Youth Shotgun

fastball_24

I am looking at getting my second son a youth shotgun. I went with a 20 gauge youth model franchi on first one and it went okay so far. I am considering trying to go 28 gauge youth for second one. Anyone have any experiences with youth 28 gauge they like to share. All suggestion help be much appreciated.

Liberty

I am looking at getting my second son a youth shotgun. I went with a 20 gauge youth model franchi on first one and it went okay so far. I am considering trying to go 28 gauge youth for second one. Anyone have any experiences with youth 28 gauge they like to share. All suggestion help be much appreciated.
Not trying to open a can of worms, but Ballistic Products produces a fantastic manual on smaller bore shotguns along with the big stuff. My son who isn’t a real big fellow (skinny) has a 20 gauge Citori Skeet. If you are loading for it, a 20 can be tuned down to 28 gauge loads- 3/4 ounce with standard components except the wad which are dirt cheap. I find that letting them shoot the same gun with light and heavy loads moving the same general velocity to keep leads consistent is easier on them than swapping shotguns.

Big7

The Oracle
For no more advantage the 28 has over the 20, ammo will be limited in loadings, hard to find and EXPENSIVE.

My little Youth 870 is my Rabbit gun and sometimes Dove gun when I find 20 guage field loads on sale. I did add a recoil pad, not because of recoil, obviously, but it added an inch to length of pull.

I'm 6'0" and 200- 210 pounds and I can carry it all day and it shoots like it has radar.

georgia_home

before recent trouble, ida done a Remington 20g 1187. If you can find a used one and in good shape, they take the recoil well.

most semi in 20 should do you well. It will take anything in the southeast, feather or fur. (well maybe bear, not so much)

one of the older guys I shoot skeet with, uses a 20 sa, I think maybe some kind of ?winchester?, shot it a couple times. Seems pretty tame. We both shoot 20g/870 too.

as noted, the 28 has a little less recoil, but is more costly to operate and limited and more expensive loadings. dont know if I’ve ever seen a waterfowl / nontoxic load for 28. maybe on the internet…?

either way, you should do well with the 20 you got. Good luck

fastball_24

Yeah I may go back to the 20 gauge for this one. I do have ability to have 28 gauge rounds made or purchase for decent price wanted to try something different and this son is on small side.

Robert28

Are you wanting to go pump or semi auto? The youth shotgun market is hot right now, SO many choices compared to years ago.

Robert28

Tri star has a lot of guns in that segment that are worth a look. You’re going to get a lot for your money with them and some models have spacers where they can grow with the gun. I wish Beretta made a youth model in the a300 ultima but they don’t, you have to step up to the a400 but you’re talking serious money with those and most people aren’t going to spend well over $1000 for a youth shotgun.

Robert28

Not sure if you were looking for wood or not but here’s a model I’d consider. You aren’t gonna beat it for $500

Robert28

Here’s a 28ga if you want to go that route

killerv

if the oldest is big enough to graduate to a full size, just pass that franchi down to your youngest

Robust Redhorse

I'm a big advocate for reduced recoil loads in a 20 gauge for a youngster.

.410's and 28 gauge loads are either illegal, too expensive, or too hard to find.

Reduced recoil 20 gauge was just the ticket for my son.

cowhornedspike

Mossberg SA-28 is a good gun but I agree with everyone else and would go with the 20 for your needs.