Anybody else hate this word?

E

Etter1

HARVESTED. I don't mean to elmoelmoelmoelmo anybody off cuz I know a lot of people on here use that term but I can't stand it. It's so PC minded....as if shooting an animal were as easy as picking an ear of corn or something. I call it what it is....killing. Again, don't want to start a huge thread with 1000 views or anything, just wanted to know others' opinions.

GeauxLSU

Doesn't bother me. I 'kill' roaches, rats, coyotes, etc...
I do think 'killing' a deer is more like 'harvesting' in that it's going to get used/consumed by me. Just like that ear of corn.
Now that you bring it up. I normally say "I killed one" to people that hunt but I think I say "I got one" to people that do not.
I like when non hunters always ask me "Did you catch one?" :bounce:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Dean

I don't hate it

and do use it, especially when I talk to non-hunters. I think that "harvest" (according to Merriam - Webster dictionary can be defined as: the quantity of a natural product gathered in a single season <deer harvest>) is an appopraite word choice for those that strickly take game under QDM or Trophy Mang. guidelines. Yes, it is killing but if killing can be defined as terminating the life growth or progression of a natural product then technically when you pick corn you are killing too ::ke:

E

Etter1

Girls always ask me if I "caught" anything. One even went as far as to ask if the bear was still alive in my avatar picture. :D

GeauxLSU

Etter1 said:
Girls always ask me if I "caught" anything. One even went as far as to ask if the bear was still alive in my avatar picture. :D
I know exactly what you're talking about. It's AMAZING the misconception of some non-hunters. Hopefully we are setting good examples.... ::;
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

GeauxLSU

Bowbender said:
I get asked that alot to. I just say nope they run to fast to catch. :D
Bender
Bender,
No they don't you just run too slow! ::ke: :whip: :bounce: That's generally how I respond about my lack of success anyway. ;)
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

matthewsman

kiled 'em all

I have never grown or cultivated fertilized or planted deer,therefore I don't feel I have harvested one.....My brother and I were going in Waffle house in hunting clothes about 3:45 one morning.Two drunk girls dressed to the nines but looking like "6''s were coming out.One of them challenged us"I don't know why y'all feel it necessary to go kill those poor deer."I, being sensitive to pubicly drunken women challenging my actions and moral character,responded"because Harp seal season ain't open".Needless to say,they couldn't take a joke........I also enjoy getting the comment,"how do you kill those little Bambi's?"I always tell them"it's easy just aim for one of the spots near his shoulder"............. :shoot: :confused: :rolleyes:

cowboyron

I myself use the word kill but on occassions have used the harvest word. I to like it when they ask if you have caught one. The last time I was asked that I replied.......Yeah I caught a couple but I let them go.......I'm a catch and release hunter you know.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I have used" Harvested " and don't have a problem with the word. I have used the word " Killed " more often though.

Ga-Spur

On the bear you killed how much meat did you eat? Does it really taste like "coon" ?

cowboyron

I don't know what his bear meat was like but the bear meat that I ate was really good. It is a sweet tasting meat. If coon taste like the meat I ate then I'm going to get me some coon hounds.

E

Etter1

I've killed 4 and they all tasted great. The loins are incredibly good but on older bears the rest can be quite gamey so I usually get the whole thing made into sausage, bologna, and jerkey. I've made steaks and roasts with the younger ones and they tasted similar to deer. I've never tasted coon before so I don't know about that.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
yep, use it all the time...............

to me, deer are a resource, just like timber......................I also use killed, smoked, whacked, hammered, and thumped. :)

H

HT2

Etter.....

Etter1 said:
HARVESTED. I don't mean to elmoelmoelmoelmo anybody off cuz I know a lot of people on here use that term but I can't stand it. It's so PC minded....as if shooting an animal were as easy as picking an ear of corn or something. I call it what it is....killing. Again, don't want to start a huge thread with 1000 views or anything, just wanted to know others' opinions.

I'm with ya brother!!!!!!!!!!!

It's all about political correctness!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I hate that too!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

Duff

I know where your coming from w/this. That is one of the little reasons I like it here by Woody's fire. I can say(type) kill and no one gets offended :clap:

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
bear meat ROCKS!!...........

and, thanks to Etter bein' nice enough to bring me some, I've got a little in the freezer!........coon is also good, when properly prepared. :clap: