Are there any farmer's markets to buy in "bulk"?

LovinOutside

Is there any place down in south Georgia that has a larger farmer's market where you can buy big boxes of things like tomatoes? Used to, a long time ago, you could go to the one outside of Atlanta, but the last time I went there it wasn't any good. I don't mean markets like in towns. They're nice and all but not what I'm looking for. Maybe "wholesale" is a better term? idk. Maybe someone will know what I mean. I wanted to buy boxes of tomatoes for cheaper, or stuff like that. Thanks.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Great question. Most small towns used to have farmer/gardeners who would bring a truck load of stuff to town to sell, beans, squash, tomatos, potatos, greens, etc. The trick is finding these guys in your area and get his phone number. I don't have a contact but other folks on here probably do.

If we get a good response here we could make this a sticky.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Cordele farmers market is not what it used to be. You can also try Calhoun’s produce its on the Crisp, Turner county line.
Hauslers vegetable patch in Arabi is a pick your own, good prices you’ll just have to time it right.
Calhoun’s usually sets up at Cordele farmers market during the summer, mostly to sell peas and butter beans. They’re also well known For strawberries.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Not a farmer`s market, but Etheridge Farms in Calhoun County has corn, okra, various peas, both kinds of butterbeans, watermelons. Both shelled and unshelled peas and butterbeans.

Boondocks

We got some peas from Etheridge today.Support your local farmer.There is a farmers market in Thomasville.Was one in Pellam and Cairo years ago,don't know if they still open.I buy wholesale from local growers in truckloads.Quincy,Fl. is where tomatoes are now.

crackerdave

Fitzgerald Fruit Farms has good local grown fruit and vegetables $1.50 pound.
Also the home of Warm Springs Winery.

Near Woodbury,Georgia.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Sandersville farmers market on Saturdays in downtown Sandersville on the square, also one in Dublin.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
I really enjoyed selling my homegrown from my truck.You meet some good people and make a little side money,too.

I can assure you come out cheaper buying than growing . . wife wanted a raised bed, bought 3, 2x12x16' treated boards, almost $300, bout $200 worth of good gardening soil, made 4 cherry tomatoes so far . . .:oops::LOL: happy wife, happy life . . . blahblahblah

crackerdave

I used to grow on a fairly large scale,to where I had way more than we could eat and share.
Cindy would can cases upon cases of our homegrown fruits and vegetables and we'd make the rounds at festivals and fairs.Paid the property taxes plus a little more,but it was hard work.
Met a lot of good folks who are still friends today.

LovinOutside

I can assure you come out cheaper buying than growing . . wife wanted a raised bed, bought 3, 2x12x16' treated boards, almost $300, bout $200 worth of good gardening soil, made 4 cherry tomatoes so far . . .:oops::LOL: happy wife, happy life . . . blahblahblah

I grow my own stuff. People (not saying anyone here) really don't understand how much land it takes to get enough food. I thought I had a lot of peas planted once. It wasn't. You need a lot.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word

But the wood and soil will be used multiple years.