Bear kills man drinking his morning coffee.

Timberjack86

I changed my mind on them last year after a sporty encounter one night while dragging a bear my son shot during bow season. Long story and the bear walked away and we did to but realized that a sidearm in a situation like that would be pretty much worthless unless he was crunching on your leg. With the poor acorn crop there's no telling where that bear came from but was like no other I've ever seen.
Really interested in the long story!

catchdogs

Really shocked there has not been an attack in Cades cove yet . Idiots were really close to a sow with three cubs last time I was there. She could have easily had them before they made it back to the car . I enjoy taking pictures of the wildlife too but also know to keep a safe distance .

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
My neighbors drive 10 minutes ago.

IMG_1882.jpeg

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
IMG_1891.jpeg
IMG_1892.jpeg
IMG_1893.jpeg
IMG_1894.jpeg

tree cutter 08

@tree cutter 08

Do tell the long version if you feel like typing it up. I'll read it
I'm not much of a story teller but bumped into one last season while getting a 150 lb bear out after dark my son shot with his bow. Best I could tell he would go 300 to 350lb and absolutely was pitching a fit and would not leave. When I would close the gap he would to. 7 or so yards away for 10 mins while he was slinging bark, dirt slobbering and ripping sapplings out of the ground like they was nothing. I'd hollar, throw rocks and hit him hard as I could, shot 1 round into the dirt at his feet and and he stand up and act like king Kong if you've ever seen that movie. Finally was able to hit him with a 2 or 3 foot big stick when he came back on all fours and he turned around and was able to ease on by but he never left. I've seen hundreds of bears in the woods and bumped into dozens in the dark, split up sow and cubs several times and never had one act like this one. It was very clear that a little pistol in the dark was about as worthless as those sticks and rocks. The only thing I could figure was those was the only white oak acorns around he he wasn't about to give them up, or he smelled the other bear and was holding his own but the fact that all the talking we did and the shot I fired had no affect and he had no fear. I went back the next few evenings to try to kill him but he never returned.

pjciii

I'm not much of a story teller but bumped into one last season while getting a 150 lb bear out after dark my son shot with his bow. Best I could tell he would go 300 to 350lb and absolutely was pitching a fit and would not leave. When I would close the gap he would to. 7 or so yards away for 10 mins while he was slinging bark, dirt slobbering and ripping sapplings out of the ground like they was nothing. I'd hollar, throw rocks and hit him hard as I could, shot 1 round into the dirt at his feet and and he stand up and act like king Kong if you've ever seen that movie. Finally was able to hit him with a 2 or 3 foot big stick when he came back on all fours and he turned around and was able to ease on by but he never left. I've seen hundreds of bears in the woods and bumped into dozens in the dark, split up sow and cubs several times and never had one act like this one. It was very clear that a little pistol in the dark was about as worthless as those sticks and rocks. The only thing I could figure was those was the only white oak acorns around he he wasn't about to give them up, or he smelled the other bear and was holding his own but the fact that all the talking we did and the shot I fired had no affect and he had no fear. I went back the next few evenings to try to kill him but he never returned.
Cocaine Bear
When they are that agitated and close you don't want to tick them off further. I bet the hair on back of your neck was on high alert. Thanks for sharing.

ddd-shooter

Even stranger that he wasn’t there when you went back. He may have just really wanted to eat that other bear!

Glad you and your son got out unscathed.

tree cutter 08

Even stranger that he wasn’t there when you went back. He may have just really wanted to eat that other bear!

Glad you and your son got out unscathed.
I really thought it would have been a slam dunk especially with the acorns like they was last year. I usually don't worry about them but I reckon when one gets fired up they would be a handful.

Duff

I’ve been around a bunch of them and never heard or seen such. That is wild!!

earlthegoat2

I have been near many bears in remote parts of Canada and for the most part, all I ever saw was their tail ends running away from me.

Some were curious but were easily ran off with loud noises. Doesn’t mean I wasn’t still a bit puckered now and then. Especially when I saw cubs around.

Once I was filleting a pike by a lake when one walked up on me. I wanted that fish for dinner, at least part of it so I tossed one of the fillets at it and they took it and ran off.

My great great uncle had a bear as a pet in northern MI. Had it for 12 years before he (the bear) died.

Yes. These are just anecdotes. I would never turn my back on a bear or trust one for a second.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Many years back hunting the Ozarks on a trip generated by short notice a buddy had me sitting on top of a 12 ft stand made from a converted step ladder. Suddenly it sounded like a VW being driven through the woods. A no kidding bruiser, 350-400 lbs came down the trail right under my stand. Silly, as I had a rifle, all I could think was the dang ladder was not high enough.

Thetrooper

There are people starting to free dive with great whites now. One woman even swam with Deep Blue in the open ocean. If I remember right she even reached out and held on to a fin on that shark.

I haven`t heard of anybody free diving with bull sharks though. Not on purpose anyway. With scallop season coming in a lot of folks will be though.
Oh ya they do it with tigers too. Gonna be some hi def video of a chick getting eaten because she wanted followers and clicks on social media one of these days

slow motion

Few weeks ago Momma and while I didn't see the cubs General Contractor said there were 2 . She was climbing in open truck windows and stealing food.
Screenshot_20230624-150247_Adblock Browser.jpg
Screenshot_20230624-150259_Adblock Browser.jpg

This past week she moved on but left one of the cubs. He's getting harder to run off. Afraid he's gonna become a problem.
Screenshot_20230624-150040_Adblock Browser.jpg
Screenshot_20230624-150048_Adblock Browser.jpg

I don't know much about bears. They were rare when I was growing up. Fairly numerous now. Any wild animal is somewhat unpredictable but thinking the over familiarity with humans leads to the biggest problem with bears. Much stronger than they look too.