Anyone do an Iguana shoot in FL?

Toliver

I’ve watched some YouTube videos of it and it does look fun
I've watched several videos of different people doing it. Looks like an absolute blast. My favorite videos are the ones with the dogs that go after them after the shot. If they ain't dead when the dog gets to them he finishes the job with great enthusiasm.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I've done it. Feels really weird putting around canals and shooting them out of trees in people's yards. It seems like the equivalent of walking around a city shooting squirrels! It was certainly a unique experience, but I have no desire to do it again. They taste pretty good though but are a pain to clean.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
One of my dream trips is taking the boat down to the ida lakes to catch peacock bass and use a fishing blowgun on iguanas around the bank and for the exotic cichlids in the lake.
I don't know how well that blowgun would do on iguanas, they're pretty tough.

Robust Redhorse

I'm pretty sure a blowgun on an iguana will be at least as bad as the experience I have had with two critters I've hit with one in GA.

Don't expect to recover it anytime soon...

Toliver

Thats brilliant, didn’t even think about that! I need you to help plan my sporting excursions.
Lol! I want to throw python hunting in there, too. South Florida offers many off the beaten path type hunting opportunities. And who knows, might even get some good videos of Florida Man doing Florida things.

bullgator

They’re all over Broward County. Fifteen or more years ago I was at a cousins house in Fort Lauderdale. They lived on the inter coastal waterway and those things ere all over the seawalls, docks, boats, and back yards of just about every house. They are inland all the way to the ‘Glades.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Tim wells has a video on YouTube of him and his daughter zapping them with the bowfishing blow gun he sells. They reel them in and finish them off with a fish bat.
That sounds like it would work then. I just remember it taking a real expert head shot with a 25 cal. air rifle or they were gone. The retrieval line is key because it takes something more substantial to kill them. I lost nearly every one that fell in the water, they sink and you won't find them without a line attached.