Best Do It All Shotgun

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
No one has said any thing about the
Weatherby auto loader. Best price and can go to the dove field. Ducks and turkeys.
Go in a gun store and ask to see it.

Stevie Ray

Any 870 I've ever owned over the past umpteen hundred years has been super reliable and me being in the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' camp I'd go with another 870 ... and just about any accessory I can ask for is pretty much on the market for it.

furtaker

870 no questions asked. It will and can do anything you need. Much easier breakdown and cleaning than a Mossberg or many others. Time tested and proven. Only thing more reliable than a 870 is a claw hammer.
Came here to say this. You can't beat an 870 for an all around shotgun.

Gator89

870 is a great choice.
Got rid of the Benelli, too heavy, too noisy, no need for artillery with todays ammo.
I have the Yildiz in .410 O/U and a Winchester pump in 20 gauge.
I can hunt everything that interest me.
I may get the Yildiz in 20 gauge O/U just for the reduced weight.
The Yildiz comes with 5 chokes.

I went the other way, Benellis in 20 & 28 to go with my 12.

My 870 has sat in the safe for near 20 years.

Big7

The Oracle

I have that TriStar in 3" and LOVE it.

menhadenman

Mossy 500 or old Remmy 870. Can't go wrong with either one. It will always go bang, and outlast you.
My first two shotguns there. Was whacking birds last week with my 500, pop bought it for me when I was 12 (we got 12 gauges for our 12th birthdays).

My 870 is an old wing master with the poly choke. It’s a long rascal but I bet she’s pretty old and still looks and shoot sharp. Don’t know when they were made but I think late 50s thru 70s?

WaltL1

You've already got a shotgun you love. What wont it do that you want it to do? Or you just want a new shotgun?

chase870

Possum Sox
870 in a supermag, wood stock, have the barrel ported and the forcing cone lengthened, this helps with recoil on the 3.5 inch loads. It will shoot any shell you run through it every time day or night rain or shine dirty or clean, and you can find parts about anywhere in the world.

paulito

I'm with Walt, you already have a quality pump gun if i read that right, so no real need for another shotgun. That said, if you are just wanting another shotgun, i would go with another type just to add some variety to your safe.

I have the tristar O/U in 20ga and love it. Got it for the boy when he was small but i shoot it a LOT. good cheap option. I also have a 11-87 in 12ga. Got it on a trade with turkey scope setup and another barrel. I shoot it a good bit as well. My main duck gun is a benelli nova pump and i still get a lot of looks when i take it to the sporting clays place but it works and i shoot it really good.

killerv

Pump, 870, 26in barrel

Semi, for 800ish...ugghhh...that's tough, beretta isnt what it used to be. Id save a few hundred more up and pickup a benelli m2, 26in barrel. That's a good barrel length for "everything", not too long, not to short. Last you til the day you die, like the 870.

GregoryB.

I have the synthetic 870 Super Mag . Got it when it first came out. Have used it for everything from dove to deer. Got a slug barrel for it when I hunted Military Bases. I use to drag it through some nasty stuff when I was young. Now it just gets pulled out for an occasional turkey hunt.

44magpastor

One shotgun, with an $800 budget.......

Remington 870
Franchi Affinity 3
or
Stretch your budget a hundred more bucks and get a plain, black, Winchester SX4

weagle

Remington 870 Wingmaster is always the right answer. Stay with the standard 3" gun. The 3 1/2" buys you nothing unless the huge majority of your shooting is long range pass shooting at geese with steel shot or you just happen to run across one on the cheap. BTW the 870 Police Magnums also have the good Wingmaster parts plus a couple of upgraded springs, so don't shy away from a deal one of those. You can always find a vent rib, screw in choke 870 barrel on ebay.