Any slug hunters/ shooters ?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Done a lot of back searching and everything seems kinda old . I’ve never shot a slug and plan on hunting with a slug gun this coming season . 870 12 ga with rifled barrel . Any suggestions on ammo that may save me a few bucks ,and kill a few bucks !

georgia_home

Born and raised shotgun only

for rifled barrel, use to be the copper solid Remington sabot and for full diameter brenneke gold

i not sure of Remington offerings now, but the solids worked because they were sabot rounds. Sabots are designed to shoot from rifled barrels. I think they may still have them but changed name.

the Brenneke gold was also designed to shoot from fields barrel. They did change the name a while back.. goto their site and look for full diameter. Maybe it’s now ?magnum crush… Something like that. they have a plastic cup on the back of the slug that seals better and helps impart spin … I’ll take a look

haven’t had restock in years since losing two places to slug hunt.

neither were really cheap at the time. A lower brand sabot may work the less expensive aspect. a place like bass pro in early September, when their selection is full could be a good place to look up close.

brenneke faq about slugs for rifled barrels. But check the models. again, a name change occurred a while ago

Last edited:

georgia_home

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Yes. Good old Foster type slugs. They should shoot well in that 870, don't let anybody tell you that you can't shoot rifles slugs in a rifled barrel.

It just ain't so.

Expect good accuracy at 50, and "might be" accuracy at 100.

An ounce of lead at +/- 70 caliber will flatten deer and pigs with authority.

I had a 20 gauge 870 slug gun with a 18" rifled barrel, and a fixed 2.5 Leupold. It was a keeper that I wish I hadn't traded...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Winchester 1300 with a slug barrel, and it likes the Lightfield sabots. Hammer of Thor.

earlthegoat2

Expect foster slugs to lead up a rifled barrel with the quickness but yes, they will shoot well out of it.

I grew up in a shotgun only area in the Midwest. I had an 870 12 ga with rifled barrel and dropped many deer with the old Lightfield Hybrids sabots. They are long out of production I’m afraid.

Mire recently I have taken to Federal Premium Troomy Copper in 20 ga. I bought a bunch when they were $10/box but now they are much more. They expand beautifully and are .510 diameter as opposed to the .451 they typically are in 20 ga.

I would say try the Federal Power Shok cheapy sabots first. They will probably shoot well and they are just a chunk of lead just like those old Lightfields I mentioned earlier. Seems like they are around $10 a bix at Wally’s when you can find them.

A lot of folks like the Hornady SSTs. My dad uses them in his 20 ga. They work but he says the Lightfields were better.

Here is my current slug shooter. I managed to steal it off GB for $187 shipped and transferred. Not surprising I suppose. I can’t imagine left handed bolt action shotguns have much of a following.

IMG_2669.jpeg

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I shoot Hornady SST and Remington accutip out of my CVA. They both shoot well, but the Hornady might be a touch better on the pattern, not enough to matter on a deer. Also one or the other is purdy easily obtained. Mine is a 20 gauge. I have buddies that shoot them out of 12 gauge, including one who is using an 870. They have patterned well in their guns as well.

antharper

Staff member
Thanks everyone ! Do y’all use 2 3/4 in ? Been doing a little looking and midway seems to have a good selection at good prices . But most of what I’m seeing is 2 3/4 in

georgia_home

Smooth bore I use 2.3/4… slugger or brenneke KO

when shooting these, for rifled barrel, I usually used 3” … one of the benefits of being a big boy, I absorb recoil well. one of the times being beefy comes in handy

Hillbilly stalker

My buddy hunts hogs with a Benelli. He uses the Hornady SST's. In ten years he's never recovered a projectile, and he's killed a dumptruck load of them. I was with him one day when he shot a red hog across a slew. When we got around the water, we found 2 hogs dead, both around 130-150 lbs. Slug went thru both of them. They are 2 3/4 inch rounds, but their hot and pack a punch. They used to be one of the cheaper slugs you could buy. I haven't bought any in several years. They were accurate in my 870.

earlthegoat2

I have only ever used 2 3/4. There just isn’t enough difference to make a difference with 3” whether it was with 12 or 20.

Now the old H&R Hastings 3 1/2” 20 ga was really something though. Those slugs were branded Hastings but were Lightfields and basically had 450 Bushmaster ballistics.

The guns are hard to find and the ammo was never common and is long out of production. Hastings is no longer the company it once was if it even exists anymore. I heard they went under.

georgia_home

one other thing to consider is that shot guns and slug parings have personalities. sometimes, just trying different loads is a good thing.

finding a load or two your gun likes is a good move.

antharper

Staff member
Just curious, why a slug out of a shotgun instead of using a muzzle loader?
Good question ! I have a good shooting muzzle loader and have been thinking of a slug gun For a few years . The public land I hunt I can use either just no rifle.
I guess the reason would be I’m just tired of cleaning , loading, unloading and one shot . The slug gun just seems more appealing to me . I guess I’ll find out. Never can have to many guns anyway

IIICrkRepr

I have the H&R Ultraslug in 12ga, I have used 6 or 7 different slugs for it and the Hornady SST 2 3/4 shot the best, most consistently. Its easily a 100yd gun. With a scope and that bull barrel, feels like it weighs 12 lbs.