Bear kills man drinking his morning coffee.

Big7

The Oracle
Yep. Saw the folks in Destin freaking out about the bear in the ocean just last week. Bears are everywhere. H22 has seen them in South Ga. while hunting. He and brother-in-law both.
A good bit of Black Bear live in and near the Okefenokee Swamp.

No danger of me going there in summer. Bugs will tote you off down there.

Thetrooper

Bears aren't bloodthirsty monsters by any means and they do try to avoid people but any predator is still a potential risk. People need to be aware. If they want to have a go at you they are fully capable.

Now a days people take the attitude that sharks... in particular large GW sharks are just big puppy dogs that "don't see people as prey". I call bull on that I'm sure we're way way down on the totem pole but if you've been in the mountains all day you get back to the truck and there's a half a slim Jim in the dash board it tastes pretty good. Same thing.

There's a video of some dude on YouTube who just got fully eaten by a GW off the coast of Sydney Australia a couple months ago. Sure attacks are rare but how often are people actually swimming in the same water as a large GW who is actively hunting? Too many videos of spear fisherman dodging bullets... I mean most the beaches in Australia have shark proof nets and they still have a huge prevalence of attacks. The sad thing is the Australian government mislabels attacks especially when people just disappear after being eaten. I don't advocate killing the sharks for no reason but at the same time let's be real here they are covering up and mislabeling a lot of the information on shark attacks

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I live 400 yards from the national forest boundary here in Tn. Bears are part of living here. Always carry, never worry about a problem bear but if I have a problem I have a problem solver.
Same here in the efge of the GSMNP. I don't worry about national forest bears, they act like they're supposed to and usually run like a scalded dog when they see or smell a human. The national park bears and the urban bears like are all over in Asheville, Gatlinburg, and Pigeon Forge are a different story. I don't trust them. They have absolutely no fear of or respect for people.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Bear gonna bear. I don’t trust em one bit

The ones around the heavy trafficked camping areas can be a little pushy at times

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Bears aren't bloodthirsty monsters by any means and they do try to avoid people but any predator is still a potential risk. People need to be aware. If they want to have a go at you they are fully capable.

Now a days people take the attitude that sharks... in particular large GW sharks are just big puppy dogs that "don't see people as prey". I call bull on that I'm sure we're way way down on the totem pole but if you've been in the mountains all day you get back to the truck and there's a half a slim Jim in the dash board it tastes pretty good. Same thing.

There's a video of some dude on YouTube who just got fully eaten by a GW off the coast of Sydney Australia a couple months ago. Sure attacks are rare but how often are people actually swimming in the same water as a large GW who is actively hunting? Too many videos of spear fisherman dodging bullets... I mean most the beaches in Australia have shark proof nets and they still have a huge prevalence of attacks. The sad thing is the Australian government mislabels attacks especially when people just disappear after being eaten. I don't advocate killing the sharks for no reason but at the same time let's be real here they are covering up and mislabeling a lot of the information on shark attacks
The "shark viewing" tourism in some places really ain't helping with shark conflicts, either. "A fed bear is a dead bear," but a fed shark is seen as profit.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
There’s some bruisers right around here, cam pics show them raiding feeders. Their home range is being impacted by development.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Folks think them GSMNP bears are in a petting zoo
No thanks
There ain't hardly a year goes by without somebody getting drug out of a tent and mauled in the GSMNP. It just gets kept quiet most of the time.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The "shark viewing" tourism in some places really ain't helping with shark conflicts, either. "A fed bear is a dead bear," but a fed shark is seen as profit.

There are people starting to free dive with great whites now. One woman even swam with Deep Blue in the open ocean. If I remember right she even reached out and held on to a fin on that shark.

I haven`t heard of anybody free diving with bull sharks though. Not on purpose anyway. With scallop season coming in a lot of folks will be though.

pjciii

Just in the last couple of weeks I have seen 3 Sows with a total of 8 cubs. 2 of the sows had 3 cubs each and the they are different in size so not the same family units. 3rd had 2 really little cubs
IMG_20230528_201908.jpg

But all 3 sows and cubs were within 50 yards. Did it mention they can cover that distance quickly. I just carry all the time and live less than 75 yards from Nantahala bear sanctuary. Haven't seen the big boar in about month and half.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
There are people starting to free dive with great whites now. One woman even swam with Deep Blue in the open ocean. If I remember right she even reached out and held on to a fin on that shark.

I haven`t heard of anybody free diving with bull sharks though. Not on purpose anyway. With scallop season coming in a lot of folks will be though.
I'd rather fight a chainsaw than a bull shark!

trial&error

It`ll end up happening somewhere along The Forgotten Coast before it`s over with. There are a pile of them in the Panhandle and the population is rising.
I went pig hunting along the edges of nation forest along the Ochlockonee river just above Sopchoppy one night. All set up in a stand watching 5+ full size bears surround my location. Not sure what exactly they were after, but my comfort level got way too low. I fired a round to scare them off then eased 1/4 mile to the truck. It took another round to get to the truck as 2 of them were following. There have been several attacks over the years since then.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
I went pig hunting along the edges of nation forest along the Ochlockonee river just above Sopchoppy one night. All set up in a stand watching 5+ full size bears surround my location. Not sure what exactly they were after, but my comfort level got way too low. I fired a round to scare them off then eased 1/4 mile to the truck. It took another round to get to the truck as 2 of them were following. There have been several attacks over the years since then.
Believe that! They can get thick along the river north of forest road 13 too. All of the forest land is designated still hunt along there.....they escape the dogs during hunting season running on the east side of Smith Creek Rd.

trial&error

Believe that! They can get thick along the river north of forest road 13 too. All of the forest land is designated still hunt along there.....they escape the dogs during hunting season running on the east side of Smith Creek Rd.
between silver lake and roberts landing.

tree cutter 08

I changed my mind on them last year after a sporty encounter one night while dragging a bear my son shot during bow season. Long story and the bear walked away and we did to but realized that a sidearm in a situation like that would be pretty much worthless unless he was crunching on your leg. With the poor acorn crop there's no telling where that bear came from but was like no other I've ever seen.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’ve seen two bears in my yard the past three years. I saw pictures from a trail cam of a couple of bears this year. That tract of land is about 8 miles away from my home on a straight line.
I live in middle Georgia right beside a large portion of the ONF.