you can't manage small tracts for older age bucks

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I guess the difference in my way of thinking is that I don't imagine that I own the deer that live on or pass through my land.

buckpasser

The funny and maybe sad thing is this. The guy up the road may view every deer on your wall as “up and comers”. He may have passed up each of them hoping for more time and more bone. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy you are achieving your goals, but everyone sees deer hunting and deer hunting success differently.

I killed a big mature 142 inch nine point this year and I’m now the bad guy in my neighborhood. Would he have gotten bigger? Maybe. Did I watch and pass him last year at about 6 inches difference in score? Yeah, but everyone wants what they want. Enjoy your success and congrats! I pass on more than I want to sometimes to be a team player, but at the end of the day I try to hunt and kill for the right reasons and not judge others as they do the same.

across the river

Well technically you can’t manage smaller tracts for older age bucks. All you can do is provide them the necessities for life and a refuge to escape to.
The only way small acreage works is if everyone around is doing the exact same thing. Yes big bucks will be killed, but they’re killed on WMA’s every year too. If your neighbors are brown it’s down type then it won’t matter what you do, because every two or three year old you pass, they will shoot.

I disagree with this. This notion that every deer is going to get shot by trigger happy neighbors is false. They will kill deer, and they may kill a bunch. But how many people do you talk to, or see on the forum, that have night pictures of deer in there corn pile that the never see or kill them? As you said, mature bucks come from WMA's every year. If you just want to be able to go and see deer every sit, then I would agree. However, if you are truly trying to target mature deer, then I think you absolutely can mange a small piece of land of that purpose.

If you give me 50 or 75 acres of great mature buck habitat, surrounded by a bunch of brown and down hunters on pine plantation land, then there is an extremely high probably that I know where the mature deer (or possibly multiple deer) of the area is at during the day. I have a much better chance of killing that deer on that 50 acres than I do on the 1000 acres of pine plantation club next door that people are riding four wheelers around constantly and shooting at every deer they get an opportunity at. They may get pictures of him on the corn pile at night, but I have a good idea of where he will be during the day. If there is a mature deer in the area, and I can control the habitat and pressure, then I have a great opportunity to kill that buck.

Now granted, if I had a 1000 plus acres to myself that I could completely control, then that would be one thing. But under normal circumstances, I had rather have 5 or 10 separate small tracts scattered around that I can create a mature buck sanctuary on any day of the week over a 500 acres of timber company club tract that I can't control. I have hunted large tracts, small tracts, and medium tracts, and typically even on large tracts there is often a certain smaller area that mature bucks like to be. If I can have a few of those spots to myself scattered around, then I think my chances of killing a mature buck are way better year to year than they are on most other places, even larger tracts.

The key though is making sure the small tract you have is differentiated, in a good way, from everyone else around you. If you have the best habitat with the least amount of pressure, even if it is only on 50 acres, you will have the most mature deer in the are on you piece of land the majority of the time. Are the neighbors going to kill some deer, sure. But can you consisitently kill the most mature deer in the area year to year on you well mange small tract of land, absolutely. I have seen it happen.

Mark K

Banned
Yes sir in the perfect world you just described it can be done. But I don’t live in a perfect world, lol. Seriously doubt your in a neighborhood environment that you will have the only hardwoods and cover. But if you do and your surrounded by these “pine plantations” then you’re not managing anything, you’re killing the plantations deer they manage.
I do know of several 300ac tracts the owners have all gotten together and came up with a management plan that works. Huge deer killed every year on all the land. But too say it just came off one individuals land or management practice is false. Unless they all decided upon a strategy, then maybe a buck every once in a while.
I’m happy for everyone’s success, but that buck can be one one camera on the 300ac and be shot the next day 1.5 miles away. I see it every year. So who managed the deer?

Triple C

The funny and maybe sad thing is this. The guy up the road may view every deer on your wall as “up and comers”. He may have passed up each of them hoping for more time and more bone. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy you are achieving your goals, but everyone sees deer hunting and deer hunting success differently.

