What’s the best semi-auto upland shotgun under $1k

TurkeyH90

I have no argument agains some gas guns.....why do you not recommend inertia guns ?
I have owned 3 Benellis. Back in the early 2000s me and most of my buddy's duck hunted with them. They are lightweight and feel great. They are simple and I can take one apart and clean it with my eyes closed. However all of them after several years tended to become unreliable. I ain't talking about with cheap shells. High brass duck loads. Sent one to Benelli twice. They could never get it 100% reliable. This was not just me. I sold it to a buddy with full disclosure. Bought a 391 and never looked back. Fast forward to a couple years ago I had some friends that bought affinity and intensity. 4 different guns. Deja vu. They all become single shots. Bolt will almost close but not quite. Firing pin cannot reach primer. I don't know about the SBE 3. Maybe they have fixed the issue. I hope so.as much as they cost. I will go with my 1100s and Berettas. I clean them about once a year and they run reliably.

killerv

FWIW. I believe the original SBE that built the Benelli rep was reliable. I don't know what changed.
Nothing has changed, most reliable autos on the market. What has changed is beretta quality

You'd be amazed at the folks that dont know most of these guns have a spring system in the stock, and it never, ever, gets cleaned.

The benelli click is a thing I'll agree, but its rare and after some use goes away completely. I think a lot of the times its someone not letting the bolt slam home

Gator89

Nothing has changed, most reliable autos on the market. What has changed is beretta quality

You'd be amazed at the folks that dont know most of these guns have a spring system in the stock, and it never, ever, gets cleaned.

The benelli click is a thing I'll agree, but its rare and after some use goes away completely. I think a lot of the times its someone not letting the bolt slam home

When Benelli rolled out the Ethos, they added an extra spring and cam to keep the bolt in place and reduce the chance of the bolt coming out of battery. The SBE3 was also rolled out with the new bolt a couple of years ago.

I believe Benelli is putting the new style bolt in all of its guns made in 2023, but for sure the new versions of the M2 and the Montefeltro.

If one is of a mind to, one can order an "Ethos" bolt and it will drop into your older Monte, M2, Ultralight, etc.

I have hunted in SoDak every year but one since 2009 and toted a Benelli doing it. Walked standing corn, stomped out cattails, never have had a click.

Just like the recoil spring in a handgun needs replacing after a few thousand rounds, the recoil spring in a Benelli can eventually need to be replaced as well. If I was only going to use a Benelli for waterfowl, I would install a Wolff extra power spring.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

A Wolff or Sure Cycle spring cures sluggish cycling and the dreaded Benelli click. Gotta let that bolt slam home.

I bought an M1 90, years ago. A Goose Hunter used it and was flat out honest that it was sluggish cycling and feeding and was getting rid of it. $400
He had the action spotless and lubed but the spring and tube inside the stock was a rusty sludge, plus plant debris. I cleaned it all out, coated the housing lightly with Weapon Shield, and put a new Wolff spring in there. It has not missed a beat in 12 years.

Last edited:

killerv

I'm a believer in sure cycles, I had them in two different berettas and currently have one in my m1 12

Jester896

Senior Clown
that is how I know mine needs to be cleaned...I can almost hear the action in the stock. I always put a small dab of grease on the link and wipe most of it off.

earlthegoat2

I mentioned the Franchi AL-48 above because it was under $1000 but I would have recommended the Benelli Ultra Light otherwise.

I suppose some will say that one is a hard kicker too but I never noticed just like I never noticed it in the AL-48.

Robert28

I have an A300 ultima and it’s the fastest cycling, softest shooting, shotgun I’ve ever owned. It really is the best deal you can get for under $1000 these days. Word on the street is Beretta rebadged a 391 with some 400 updates and wanted to compete with the Turkish shotguns that have been flooding the market.

If you’re gonna buy a Benelli, go with the M2. I sold my SBE2 for an M2 and glad I did! Thing is a tank and 100% reliable, it just doesn’t shoot as soft as that A300 and dang sure doesn’t cycle as fast.

Robert28

I’m seeing a lot of love for Retay shotguns lately. My local store has tons of them and said they sell like crazy, that’s why he keeps ordering more.

Nimrod71

If I wanted a New Auto Shotgun I would purchase a TriStar. If I wanted a Classic I would go with a Rem. 1100, Beretta 390A, Browning B80.

Buford_Dawg

Don't you love choices... IMO, it is tough to find a bad autoloader shotgun anymore. I have 1100s, 11-87s, Benellis M2, Franchis all setting in gun safe. They all shoot 100% of the time since I bought them. I hear Stoegers are excellent shotguns too. I think it is preference of gas vs inertia. I have numerous of both types and like them all.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Yildiz A-71. You could buy three of them for that price. Not that you'd need to. Had mine for 7-8 years and it has been flawless with any load I've run through it.

Similar to Buford_Dawg, but I will add a Remington Versamax to the mix. Current waterfowl gun is an Affinity. For dove/marsh hen M2 20 gauge. Ruger Red Label 20 gauge for quail. All seem to go bang when I pull the trigger Light cleaning after every hunt. Deep cleaning at the end of the season.

Some good discussions here . Have to agree with the thought of a used 391 or 1100. Clay shooters have put thousands of rounds thru these two guns . My 1100 took a beating as a duck gun many years ago , it still cycles , just gets pushed to back of safe due to my O/U s.
The 391 needs a good take down after 500 rounds , never heard any complaints on the 391.

Good tip on the stock spring.

BBQOutdoors77

My son got a A400 upland in 20 ga that is a sweet gun but it is 1800
Has he had any feed issues? I’ve heard some of them have had problems. I don’t mind paying a little extra. I saw one at Cabelas the other day and the fit and finish was nice.

Latest posts