at&t dsl service

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I have had dsl service at my current house since I moved in. I recently went under contract on a new home and I am closing in a couple weeks. When I was looking at the house the at&t guys just happen to be in the front yard working. I talked with them and they told me dsl service was available there. I call today to schedule the transfer and was told only dial up is available. Apperently in the last two weeks they "capped" off the dsl there, I spent over an hour on the phone and talked to 8 different people. The last person said she put in a request to open up a port for me. There are no other high speed internet options in the area, and this is very important as I work from home several hours every day. Does anyone know anything about this request, is it just a way to shut me up for a while, or do they usally approve this. Does anyone have any kind of advice for this issue.

Showman

Nuthing but Dial-Up down here also. ATT said 3 years ago that I would have DSL within a couple months. Guess what? I'm still waiting. Good luck and if all else fails, go with Hughes Net.

rjcruiser

What about uVerse? Try to bundle and they might let you get it.

Other than that, wireless card is the way to go.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Uverse isn't available, I told them I would do any high speed they have. I was told only dial up is available.

awstapp

DSL Caps

Unfortunately - the cap is there for a reason. At&t has stopped all expansion and upgrades to their DSLAM network (dsl facilities). They have also done the same thing for the Uverse service as well. I could get all technical as to why the cap's there- but it wouldnt do any good.

Here's a link about what AT&t is interested in spending there money on: http://stopthecap.com/2011/07/21/att-ceo-dsl-is-obsolete

My only advice would be to keep trying. If someone that is working in that dslam goes to uverse, that will free up another port. Sorry- hope that helps.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Unfortunately - the cap is there for a reason. At&t has stopped all expansion and upgrades to their DSLAM network (dsl facilities). They have also done the same thing for the Uverse service as well. I could get all technical as to why the cap's there- but it wouldnt do any good.

Here's a link about what AT&t is interested in spending there money on: http://stopthecap.com/2011/07/21/att-ceo-dsl-is-obsolete

My only advice would be to keep trying. If someone that is working in that dslam goes to uverse, that will free up another port. Sorry- hope that helps.

Thanks man, I really hope I have luck as this is the only option, there is not cable provder or anything else n the area. This is the downside for living in sem rural area. The most aggrevatng ths is that the house beside mine has it and the at&t box is in my yard.

georgia_home

Well...

Be very friendly!

Offer to pay their dsl bill for the ride, trench a cat 5 cable. Distance permitting. Or similar.

Good luck to ya.

Thanks man, I really hope I have luck as this is the only option, there is not cable provder or anything else n the area. This is the downside for living in sem rural area. The most aggrevatng ths is that the house beside mine has it and the at&t box is in my yard.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Well the lady who helped me yesterday just call and said to terry the transfer tomorrow. She didn't say either way if it is approved, but I guess I will find out tomorrow.

MTMiller

get your neighbor to install a wireless network you can connect to and pay 1/2 the bill.

georgia357

get your neighbor to install a wireless network you can connect to and pay 1/2 the bill.

This might be the best option you'll get. I know dial-up suxs big time.

georgia_home

wireless + distance + walls + type of exterior surface = probably won't work well.

even if you don't connect, you can sit with your PC and see the signal strength of your neighbors wireless network. yeah, i know, but it is probably a good bet they have one...

with 2 or more walls, and depending on the distance between houses, the signal you get may be good or worthless, depending on the variables.

hardwire is best. cat5 is cheap. if distance is too long, fiber may be the next option. haven't looked at the cost though. i do think it's a lot cheaper then it used to be.

cowhornedspike

Do a search on google or ebay for "long range wi-fi antenna". You can possibly use your neighbors wifi without running a cable.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher

this seems pretty nice, but it charges by the data you use. With netflix and all my wfes stuff we would use that in a heartbeat, but it is definatley an option, thanks.

I do believe that they are opening a port back up for us though. I got a call today from a guy that was there connecting the line to the house. :clap:

antiqfreq

I have used a Verizon air-card since September 2009 with no problems.

That way I have my internet always - no down time.

I only use a laptop, no desk top.

But I chose not to get DSL at my house & stick with air card!

Jo

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I have used a Verizon air-card since September 2009 with no problems.

That way I have my internet always - no down time.

I only use a laptop, no desk top.

But I chose not to get DSL at my house & stick with air card!

Jo

My company gives me an aircard for my laptop, data signal is poor in the area, also with everything we have that uses wireless Wii,2 computers,Ipad, network extender for cell signal, 2 smart phones, Ipod. it isnt really an option for what we need. I do know several people that do the same as you though and they are very happy with it. :cheers:

southernboy2147

wireless + distance + walls + type of exterior surface = probably won't work well.

even if you don't connect, you can sit with your PC and see the signal strength of your neighbors wireless network. yeah, i know, but it is probably a good bet they have one...

with 2 or more walls, and depending on the distance between houses, the signal you get may be good or worthless, depending on the variables.

hardwire is best. cat5 is cheap. if distance is too long, fiber may be the next option. haven't looked at the cost though. i do think it's a lot cheaper then it used to be.

this is a option if a after market wireless router is purchased and then a ranger extended bought after that.

the only problem with this option is if the internet goes out while they are not home you have no way of trouble shooting the problem and will have to wait until they are available to be home.

only other option you will have bud will be some sort of satellite internet. Verizon was mentioned which has a 3MB package i know of.. but that is the only wireless internet I have any kind of experience with. it works well but you have to have Verizon cell phone signal in the area.