Arrowheads

huntin1

I've been admiring the arrowheads and other artifacts that some of you have posted. I have a small collection too and whenever the wife and I are in the country I spend at least a little while looking for more.

Here are the best of what I've found so far.

Arrowhead-5.jpg

Individually,

I'm not sure about this one, looks too perfect to me, but was found in a field known to have been used by the Sioux.

Arrowhead-1.jpg

Found in the same area,

Arrowhead-2.jpg

Found about 50 miles north of the first two,

Arrowhead-3.jpg

Not sure what this is, but it's been worked. Found it in western ND.

Arrowhead-4.jpg

huntin1

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I`m not familiar with the point types ya`ll have up there, but I know exactly what that root beer colored stone is! That is Knife River Chert, and it was a favored material used by the Paleo People. It is only found in your area too. I`ve been lucky enough to get my hands on a few pieces of it. Mighty nice points. Thanks for postin` em.

huntin1

Thanks Nic, that piece was found in western ND, near the Knife river. The rest were found near Jamestown.

We just call that dark colored stuff flint, I've got a whole box of it ranging from fingernail size up to a bit larger than a grapefruit. Some of the other pieces look like they could have been worked and some just look like a stone.

huntin1

91silvers

The first one looks like what we call a big sandy, the base should be ground smooth. Nice find! Its associated with the late paleo - early archaic time period.

Nugefan

That is Knife River Chert, and it was a favored material used by the Paleo People. It is only found in your area too. .

I thought the rootbeer color look familiar ..

nice finds.......:cool:

chuckb7718

Very nice points! That first one is beautiful!!:cool:
I would like to improve my collection, but arrowheads are like deer sheds for me. Seems the only way I ever see them is when I trip and they poke me in the rump!:banginghe

dogrunnerk

nice finds, looking for them is all i seem to do when i get in the woods, if i see bare ground my eyes are on it.