Any Walleye tips

Josh B

Went to Rabun today. Caught 2 bass,2 perch and a crappie but no walleye. We tried down rods with herring and night crawlers and tried trolling big crank baits. This was my 1st trip but my friends 4th bust. He's on a mission to catch one.

little rascal

Fish deep in daytime, shallow at night.
They catch a lot a small walleye at Carters near the dam, mostly bass fisherman with shad raps at night beating the rip rap.

bigewalksalone

Yea that's my mission as well to catch one..
Got some pics I took at Russell of some kind of fish. Tell me if these are Walleye?

Attachments

• 20180926_182450.jpg
    20180926_182450.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 92
  • 20180926_182501.jpg
    20180926_182501.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 83

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I ain't been walleye fishing in a coon's age, but here is how we use to do it on Burton.

We would take a 6# line, put a 1/4 or 1/8 oz slip sinker on the line and tie that #6 hook on it. Then we would crimp a really small split shot sinker about a foot up from the hook to keep the slip sinker from getting any closer than that to the hook. You want to make sure the slip sinker stays away from your bait. On occasion, I would use 4# test. Those rascals don't like to feel any resistance, or they will drop the bait.

Then we would take a night crawler, and hook it one time in the middle of the worm, so that it would trail back away from the hook like a U shape. We would work the creeks and under dock and up against any structure. Cast the worm up and just snug up your line, pointing your rod at the bait. Then slowly lift your rod to bring the bait toward you. As you lower your rod, reel up the slack.

When you feel a tap, lower your rod real quick and open up the bail. Allow that fish to run with the bait for at least 10 or 12 ft. You gotta let them get that bait behind all those teeth. Then set the hook.

The only other way I have caught them is with crankbaits fished deep right as twilight. But I would imagine a 5 or 6 inch spring lizard would do the trick too.

Walleye is some of the best eating you ever had.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
walleye skull

default.jpg

bigewalksalone

No offense!! I’ve caught musky, northern pike, pickerel, walleye. Never seen heavy top dentures or centered bottom tooth like that on a freshwater fish. Have seen it in ‘cud’s only. Might be an undocumented Pisces though.
58 years in Ga. and that's the strangest fish I ever saw , except for a alligator gar I think..

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
58 years in Ga. and that's the strangest fish I ever saw , except for a alligator gar I think..
I'm with Y'all, not disputing where he took the pix, BUT that tooth formation is "strange" to say the least. I THOUGHT I'd caught just about every type fresh water fish here (between 3" and 6'), ain't never seen that before. Weird.

bigewalksalone

I'd just have to cut the line on one of them things... He might take a finger off.
I see the warden sometimes up at the ramp , next time I'll ask him what the pictures are.

Coenen

That skull is a 'Cuda. Someone up at Russell has a good sense of humor.

Cmp1

BANNED
I ain't been walleye fishing in a coon's age, but here is how we use to do it on Burton.

We would take a 6# line, put a 1/4 or 1/8 oz slip sinker on the line and tie that #6 hook on it. Then we would crimp a really small split shot sinker about a foot up from the hook to keep the slip sinker from getting any closer than that to the hook. You want to make sure the slip sinker stays away from your bait. On occasion, I would use 4# test. Those rascals don't like to feel any resistance, or they will drop the bait.

Then we would take a night crawler, and hook it one time in the middle of the worm, so that it would trail back away from the hook like a U shape. We would work the creeks and under dock and up against any structure. Cast the worm up and just snug up your line, pointing your rod at the bait. Then slowly lift your rod to bring the bait toward you. As you lower your rod, reel up the slack.

When you feel a tap, lower your rod real quick and open up the bail. Allow that fish to run with the bait for at least 10 or 12 ft. You gotta let them get that bait behind all those teeth. Then set the hook.

The only other way I have caught them is with crankbaits fished deep right as twilight. But I would imagine a 5 or 6 inch spring lizard would do the trick too.

Walleye is some of the best eating you ever had.
Definitely the best tasting freshwater fish,,,,

Cmp1

BANNED
You could come up and ice fish for em,,,,no plenty of spots,,,,I personally don't go after them,,,,bass and Northerns for me,but the folks ice fishing for them up here are definitely hardy in this weather,,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yea that's my mission as well to catch one..
Got some pics I took at Russell of some kind of fish. Tell me if these are Walleye?
That isn't anything that lives in Lake Russell. I don't know how it got there, but it wasn't by swimming.

little rascal

Unless its a Muskie or Northern Pike skull it looks like a Cuda.
They sell Barracuda at the Markets down here seen some the other day and about a month ago.

Coenen

They sell Barracuda at the Markets down here seen some the other day and about a month ago.
Aren't they supposed to be pretty oily? Maybe someone used him for catfish bait, or just wanted to cause a stir.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Not a musky. They live around here and I've seen quite a few of them.

Aren't they supposed to be pretty oily? Maybe someone used him for catfish bait, or just wanted to cause a stir.

A lot of Asian immigrants love to eat fish like that.