Anybody have to deal with a Local Income Tax?

Skipper

Banned
Occupational tax, whatever they want to call it.

Our county and city started one this year in July. They actually had the final reading of the ordinance in Mid July, but retroactivated the tax to the 1st.

The tax for an employee is 1% of gross, no deductions etc.

I'm not anybody's employee. Officially, I'm an independent contractor or self employed. What the tax means for me is a Gross Profits tax. If I had any employees, the county would have gotten to me much sooner to send them money, but I have no employees, and frankly, they probably don't know I exist as self employed. They probably think I'm an employee of someone.

Since I am self employed, I am supposed to send them my 1040 and schedule C. The tax kind of chaps my hide to start with, but sending a 1040 and schedule C to those idiots at the courthouse to look through isn't something I'm the least bit thrilled about. I am seriously contemplating sending them an index card or letter one telling them how much I'm paying tax on along with my check and see what happens after that. If I am forced to send a schedule C, I believe I'll probably black out all of it except the bottom line.

Any tax law experts around here?

Skipper