Bartram's wolf

Tugboat1

On a trail cam thread there was mention of a Bartrams' wolf. I've read Bartrams' journals abridged and unabridged but have no recollection of a wolf. Internet search revealed nada.
Y'all educate me please.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
On a trail cam thread there was mention of a Bartrams' wolf. I've read Bartrams' journals abridged and unabridged but have no recollection of a wolf. Internet search revealed nada.
Y'all educate me please.
I don't know what page it would be in the book, but here's the a section that talks about what we now call "Bartam's Wolf":

Observing a company of wolves (lupus niger) under a few trees, about a quarter of a mile from shore, we rode up towards them, they observing our approach, sitting on their hinder parts until we came nearly within shot of them, when they trotted off towards the forests, but stopped again and looked at us, at about two hundred yards distance; we then whooped, and made a feint to pursue them, when they seperated from each other, some stretching off into the plains and others seeking covert in the groves on shore; when we got to the trees we observed they had been feeding on the carcase of a horse. The wolves of Florida are larger than a dog, and are perfectly black, except the females, which have a white spot on the breast, but they are not so large as the wolves of Canada and Pennsylvania, which are of a yellowish brown colour.

Last edited:

Tugboat1

I don't know what page it would be in the book, but here's the section that talks about what we now call "Bartam's Wolf":

Observing a company of wolves (lupus niger) under a few trees, about a quarter of a mile from shore, we rode up towards them, they observing our approach, sitting on their hinder parts until we came nearly within shot of them, when they trotted off towards the forests, but stopped again and looked at us, at about two hundred yards distance; we then whooped, and made a feint to pursue them, when they seperated from each other, some stretching off into the plains and others seeking covert in the groves on shore; when we got to the trees we observed they had been feeding on the carcase of a horse. The wolves of Florida are larger than a dog, and are perfectly black, except the females, which have a white spot on the breast, but they are not so large as the wolves of Canada and Pennsylvania, which are of a yellowish brown colour.
Thank you. I couldn't recall but will take another look.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Bartram mentioned wolves several times in Travels. Another description from the book:

"the wolves here are frequently seen pied, black and white, and of other mixed colors. They assemble in companies in the night time, howl and bark all together....which is terrifying to the wandering bewildered traveller...."

The species in question is the Florida black wolf, (Canis lupus floridanus,) which used to roam through much of the southeast. It supposedly went extinct in the early 1900s, except that it didn't.

JDBrown

Bartram mentioned wolves several times in Travels. Another description from the book:

The species in question is the Florida black wolf, (Canis lupus floridanus,) which used to roam through much of the southeast. It supposedly went extinct in the early 1900s, except that it didn't.
I had not heard of the black wolf, that might explain the large black yote that trailed me to stand one evening about 10 years ago, I was able to watch him coming in, thought at first he was a big black dog, I had left a cover scent drag ( fox pee) hanging on a limb about 30 yards in front of me, he came right to it, stopped for a minute, and picked me out up the tree, and was gone. It was a lot bigger than the other coyotes we have over here. Maybe a cross with a dog, or maybe, a black wolf.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
The Bartam`s wolf-red wolf is an interesting subject. A couple of us are of the mind that neither ever went extinct in the wild, but with the drop in deer populations in the South, their populations dropped withy them. This happens with all predator-prey relationships. As the deer population has increased so much, so has the Southern wolf populations. It`s just how Nature works. I feel that the Carolina dog is doing the same thing on a smaller scale.

GeorgiaGlockMan

I had not heard of the black wolf, that might explain the large black yote that trailed me to stand one evening about 10 years ago, I was able to watch him coming in, thought at first he was a big black dog, I had left a cover scent drag ( fox pee) hanging on a limb about 30 yards in front of me, he came right to it, stopped for a minute, and picked me out up the tree, and was gone. It was a lot bigger than the other coyotes we have over here. Maybe a cross with a dog, or maybe, a black wolf.
Did it look like this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211020-214016_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211020-214016_Gallery.jpg
    839.3 KB · Views: 57

Tugboat1

Bkeepr

I read somewhere that in gray wolves, the black color seems to confer resistance against canine distemper virus.

Hillbilly stalker

Check this one out my buddies mounting. Black coyote or Bartram's wolf ? Its at the 1 minute mark.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Look at the head and then compare to the picture Nic posted. The body hasn’t matured to where he could overpower a five or six year old as well. Very fine animal you trapped but remember that’s just my opinion on his age and only that.