Bear kills man drinking his morning coffee.

DAVE

Stories about black bears attacking and killing humans must be all fake news. I often hear the outdoor experts giving advice to a novice or anyone that will listen telling them don't worry, no danger, black bears are peaceful and only want your picnic basket, they will not harm you.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Stories about black bears attacking and killing humans must be all fake news. I often hear the outdoor experts giving advice to a novice or anyone that will listen telling them don't worry, no danger, black bears are peaceful and only want your picnic basket, they will not harm you.
Statistics show that black bears are actually a lot more likely to make predatory attacks on humans than grizzlies. I know of three folks killed and eaten by bears right here in my area in the last few years. I never trust a national park or town bear.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Statistics show that black bears are actually a lot more likely to make predatory attacks on humans than grizzlies. I know of three folks killed and eaten by bears right here in my area in the last few years. I never trust a national park or town bear.
Boy howdy, I was up your way and had a run in with a park bear. That rascal opened a vertical raising door latch to get in the center console of the wife’s car after some scents. The deputy found him down the hill on the next road, he was a big boy, scared him off. I would not of wanted to meet him with him searching for food.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Boy howdy, I was up your way and had a run in with a park bear. That rascal opened a vertical raising door latch to get in the center console of the wife’s car after some scents. The deputy found him down the hill on the next road, he was a big boy, scared him off. I would not of wanted to meet him with him searching for food.
One drug a feller out of a tent on Hazel Creek and killed and ate him a couple years ago. Another two bears killed and ate a woman who was hiking on the TN side of the park a while back, and another one killed and ate somebody on the Cherokee NF in east TN somewhere in between.

bullgator

Y’all are racist. BBLM

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
One drug a feller out of a tent on Hazel Creek and killed and ate him a couple years ago. Another two bears killed and ate a woman who was hiking on the TN side of the park a while back, and another one killed and ate somebody on the Cherokee NF in east TN somewhere in between.
We rented a cabin outside Gatlinburg. The alarm on the car went off when he opened door. It was slick, saw the muddy streak of his paw up under the door latch. They have gotten very acclimated to people.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We rented a cabin outside Gatlinburg. The alarm on the car went off when he opened door. It was slick, saw the muddy streak of his paw up under the door latch. They have gotten very acclimated to people.
I run into them at work almost every day. They are destructive.

ddd-shooter

Terrible incident. Prayers for the family.

The best thing for predators is to know humans are above them on the food chain. That only happens when we allow hunting. Even then, crazy things happen.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Terrible incident. Prayers for the family.

The best thing for predators is to know humans are above them on the food chain. That only happens when we allow hunting. Even then, crazy things happen.
We are made of meat, like it or not.

basshappy

BANNED
Easy to armchair QB, but I THINK instead of honking my car horn and or yelling I would have FIRST GRABBED MY RIFLE and fired a warning shot and immediately been ready to discharge a round into the bear taking aim to avoid the human. I do wonder why the person who eventually retrieved the rifle did not do so immediately. But I'll likely never know. Perhaps that person did just that but the story as written doesn't paint that picture. In this case carry on person might have made the difference.

Big7

The Oracle
Dang.. I wouldn't go around a Panda without a pew- pew, much less a Black Bear or Grizzly.

I'm far from a bear expert but found this:
While there are about 15 times as many black bears as grizzlies, grizzlies kill about twice as many people, likely because they evolved in open plains and rarely climb trees, Dr. Herrero said. Roughly half of grizzly attacks involve mothers protecting cubs.

GeorgiaBob

About four years ago (pre covid) my wife and I rented a cabin on one of the hills between Pidgin Forge and the national park. The kids and grandkids joined us. We all arrived pretty close to the same time and started unpacking. My grandkids (8 and 11 then) squealed with excitement and ran out onto a rear balcony that was within 2 feet of the hillside - and a black bear that was looking closely at both of them. They were trying to get closer to pet it!

Fortunately, my appearance (with carry weapon soon in hand) startled the bear long enough for me to shoo the kids inside. The bear, apparently bored, wandered off after about an hour. We later found food scraps (sliced bread and pig rib bones) and bear prints on the ground just a few feet away from where we saw the bear. Some idiot prior guest had been feeding the bears NEXT TO THE HOUSE!

I scraped up the scraps and covered the area with bleach then sprinkled chile powder and ground black pepper around a wide perimeter. I insisted on no walks without two adults present and did granddad lectures on the dangers of black bears. It took a lot of ice cream and a trip to one of the Pidgin Forge amusement parks to get back in the good graces of my grandkids.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Dang.. I wouldn't go around a Panda without a pew- pew, much less a Black Bear or Grizzly.

I'm far from a bear expert but found this:
Most of what I've found lists 90 fatal grizzly/brown bear attacks on record, and 82 fatal black bear attacks. So, black bears kill just about as many people. But, there are a lot more of them covering a much larger range.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
It`ll end up happening somewhere along The Forgotten Coast before it`s over with. There are a pile of them in the Panhandle and the population is rising.
Yep. Saw the folks in Destin freaking out about the bear in the ocean just last week. Bears are everywhere. H22 has seen them in South Ga. while hunting. He and brother-in-law both.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
It`ll end up happening somewhere along The Forgotten Coast before it`s over with. There are a pile of them in the Panhandle and the population is rising.
What also doesn't help is that The Forest seems to be one of FWC's favorite release sites from trapped bears from around the State. Not many choices though. Locals have very little respect for them (bears and some laws ;) )...few years back a guy on the Ochlocknee got charged with 6 kills!