Best duck boat for the coast

Budda

Any of ya got input on the best duck boat for hunting the coast? Was looking fer a war eagle but they are as scarce as a family tree that branches in alabama. Lowe, Excel and of course grizzly have decent 2070 or 2072's but would like to know if any of ya got any feedback otherwise.

Mexican Squealer

I’ve got a small War Eagle I hunt the marsh with. Wouldn’t want to do much in the sound or big water with it. I’d say any welded boat big enough for the type of hunting (marsh, open water etc) you are looking to do.

across the river

What coast are you talking about? What kind of hunting? Do you plan to fish out of it too?

This. Asking what boat is best for the coast is like asking what lawnmower is best for your lawn. How big is the yard, what kind of grass it, how "finished" do you want it to look, how much money do you have to spend, etc..... If you were strictly looking to hunt seaducks in big water you would probably get something different than if you were just planning on hunting the marsh. If you want to have the opportunity to hunt both, then you would need something that might not be perfecter either but would work for both. Willyou take it out of state? If I were strictly hunting Georgia with it,I would make sure it was good fishing boat first and foremost.

MudDucker

Staff member
I hunt the coast with an 1854 Prodigy and it handles the water fine. However, I always watch the weather and wave patterns before I go and there are times, when I just don't risk it.

I know a lot of guys who use larger center consoles to pull layout boats, which is a better all weather solution.

I have a 17 .4 bass tracker grizzly and it does ok

kevbo3333

i just sold my 1851 prodigy. I have hunted gulf coast in it with no real issues. Having said that i am about to have either a prodigy or Uncle J built to my specs. I want a 2072 with 24” sides with a 115 sho. That size boat will handle some rougher waters than my 1851 and will be much more reliable than a surface drive. When I need to hunt shallow I can haul pirogues and paddle into the shallow ponds I hunt in SELA

Gator89

My brother has the big War Eagle with a Gator Tail motor, if I remember correctly it is a 40 hp air cooled engine. He uses it to fish the low winter tides in the Cedar Key/Waccassasa Bay area of the Gulf.

JROESEL

I’ve got a 2472 excel, I wouldn’t hesitate to go back with a excel, just watch who does the wiring of your accessories (graphs, light bars,etc), I’ve got a beaver tail 5 man hole blind on it, and it hunts great, it has a 200hp on the back, you can get a 20’ or 21’, I do everything from deer, fish, ducks, out of mine, I love it

I’ve got a 2472 excel, I wouldn’t hesitate to go back with a excel, just watch who does the wiring of your accessories (graphs, light bars,etc), I’ve got a beaver tail 5 man hole blind on it, and it hunts great, it has a 200hp on the back, you can get a 20’ or 21’, I do everything from deer, fish, ducks, out of mine, I love it

How tall of sides? 30”?

Budda

I was talking about the Atlantic. Intercostal waterway and it’s creeks. Wanting to hunt the sea ducks and also use it for fishing the same area as well as in the lakes like Carter’s and Hartwell

Budda

Leaning towards a Lowe 2070 or 1860. The 1860 has a jet drive and I ain’t sure how a jet drive would do on salt water. Everything I see on line says they could work but ain’t a great idea. The 2072 has a 150 on it not a jet drive though

jNick

If you’re planning on running big water make sure that you buy an all welded hull with a mod-v bow or you’ll get beat to death. Do not buy a flat bottom boat.

I currently have a 1642 Grizzly Mod-V with a Go-Devil 35 SD that when trimmed down will plow through 2-3’s with ease.
I have a 1854 Gatortail mod v rig on order.

Make sure that you get a high transom hull (20”).

Last edited:

MudDucker

Staff member
I've run multiple types of aluminum boats. I agree that you need an all welded hull. Rivets will come loose with saltwater use. There is no perfect boat. As for flat bottomed or not, I got rid of my Tracker 1860 because it would not go shallow enough for me. I run 4-6" of water a lot. I have a 1854 flat bottom boat with a V front and while it will beat you some, it's tolerable, especially when you are using it to run real shallow. I had the bottom coated and I can tell you, a flat bottom boat is much easier to get unstuck that a boat with a v or with ribs.