I killed a big mature 142 inch nine point this year and I’m now the bad guy in my neighborhood. Would he have gotten bigger? Maybe. Did I watch and pass him last year at about 6 inches difference in score? Yeah, but everyone wants what they want. Enjoy your success and congrats! I pass on more than I want to sometimes to be a team player, but at the end of the day I try to hunt and kill for the right reasons and not judge others as they do the same.

buckpasser - You are spot on with that comment. Only one of the bucks we've killed was aged at 4.5. If my property was next to Jeff Foxworthy's place or one of the big plantations in SW GA, I'd be taking nothing but up-n-comers that the neighbors would all be passing up.

BeerThirty

Couldn't agree more with the OP that it all starts with the individual and trigger control. Correct, that is not total herd management, but until you put up a 12-ft fence around your property, ain't nobody gonna have total control over their herd.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
You are spot on Trip. I have even less acreage than that and it's divided between two separate tracts but I do intensive habitat management and it pays off. It doesn't matter what your neighbors do. Make your habitat appealing to the does, lay off of them and the bucks will come.

ShortMagFan

Triple C - my experience has been similar to yours.

I bought 350 acres in the piedmont of South Carolina in late 2011. Have put a lot of time and money into habitat and food plots and have exercised some trigger control.

My son killed his first deer there a few years ago and now at age 13 has killed enough deer that he is on board with our desire not to shoot a buck younger than 4.5.

Fortunately we’ve generally got like minded neighbors.

Now we are fortunate enough to take 1-3 bucks/year that are 4.5+. This past year we really hit the does hard for the first time as it seemed there were too many

I know of at least 3 different bucks that were 3.5 last year that made it thru the season and untold number of 2.5 year old bucks with good potential

Owning the property gives us the ability to invest in equipment, stands, food plots, burning, etc that you probably wouldn’t or couldn’t do on leased land. We try to keep pressure low, hunt stands based on wind, etc.

We do run 6 big feeders year round except for turkey season. I started the feeders with the goal of each feeder keeping a family group of does around and it’s worked better than I expected. The feeders are large enough that I fill them in September and then don’t have to touch them again until January. So we aren’t disturbing the area by constantly refilling them with corn (we do slip in periodically to check cameras on the feeders)

There are constant battles - beaver issues, an alarming increase in coyote pictures this most recent winter/spring, occasional pictures of people that shouldn’t be there (though no blatant poaching yet), pear trees that don’t produce due to late Frost’s, etc but that’s all part of it.

Maintenance can be a challenge during busy times away from the farm. I have 2 teenage kids and a demanding job but fortunately also have someone that has been a godsend to help show me the ropes, help with maintenance, etc. we have a nice pond with great fishing but don’t use it much. I’m only half joking when I tell people the farm is basically 7 months of maintenance for 5 months of hunting

Sorry this turned into such a long post. My point was simply to say Triple C is right

oppthepop

Just my 2 cents - we have two farms. One is 243 acres and one is 109 acres. We have 6.5 year old bucks on both that we know well. they have literally grown up on the property and stay there. Hopes are one will line up with my bow this fall. IMHO is that you CAN grow, keep, and maintain quality bucks on small tracts BUT you have to invest. Supplemental feed, quality year-round food plots, bedding areas from hinge cutting, and passing up the 3.5 and even 4.5 year old deer will yield mature animals. YES, the neighbors will get some, but they won;t get them all. Hopefully, with effort, you can get your surrounding neighbors on board to do the same.

Rich Kaminski

What also helps is to have a sanctuary area in the center of the property that nobody is allowed to hunt. It provides a safe place for the deer to go when pressured and keeps them on your land.

rstallings1979

Triple C - my experience has been similar to yours.

I bought 350 acres in the piedmont of South Carolina in late 2011. Have put a lot of time and money into habitat and food plots and have exercised some trigger control.

My son killed his first deer there a few years ago and now at age 13 has killed enough deer that he is on board with our desire not to shoot a buck younger than 4.5.

Fortunately we’ve generally got like minded neighbors.

Now we are fortunate enough to take 1-3 bucks/year that are 4.5+. This past year we really hit the does hard for the first time as it seemed there were too many

I know of at least 3 different bucks that were 3.5 last year that made it thru the season and untold number of 2.5 year old bucks with good potential

Owning the property gives us the ability to invest in equipment, stands, food plots, burning, etc that you probably wouldn’t or couldn’t do on leased land. We try to keep pressure low, hunt stands based on wind, etc.

