Anti-Hunting Groups Urging Gov. Deal to Cancel the Georgia Coyote Challenge - June 2018

BornToHuntAndFish

Similar to last year, anti-hunters who do not understand wild game management are attempting to stop the Georgia Coyote Challenge again. Same liberal Berry College assoc. prof. with his Atlanta Coyote project is bringing in anti-hunter reinforcements attempting to stir up more trouble. On Tuesday, I saw a local metro Atlanta TV news report about this topic, but could only find this news item about it below.

https://www.ajc.com/entertainment/a...-additional-criticism/Nvrm4MIgfw9FCqjz37sZVI/

20 hours ago

On Tuesday a coalition of more than 25 wildlife and animal protection organizations, including the Humane Society of the United States, delivered letters urging Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal to cancel the “Georgia Coyote Challenge.”

Christopher Mowry, associate professor of biology at Berry College and director of the Atlanta Coyote Project, said
“Wildlife killing contests are antithetical to responsible hunting ethics.”

John Bowers, chief of game management for Georgia Wildlife Resources Division of Georgia Department of Natural Resources, said population control is not the point of the Coyote Challenge.

“The purpose is to complement and highlight the existing lethal removal of coyotes by hunters and trappers,” he said. “They can do that year round.”

Bowers said coyote removal is a part of game management. “If I’m managing my property for wildlife, for deer or turkeys, and I’ve got an abundance of coyote on my property then those coyote need to be managed too. This is the time period. March though August is the best time period to lethally remove coyotes.”

AND

https://georgiawildlife.com/hunting/resources/CoyoteChallenge

Georgia Coyote Challenge

• Program period runs from March 1–August 31, 2018.

logo.png

:smash:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Christopher Mowry is a tree hugging liberal moron. His myrmidons are on Nextdoor and it's all I can do to debunk the horse manure they post on there. City people have no clue what's going on around them and they will believe anything that sounds "official".

HuntinDawg89

Well since Deal is not running for re-election I tend to doubt they can sway him. If he doesn't already think it is wrong, what motivation does he have to pacify anyone?

HuntinDawg89

Christopher Mowry is a tree hugging liberal moron. His myrmidons are on Nextdoor and it's all I can do to debunk the horse manure they post on there. City people have no clue what's going on around them and they will believe anything that sounds "official".

Lots of clueless people on Nextdoor around me too, but I never get any pushback on coyotes. It usually goes like this: Somebody posts that they saw a coyote and they want their neighbors to know that "there is one in the area" so they can be on the lookout. I explain that there isn't one in the area, there are a ton in the area...that there has been a breeding population in every county in the state for over 20 years. I tell them that they are varmints and legal to kill by any method except poison 24/7/365 and encourage them to do so but caution them about the legalities of discharging a firearm in a subdivision, near a house or road, etc. I tell them I kill them every chance I get and have seen them singly and in packs. I tell them that unless rabid they don't need to be worried about them attacking humans but they do need to worry about their pets, especially cats and smaller dogs. I tell them they are an invasive species that has the same legal status as a rat. I never get any pushback on the idea of killing them.

I did get crucified for suggesting that not everyone who keeps a dog outside in winter is a cruel lowlife and posting links to some outstanding commercial dog houses that will keep your dog warm in any weather Georgia (or pretty much any state in the lower 48) ever has to offer (while explaining that my dogs sleep inside). I was called everything but a wheelbarrow for that one. Idiots.

PappyHoel

Go ahead cancel it. I’m still blasting every single one I see.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Lots of clueless people on Nextdoor around me too, but I never get any pushback on coyotes. It usually goes like this: Somebody posts that they saw a coyote and they want their neighbors to know that "there is one in the area" so they can be on the lookout. I explain that there isn't one in the area, there are a ton in the area...that there has been a breeding population in every county in the state for over 20 years. I tell them that they are varmints and legal to kill by any method except poison 24/7/365 and encourage them to do so but caution them about the legalities of discharging a firearm in a subdivision, near a house or road, etc. I tell them I kill them every chance I get and have seen them singly and in packs. I tell them that unless rabid they don't need to be worried about them attacking humans but they do need to worry about their pets, especially cats and smaller dogs. I tell them they are an invasive species that has the same legal status as a rat. I never get any pushback on the idea of killing them.

I did get crucified for suggesting that not everyone who keeps a dog outside in winter is a cruel lowlife and posting links to some outstanding commercial dog houses that will keep your dog warm in any weather Georgia (or pretty much any state in the lower 48) ever has to offer (while explaining that my dogs sleep inside). I was called everything but a wheelbarrow for that one. Idiots.

Yeah the "you have to bring your dog inside if it's below 40 degrees or it's animal cruelty " crusaders really are clueless.

georgia_home

the greeners have had success in a number of left coast states, and they are actively moving east with their efforts.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

I'm in the ATL so I got lot's of Metro Jethro's who post links to the ATL Coyote Project all the time and give you the tree hugger routine. Then the people who have had their pets killed by coyotes chime in with the "Kill 'em all". Next up is me with a few facts and links to kill the thread. Two weeks later it starts all over again.

westcobbdog

Agree and would add yotes do occasionally attack people and a guy hiking in Ga a few weeks ag was attacked by a yote who lit his leg up pretty good.

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
If Elfiii was the governor He would add a $250,000 jackpot drawing at the end of the contest. One entry per coyote killed and entered

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Yeah the "you have to bring your dog inside if it's below 40 degrees or it's animal cruelty " crusaders really are clueless.

Their heads must explode at the mushing dogs on the Yukon Men or Life Below Zero tv shows. I think this is really just a tiny minority, I would have never imagined seeing trapping featured in so many of these reality shows 15 years ago.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Their heads must explode at the mushing dogs on the Yukon Men or Life Below Zero tv shows. I think this is really just a tiny minority, I would have never imagined seeing trapping featured in so many of these reality shows 15 years ago.

I agree. On all counts.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
If Elfiii was the governor He would add a $250,000 jackpot drawing at the end of the contest. One entry per coyote killed and entered

At least $250K. $500K if I could get the G.A. to appropriate the money. It's for the children don't you know.:bounce:

MCBUCK

I will kill every one I see and have done so since 1997. ANd I will use the firs weapon I can find to do it too....I have used an 06, .270, 30-30. AR, 17hmr, and even a 22LR. And I will have ZERO apologies to anyone about it and will tell them they can make NO judgement to me about coyotes until they have lived on a farm or in the country and lost a pet or produce to them.