Best Source for Wildlife Trees?

fatback

I am in south central Georgia and I am planning on planting some wildlife trees on my new place this winter. I'm looking at persimmons, pears, Dustan chestnuts, some oaks, etc... I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations as to a source for the trees. I'd like to plant some of the larger trees, 5 or 7 gallon containers. I know with the persimmons I need female trees to bear fruit but will also need some males for pollination. Any reputable sources within an hour of Valdosta? Thanks

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Another vote for the Wildlife Group. All the trees I’ve bought from them have done well.

fatback

I had heard that about Ty Ty. Gonna give a couple of the others calls next week and see what I can get lined up. Appreciate all the input.

Not a nursery recommendation but a comment on pears and to a lesser degree apples.

European pears in general are highly susceptible to fireblight which thrives in climates with warm humid springs during the bloom which is how fireblight invades the tree. Apples are also vulnerable though much less so.
However, there are crosses of European and Asian pears, which are more resistant from the Asian parentage, such as kieffer, orient, pineapple that do well in the south. Look for those or selections developed or naturally arising in the south. Fortunately there is a huge interest in southern pears and there are dozens of selections available.
Apples struggle more with their need for cooler climates as they originated on the eurasian steppe. Some selections just won't do outside the mountain south while there are many arose on the coastal south so use due diligence.
A couple nursery lists to look at for southern cultivars are Just Fruits and Exotics out of Florida and Kuffel Creek out of southern California for apples that do well in the heat.
Both to expensive for wildlife plantings but a starting point on what may do well in the south.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
Just Fruits & Exotics, as mentioned, Crawfordville...Espisitos Tallahasse had a decent variety this time last year??

One thing to consider if you've got a green thumb, space and time. Plant a named cultivar in the yard for personal use then grafting when its large enough to provide scion wood.
Pears should be easy as callery pear rootstock is everywhere.

MOTS

I'd plant persimmons on every vacant spot for deer.

glynr329

If lived closer to this place I would be there when they opened

Attachments

• 20211121_042724.jpg
    20211121_042724.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 112