We do run 6 big feeders year round except for turkey season. I started the feeders with the goal of each feeder keeping a family group of does around and it’s worked better than I expected. The feeders are large enough that I fill them in September and then don’t have to touch them again until January. So we aren’t disturbing the area by constantly refilling them with corn (we do slip in periodically to check cameras on the feeders)

There are constant battles - beaver issues, an alarming increase in coyote pictures this most recent winter/spring, occasional pictures of people that shouldn’t be there (though no blatant poaching yet), pear trees that don’t produce due to late Frost’s, etc but that’s all part of it.

Maintenance can be a challenge during busy times away from the farm. I have 2 teenage kids and a demanding job but fortunately also have someone that has been a godsend to help show me the ropes, help with maintenance, etc. we have a nice pond with great fishing but don’t use it much. I’m only half joking when I tell people the farm is basically 7 months of maintenance for 5 months of hunting

Sorry this turned into such a long post. My point was simply to say Triple C is right
I saw your note about coyotes....we had a serious issue with coyote pics nearly every day two years ago. I called in a trapper (and I mean a real trapper) and he caught 5 in a matter of 2 weeks on our 550 acres. 4 big males and a female. We occasionally get one here or there but if your getting coyote pictures left and right you likely have a large pack in the area disturbing the turkey and deer. If they are sticking around that means they are killing something that is keeping them fed. I would see if South Carolina has a trapper association facebook page like Georgia does. I did find a South Carolina Predators Hunters Association operated out of Florence. That may be a starting point. Just send them a private message and tell them you are looking for a trapper near wherever you live/hunt.

These guys are likely good trappers that are members. They take part in contests etc to test their abilities to trap. Some may charge and some may not depending on the demand for a coyote and how far your farm may be away from where they are located. You may be able to also set up a wireless camera in front of their traps and just let them know when they catch one to keep the trapper from having to check the trap daily. I would definitely consider it if you think you have a coyote problem. I was super impressed with the trapper I found on the facebook page here in Georgia. He responded and he was a dang professional if there is such a thing in the trapping world. He was meticulous... I remember walking up to look at his traps and he made sure I didn't get too close to move scent. I thought about trying to trap myself but I am glad I was able to connect with him now. I am sure he did a much better job than I would have done myself.

Triple C

Encouraging comments from more folks than I expected that are experiencing similar results as we are. Managing habitat is rewarding and delivers as much enjoyment as hunting. Trigger control on young bucks is the icing on the cake if you enjoy seeing mature bucks.

ShortMagFan

Yeah the coyotes are an issue.

My land is close to a turkey farmer who has a pit where dead turkey carcasses go so there is a constant food supply for the coyotes.

It was an issue for fawn recruitment for a while. Then the farmer started dumping carcasses in a big trash dumpster that a dog food company would come pick up periodically and that seemed to knocmck the coyote population down a little for a couple years.

But the trash dumpster is gone and the coyotes are back. Despite tons of coyote pictures I only shot a very few in my first few years of owning the place. Then I shot 3 last fall while deer hunting.

Had a picture last week of a pack of five coyotes during daylight.

In the past I haven’t trapped as my decision was the benefit did not outweigh the risks I perceived of having someone I don’t really know on my land and the daily pressure that goes along with checking a trap line.

I may have to revisit that

rstallings1979

You can do it. You gotta dream it first! Took me a long time and only could make it happen after I'd been an empty nester for a few years.
Yeah...the constant "my lease is increasing again" posts lately make me even more thankful I own property to hunt on.

Nearly every night I read a book to my kids called "Grandpas Tractor" and the book is of course about a tractor that is old and rusted that still sits at the Grandpa's old farm where he grew up. The farm was sold long ago and now its developed with houses and the grandpa carries his grandson to see the old tractor that is rusted up etc. Needless to say every night I read it I make my 5 year promise me that he nor his brother will ever sell the land when we are gone.

Only way to grow them up is to keep the cover and the food and the does on your land. If they leave for any one of those three in Georgia, they will most likely die from a lack of blood to the brain.