Bad Day At Bartletts

ronniegarrison

The Flint River Bass Club fished our February tournament at Bartletts Ferry yesterday. Everything looked good - nice day, water temps 48 - 52 and a decent color on most of the lake. It didn't work out that way.

Ever have one of those days when everything just seems to to right? Yesterday was the opposite for me. Started out at 5:30 AM when I had trouble with the trailer hitch jamming - gave me fits getting hooked up. But Javin and l left on time at 6.

There was some talk at the meeting Tuesday about the road being closed but I misunderstood - thought they meant the exit off I-185 south of where I exit. We got off the interstate at 7:15 with plenty of time to get to ramp and for me to take up entry fees. But at the 4-way stop there was a road closed sign and detour. I thought a bridge was out between where we were and the ramp so we took the detour all the way back to 18 then down to the road that goes to the ramp from that end.

Three miles later we were turning around - the bridge was out on that side. I managed to turn around and head back, calling a friend in the club to take up money and let folks go at 8 since I would not make it.

I was wondering what the third bad thing to happen would be since they come in threes.

We got to the ramp and launched by 8:20, not too bad. First place we stopped, a main lake rocky point, nothing hit but I did hang and lose my favorite crankbait, my last one.

The second rocky point we fished Javin got a keeper spot on a jig and pig. Then, on the next point, he had one pull off a Shadrap and a1.5 pound fish tried to grab my crankbait as I lifted it from the water but missed. That was a bad omen!

We fished hard until about 1:00 with no more hits then on a small brush pile back in a pocket I ran my crankbait on both sides without a bite. Javin threw a jig to it and landed a 2.5 pound largemouth.

At 3:50 we had no had another bite so we headed in. At the weigh-in Javin placed second with two weighing 3.67. First was four at 4.83, third one that was also big fish at 2.82. JJ Polak had it. Fourth was one at 1.48.

16 people, 8 hours, 9 keepers. Terrible day. It was even worse for Bobby. He came in 12 minutes late and when he realized he was late let his four go while his partner got the trailer. Penalty would have been 36 percent - he said he had about five pounds, so he would have probably placed second even with penalty!

Have no idea why it was so tough - conditions seemed good. Most of the few caught were on #5 Shadraps around docks.

dlsgumbo

Been there. Son called Sunday from Texas, he fished a tourney near his home. 26 boats, 52 fishermen, 0 fish. His friend fished another tournament with 36 boat/72fishermen and 2 fish. Just wasn't a bass weekend anywhere.

bayoubetty

I'll be fishin with y'all at Lanier next month :) my partner was sick and we couldn't make it. Tight lines and thanks for the report.

LTZ25

Ronnie, we had tournament there on Saturday , the road closed sign got us also and we made the long detour . But it turned out that the road wasn't blocked ( if you were coming from I -185 ) when we started to leave a friend told me to go regular way and we did with no problem . As far as fishing goes 12 lbs. Won ours by a the guy that won Ga. State Championship I somehow caught 3 that went 6.8 ( no money) . So don't feel bad about the lack of fish there were a lot of zeros .
Also at West Point the spotted bass tour. winner had 4 lbs. And the side pot for large mouth was not won there were no large mouths caught .
The guy that won our tournament at Harding had a 5.6 lb spot.

LTZ25

We used jigs and crank baits , If the water was better I was told to crank bait the private ramps .

fish hawk

Bass Master
Good thing yall weren't fishing a local tournament,youd had to have 20 to 25 lbs to win.This time of the year you have to target pre spawn largemouths to even think about having a chance!!!;)If your catching spots you know it's time to move along.

LTZ25

Good thing yall weren't fishing a local tournament,youd had to have 20 to 25 lbs to win.This time of the year you have to target pre spawn largemouths to even think about having a chance!!!;)If your catching spots you know it's time to move along.

Pre spawn you say , the water temp was 44 degres . I managed 3 fish all LM , no spots . If you could get 5 for 25 lb. Saturday you need to wrap your boat and go get em .

mtr3333

Banned
Pre spawn you say , the water temp was 44 degres . I managed 3 fish all LM , no spots . If you could get 5 for 25 lb. Saturday you need to wrap your boat and go get em .

Prespawn is more about time than temp. This is prespawn now.

fish hawk

Bass Master

You should come down and fish one of the weekly pot tournaments and witness it first hand for yourself,it can be a humbling experience.Theres some very good fisherman on Bartletts that can consistently bring in a good bag on the lake no matter the conditions.;):bounce:

LTZ25

I don't have to travel to get humbled . By the way I love lake Harding , it's always a fun place to fish for bass .

G111

I am just starting to realize about prespawn being more about the calander than water temp. Last year we caught fish where I didn't expect them to be in 46 degree water. This Sunday we tried it again and they were there. I say that but they were not there that morning. The sun came out and warmed the water back in there a good bit. They were there biting that afternoon.

fish hawk

Bass Master
I don't have to travel to get humbled . By the way I love lake Harding , it's always a fun place to fish for bass .

Back when I fished some tournaments I've been humbled quite a few times out there.Nothing like bringing 15 lbs to the scales in tough conditions only to be blown out of the water by 19, 20,25 lb sacks.:O
I actually find Bartletts a lot tougher to fish during the dog days of summer.

brunofishing

You should come down and fish one of the weekly pot tournaments and witness it first hand for yourself,it can be a humbling experience.Theres some very good fisherman on Bartletts that can consistently bring in a good bag on the lake no matter the conditions.;):bounce:

I fish that lake like no other. no points or ledges, no grass, once you catch on to what the fish like it is a blast!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Prespawn is more about time than temp. This is prespawn now.

I agree and that applies to many different species of fish.

Found this article today...thinks it fits quite well.

http://www.majorleaguefishing.com/news_details.aspx?id=5548#sthash.BfSXZRSs.gbpl

“By the time we get into late February, the temperature is irrelevant,” said Jones. “Bass are going to be shallow since the pre-spawn period occurs from mid-February on. Most bass are going to be in 10 feet of water or less.”